• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Hutchinson's League debut reward for hard work

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell felt Isaac Hutchinson's League debut was a reward for his hard work this season.

More...

Doesn't coming up for his league debut in the dying seconds of a game completely devalue the kids achievement? A bit like when players earn England caps for wondering onto the park 6 minutes into injury time of a friendly against Costa Rica.

I hope we do actually see more of him in the 2nd half of the season.

Doesn't coming up for his league debut in the dying seconds of a game completely devalue the kids achievement? A bit like when players earn England caps for wondering onto the park 6 minutes into injury time of a friendly against Costa Rica.

I hope we do actually see more of him in the 2nd half of the season.

Clubs often seem to give kids a minute or two in their debut; its happened so often down the years. I wonder whether it isnt about just giving the 'feel' of being on the pitch on their debut without the pressure of needing to do anything (or have time for their nerves to mean they make a mistake)...

Clubs often seem to give kids a minute or two in their debut; its happened so often down the years. I wonder whether it isnt about just giving the 'feel' of being on the pitch on their debut without the pressure of needing to do anything (or have time for their nerves to mean they make a mistake)...

I think there's an element of that, but Isaac had already featured in the 1st team at Luton and at home to Cambridge in the CheckATrade.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen him have an earlier chance to contribute in the match. He actually didn't touch the ball at all.

he was waiting for the ball to go out of play in a convenient position for a good 5 minutes .

Accrington were limiting us scoring any more by playing keep ball at the back for some while and when the did get it forward it went off for a corner so we didn't make the change

He was going to get 5+ minutes but we conceded consecutive corners and and didn't want to make a change at a defensive set piece and then the ball wouldn't go out of play. Imagine how nervous he must have been that the ball wouldn't go out and he'd never get to come on!

Bah, beaten to it by Firestorm.

He'll get his chance if he keeps working hard. Chris Powell has shown he is not afraid to play the young players if they show the right attitude. As it should be.

I think there's an element of that, but Isaac had already featured in the 1st team at Luton and at home to Cambridge in the CheckATrade.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen him have an earlier chance to contribute in the match. He actually didn't touch the ball at all.

This is kind of my point. What is the point in introducing a player to league football for the first time if they aren't going to get an opportunity to do anything.

I get that the plan might of been to bring him on a few minutes earlier but the game didn't really allow it, but even if the sub was completed at the planned time there would have been very little chance to get involved in any meaningful way.

It just seems a token gesture and it's not like Isaac is going to of learnt anything from the experience at all, especially, as AndyT said, he has appeared for the 1st team in other competitions.

I don't doubt he will get further opportunities under SCP, I have just always wondered what benefit(s) any of the parties involved gain from these kinds of scenarios

I wish Powell would choose his words more carefully. How can two meaningless minutes constitute 'a reward'? Recognition maybe, but 'reward', honestly!

I wish Powell would choose his words more carefully. How can two meaningless minutes constitute 'a reward'? Recognition maybe, but 'reward', honestly!

Things are definitely looking up if people are now only criticising him for his vocabulary and the lateness of his substitutions - it's like it's the Tilson era all over again:Smile:

It's not like Isaac is the only player to be brought on in the last couple of minutes is it guys !!

I'm not sure it was 5 minutes waiting for the opportunity.

He certainly wasn't ready to come on when the 4th official indicated the time added on.

My view was he should have come on when Coxy was subbed at 3-0

Disappointed that Hutchinson didn’t come on instead of Kightly, in the 80th minute or whenever it was, that would have been a more fitting ‘reward’.

30 seconds pitch time when you’re 3 up is BS!

Hope he and others get a decent run out in the near future.

Someone also made the point to me that it may indeed be a reward. Not beyond the realms of possibility that there was a financial bonus for making his league debut.

I think we'd all like to have seen him come on earlier but it was more important that we won and won well. We have four games coming up in a fortnight - Isaac will get more minutes I am sure.

Agreed, Jai, on the winning the game, but he was coming on to play upfront or high up the pitch.

I could see the argument more if he was a centre-half and it was only 2-0, for example.

If anything, his pace and energy on the break might have got us a 4th goal.

Just felt SCP was over cautious and too protective.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about Chris Powell's ability to nurture young players. We've seen exactly how good he is at that already.

Back