• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Agent Lomas

Manager
25/01/2014 - Hull City (H)

We've Tamed The Lions, Now For The Tigers!

This weekend sees Blues take on Premier League side Hull City in the FA Cup 4th Round. We haven't played The Tigers since the 2009/2010 season in the Carling Cup, when they beat us 3-1 at the KC Stadium. (Moussa scored for us). We first played them in 1959, when we lost 3-2. Hull currently sit 11th in the Premier League, 5 points from safety and 28 points off top.

Saturday's game is a sellout, so lets hope everyone gets behind the Blues in what is our first 4th round appearance since 06/07 when we lost 3-1 to Spurs.

Hull's Last 5 Results:

Norwich City (A) - L 1-0
Chelsea (H) - L 0-2
Middlesbrough (A) - W 2-0 - McLean, Proschwitz
Liverpool (A) - L 0-2
Fulham (H) - W 6-0 - Elmohamedy, Koren (2), Boyd, Huddlestone, Fryatt

Out of 11 away games they have played this season, Hull have:

Won: 1
Drawn: 2
Lost: 8

Fact

Hull are yet to score a league goal this year, with the only goals being scored so far i 2014 coming in their FA Cup 3rd round triumph at Middlesbrough, where they won 2-0.

How the teams lined up (Last Meeting):

Southend United: Mildenhall, Barrett, Heath, M'Voto, Francis, McCormack, Moussa, Grant (Betsy '69), Revell, Barnard (Walker '83), Christophe (Sawyer '78)

Subs Not Used: Joyce, Sankofa, Scannell, Freedman

Hull City: Warner, Mouyokolo, Cooper, Doyle, Atkinson - Yes, our one! (Ghilas '73), Cairney (Kilbane '73), Halmosi, Barmby (Geovanni '59), Featherstone, Fagan, Altidore

Subs Not Used: Duke, Zayatte, Mendy, Cousin

How the teams lined up in both their last league games:

Southend United: Bentley, O'Neill (Thompson '44), Coker, Leonard, Phillips, Prosser, Atkinson, Timlin (Eastwood '80), Corr, Hurst, Straker (Woodrow '74)

Subs Not Used: Smith, Laird, Clifford, Payne

Hull: McGregor, Elmohamedy, Rosenior, Davies, Bruce, Chester (Figueroa '15), Livermore, Koren (Fryatt '82), Jelavic, Sagbo (Boyd '67), Huddlestone

Subs Not Used: Meyler, Harper, Faye, Quinn

Hull's Likely Line Up:

Steve Harper

Former Clubs: Newcastle, Bradford (Loan), Gateshead (Loan), Stockport (Loan), Hartlepool (Loan), Huddersfield (Loan), Brighton (Loan)

CAREER GOALS: 0

Paul McShane

Former Clubs: Manchester United, Walsall (Loan), Brighton (Loan), West Brom, Sunderland, Hull (Loan), Barnsley (Loan), Crystal Palace (Loan)

CAREER GOALS: 12

Abdoulaye Faye

Former Clubs: ASEC Ndiambour, Jeanne D'Arc, Lens, Istres (Loan) Bolton, Newcastle, Stoke City, West Ham

CAREER GOALS: 14

Alex Bruce

Former Clubs: Blackburn, Oldham (Loan), Birmingham, Oldham (Loan), Sheffield Wednesday (Loan), Tranmere (Loan), Ipswich Town, Leicester City (Loan), Leeds, Huddersfield (Loan)

CAREER GOALS: 3

Joe Dudgeon

Former Clubs: Manchester United, Carlisle

David Meyler

Former Clubs: Cork City, Sunderland, Hull (Loan)

CAREER GOALS: 7

Conor Henderson

Former Clubs: Arsenal, Coventry City (Loan)

Stephen Quinn

Former Clubs: St.Patrick's Athletic, Sheffield United, MK Dons (Loan), Rotherham Utd (Loan)

CAREER GOALS: 24

George Boyd

Former Clubs: Stevenage, Peterborough, Notts Forest (Loan), Hull (Loan)

CAREER GOALS: 77

Matty Fryatt

Former Clubs: Walsall, Carlisle (Loan), Leicester, Sheffield Wednesday (Loan from Hull)

CAREER GOALS: 113

Yannick Sagbo

Former Clubs: Monaco B, Monaco, Evian

CAREER GOALS: 27

This is going to be another tough game for Blues. Hull are a strong, organised, attacking side with plently of talent at their disposal. Brown V Bruce. Who will come out on top? Saturday will reveal all!

Players To Watch:

Alex Bruce
George Boyd
Matty Fryatt

UTB!!​

Last edited:
Looking forward to this one. I know we are waiting on the fitness of the new boy at RB.

Bentley
Thompson/o'neil Prosser Phillips Coker

Hurst Timlin Leonard Atkinson Straker

Corr

A great opportunity for a cup upset here, lets not fool ourselves it is a long shot. We need Hull to field a 'weakened' side, we have to play very well, need the fans to get right on the hull players backs they wont like a tight little hostile ground on a soggy winters day. Come on southend.....one more moment of magic please

Hull will score first - we will score 10mins to go, and get the winner on 93mins....

Looking forward to this one. I know we are waiting on the fitness of the new boy at RB.

Bentley

Corr

A great opportunity for a cup upset here, lets not fool ourselves it is a long shot. We need Hull to field a 'weakened' side, we have to play very well, need the fans to get right on the hull players backs they wont like a tight little hostile ground on a soggy winters day. Come on southend.....one more moment of magic please

To be fair, I think we'll struggle to out-grim Hull!

This all depends on how we come out of the blocks. If it's the same as how we did against the likes of Millwall & Chesterfield, I genuinely believe we have a great chance of a cup upset. Hull won't be playing there strongest 11, but they obviously will still have the quality.

Absoloutly buzzing for this, and I'm going for a 2-1 win, with Hurst smashing in a 90th minute winner In front of a sold out Roots Hall. I can dream.

COYB!!

A major worry for me will be over eagerness and some early yellow cards to Atko, MP, Luke or Tims. I watched Mr Mason last night and he had a fair officiating game but can he forget his Premiership roots and see things a Blue way?

We must get stuck into them from the off, give them no room to play. My heart says an upset, my head says Hull by at least 2 goals, I just cant see us shutting them down for 90 min, so going for 2 0 Hull, o how I hope im wrong

Ahead of Saturday's game, Hull have today signed Elliot Kebbie on a short-term deal until the end of the season. He is available for selection on saturday.

In other Hull news, defender James Chester is facing a minimum of 6 weeks on the sidelines due to a hamstring injury picked up in last week's 1-0 defeat to Norwich.

They have also let German striker Nick Proschwitz join Barnsley on loan.

To be fair, I think we'll struggle to out-grim Hull!

For sure.
You can sometimes say that Prem teams won't like a L2 pitch on a cold Jan day , but the weather ( if it turned colder ) certainly wouldn't bother anyone who plays regularly in Hull.
Without doubt one of the coldest places I've ever visited in the UK

Graham isn't even Hull's player, he is on loan from Sunderland. He is being linked to Forest, but so is Fryatt along with several Championship clubs.

Thanks for the Chapperz but i was aware that he isnt Hull's player. Was just surprised that CP thinks he will play for Hull on Saturday when most of the press are saying he will be at Forest by then.

Our dynamism in midfield will be the key to any upset, the boys can’t hold back and must keep them under pressure. The risk of a yellow card is there but we have Clifford and Gomis on the bench should someone start looking like they are at risk of getting their marching orders. No change from Saturday’s line up for me O’Neill or Thompson depending on fitness. I’m going to call it now, I can see Straker having a MOTM performance and causing them problems.

2-1 win with Hurst scoring first and £175 in my back pocket and nice away trip to Liverpool in the 5th round. :winking:

Bentley

Corr

We are also waiting on an update on the position with Whitey. 3 weeks it was said to be ........ and 3 weeks have now passed (well nearly).

Back