• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I am Trying To Learn To Play The Guitar.

Lord Football

Blues on Tour
.....and my fingers f*****g hurt.

Ok, so I thought in the post Mrs LF era, I'd do something different. So I've invested in an electric guitar (no gay acoustic **** for me, its not rock n roll enough). It's black and has knobs on it.

I can play all the basic chords apart from F coz that's dead complicated and involves all five fingers (at times like this I wish I was from Colchester coz the extra finger would be useful).

My aim is to play at the Talent Night at our Union Conference in Brighhton. So I've got about 9 months to be able to knock out a tune properly or I will look a bigger c**t than usual.

Anyone learn to play one of these things, how long did it take before you considered yourself competent?

Been playing since the wee age of 5. Just keep going with it, your fingers soon develop harder skin on the tips to cope. I practice for about 4-5 hours a day (whilst sitting at laptop listening to music). 9 months is a long time to learn one song, plenty of time. If you want some tips or anything feel free to ask :)

Ok, so I thought in the post Mrs LF era, I'd do something different. So I've invested in an electric guitar (no gay acoustic **** for me, its not rock n roll enough). It's black and has knobs on it.

I can play all the basic chords apart from F coz that's dead complicated and involves all five fingers (at times like this I wish I was from Colchester coz the extra finger would be useful).

My aim is to play at the Talent Night at our Union Conference in Brighhton. So I've got about 9 months to be able to knock out a tune properly or I will look a bigger c**t than usual.

Anyone learn to play one of these things, how long did it take before you considered yourself competent?

You really should play the acoustic and sing gay protest songs LF.

To answer your question as well as I can, it took me about six months to get half decent but that was on the bass, which I believe is easier to grasp to an adequate standard, but harder to be expert at.

Sorry for the cop out, but the obvious answer is that it depends. If you're gifted (and as a commie, I doubt that), it'll be a few weeks. My missus is an amazing guitarist and irritates me by saying she taught herself in two weeks. But if you practice a lot you should be able to make your fellow reds enjoy a bit of Wild Thing.

To answer your question as well as I can, it took me about six months to get half decent but that was on the bass, which I believe is easier to grasp to an adequate standard, but harder to be expert at.
The bass is so much easier as there aren't any chords to play on it, the only difficulty is moving from fret to fret in time whilst keeping rhythm

Why don't you just play with yourself, afterall you have been doing that for years and you must be an expert by now.

Do people still belong to unions?

Yes. TSSA.

LF - I'm also learning at the moment, but on an acoustic with plastic strings on the last three strings which is a bit easier on the fingers.

Also learning to read music which isn't as scary as I thought. I suggest you find a professional teacher to give you some guidance as in the past I've tried "solo" and given up, but now can play some basic "single" string songs (Ode to Joy) and have about 5 chords underneath my belt - though moving my left hand quick enough at the moment isn't there!

Like DOTM said, practice, practice, practice!

Maybe I'll join you on stage and we can do a Woody Guthrie/Billy Bragg set ;)

Last edited:
its all about the practice really, you'll be surprised just how many frets you can cover after a few months! , best tip is to learn songs you want to play, then you can play along until you reach the speed you need, and dont give up on the bar chords even if it hurts like a bitch at first!
Theres plenty of guitar tablature floating about on the net, ( http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/ ) or buy tab books on flea bay, youtube has stacks of lessons, only other advice I can give other then practice, is , get in the habit of crosspicking (up then down stroke), use all four fingers on the fret board!! practise till your fingers almost bleed (they will toughen up!) and be realistic dont try and nail a song on your first play
icon_smile.gif

when i was younger and had the time i practised 3 hours a day, and after about 6months I was able to play quite a lot.

its all about the practice really, you'll be surprised just how many frets you can cover after a few months! when i was younger and had the time i practised 3 hours a day, and after about 6months I was able to play quite a lot.

"I practised daily in my room/you were down 'The Crown' planning...your next move" (The Clash - 'Stay Free'). It worked for Mick Jones too, my Lord!

i know it doesn't help but....

And if the world does turn, and if London burns
I'll be standing on the beach with my guitar
I want to be in a band, when I get to heaven
Anyone can play guitar
And they won't be a nothing anymore

i know it doesn't help but....

And if the world does turn, and if London burns
I'll be standing on the beach with my guitar
I want to be in a band, when I get to heaven
Anyone can play guitar
And they won't be a nothing anymore

cool tune!

live the guitar, eat the guitar, watch tv with the guitar, have a dump with the guitar, make love with the guitar...dont stop for years. when you then get divorced, cos your wife is ****ed off with you paying too much attention to the guitar, really start to play 24 hours a day..its the only way

live the guitar, eat the guitar, watch tv with the guitar, have a dump with the guitar, make love with the guitar...dont stop for years. when you then get divorced, cos your wife is ****ed off with you paying too much attention to the guitar, really start to play 24 hours a day..its the only way

How prophetic.

I have been playing for about 5 years now, it is hard at first, you ask any guitarist that, but when you get used to playing your guitar, it becomes easier to play. It didnt take me long to play a tune, start off with the basics and build from there, and soon you will be getting more confidence! Bit of advice, make sure you have got, and carry spare strings, you never know when strings are going to break! :)

Soak your fingertips in surgical spirit to toughen them up a bit. After you've been playing for a while the skin will start to callus of its own accord.

Back