• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Smudger

Manager
Pre-season I seem to recall him getting a standing ovation (vs Gillingham I think?) and agents were driving to Roots Hall to offer him contracts and sex with their sisters etc. Then he gets a two year deal and decides to take the season off. I know he was injured for quite a time, but did anyone see him play in the reserves? Is he one for the future or a future Donkey Broughton/Danny Webb/Antonio Richards?

yeah an exciting prospect and I fear, though hope not, it's a curse of the pen to paper syndrome wehereupon afterwards lethargitis and brittle bone disease snaps in.
I just hope next season he sets Roots Hall on fire.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ May 10 2004,11:43)]I just hope next season he sets Roots Hall on fire.
Come on, the ground isn't that bad!
wink.gif

He has had a frustrating season after injuring his knee ligaments. He said he wants to get a decent pre-season in and then be challenging for a 1st team spot. Spoke to him at the bowling night last week, nice lad + said he is enjoying it at Southend. Lets see how he does in pre-season and give him some encouragement!
smile.gif

If only being quick and being a 'nice lad' were the only prerequisites for a career in professional football.......

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ May 10 2004,12:11)]If only being quick and being a 'nice lad' were the only prerequisites for a career in professional football.......
Perhaps he could build a career in chasing down handbag snatchers/pickpockets.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smudger @ May 10 2004,11:41)]Pre-season I seem to recall him getting a standing ovation (vs Gillingham I think?) and agents were driving to Roots Hall to offer him contracts and sex with their sisters etc. Then he gets a two year deal and decides to take the season off. I know he was injured for quite a time, but did anyone see him play in the reserves? Is he one for the future or a future Donkey Broughton/Danny Webb/Antonio Richards?
I think it's easy to forget that he's still very young. However, although I don't neccessarily see his future away from Roots Hall, it's very frustrating watching him sometimes in the reserves, and he'll be just running and running but then there's no end product.

It took until the last second-string game of the season for him to have a shot from outside of the penalty area, and it actually looked pretty good. Given the way that he seems like he doesn't really want to back himself, I can see him spending some time on the flanks, which, given that I've witnessed him play there a couple of times now, isn't such a good thing.

The most worrying thing was that in April and May he seemed to have a couple of yards less lightning-quick pace. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and putting it down to injury, and after a good pre-season fingers crossed he'll be as right as rain again. He's good at linking the play and his passing's pretty good, so there's a left-wing spot there for him IMHO.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Exiled Shrimper @ May 10 2004,12:46)]... he'll be just running and running but then there's no end product.
Sounds like a certain Scott Forbes ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ May 10 2004,12:50)]........and Barry Harris      
wink.gif
My girlfriend pointed Barry Harris out on Saturday, and it was the end of the game and he was looking over at the Torquay fans celebrating nearly with a tear in his eye. You could almost read what he was thinking, like the rest of us, that those celebrating fans should be us.
I don't know you personally sir, you are legendary, and if only I had had my camera

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ May 10 2004,12:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ May 10 2004,12:50)]........and Barry Harris      
wink.gif
My girlfriend pointed Barry Harris out on Saturday, and it was the end of the game and he was looking over at the Torquay fans celebrating nearly with a tear in his eye. You could almost read what he was thinking, like the rest of us, that those celebrating fans should be us.
I don't know you  personally sir, you are legendary, and if only I had had my camera
If I was Steve Tilson, I would use that picture of the players celebrating with the fans at the end of the game as our team did their lap of honour as the best possible motivating tool for success next year: "Look over there, lads. 2004/5 - that's us".

wouldnt it be nice to do it at birdbrain road!! i can see it now 5000 shrimpers invading east london with only 500 tickets available, a last min winner seals promotion...ahhhh
biggrin.gif

Nah next season he wil be a very good striker ever husbands and connie or husbands and dudfield then we got a goal scorer and a target up front and someone with blistering pace!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ May 10 2004,12:52)]My girlfriend pointed Barry Harris out on Saturday, and it was the end of the game and he was looking over at the Torquay fans celebrating nearly with a tear in his eye.
Barry still had the same tear in his eye on Sunday morning.

The truth became apparent in the changing room and Barry felt much better after the Butt Plug was removed.
laugh.gif

Michael smiled at me over his bowling performance - therefore his ok in my book.

Leeboy kindly remarked that it was because I was the only female there over the age of 7

Ta for that one Lee.......

Back