• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The_Beard

Schoolboy
Been working on this for the last couple of days and anyone who's read Soccernomics (Or Why England Lose...); Moneyball or Freakonomics will know where I'm coming from. There are no great surprises in there, but I do think it makes interesing reading. Eventually I want to look at the impact of every player both at the halfway point of the season (now) and at the end of the season.

If anything I think it highlights two things:

1) maybe we don't need a striker as much as we think we do

and

2) things aren't all THAT bad

Please give it a read if you get the chance.

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/entr...-SUFC-and-why-Mohsni-should-not-play-up-front.

Lots of work and stats in there The Beard and it all makes sense - but leaves no room for a 'gut feeling punt'. You surely couldnt deny that if you walked in to Roots Hall tonight and found him named up front, you wouldnt have just a little tingle of anticipation?

Good stuff.

I'm nearly finished with When England Lose now, and I'd recommend any Southend fan to read it, if only to provide some perspective with the situation we're in. The argument about the actual worth of a manager really is intriguing, as is the way they have singled out Sturrock.

Cheers chaps. I've looked at Granty too (as I suspected he, Mohsni and Corr are the three most influential players in the team - in terms of results) but as he's only missed 2 league games all season and in those 2 games we scored 3 and achieved 3 points it actually made it look like we are better WITHOUT Grant!

That's part of why Mohsni is such a rich vein to tap for analysis, he's missed enough games for his absence to be noticeable. Add to that, that he and Corr have only played exactly half of our games together and you've got a really stable set of reuslts to look at.

Someone where I work has suggested I look in to the "Soares Effect" next....:dizzy:

Cheers chaps. I've looked at Granty too (as I suspected he, Mohsni and Corr are the three most influential players in the team - in terms of results) but as he's only missed 2 league games all season and in those 2 games we scored 3 and achieved 3 points it actually made it look like we are better WITHOUT Grant!

That's part of why Mohsni is such a rich vein to tap for analysis, he's missed enough games for his absence to be noticeable. Add to that, that he and Corr have only played exactly half of our games together and you've got a really stable set of reuslts to look at.

Someone where I work has suggested I look in to the "Soares Effect" next....:dizzy:

I agree it's too small a sample size to be conclusive, but I suggested before he was suspended/injured that we may be a better team without Grant who plays as an individual so I certainly wouldn't dismiss this as a possibility.

I think looking at Gilbert and Sturrock's contributions might be interesting.

I dropped a big log last night whilst reading that blog.

No lie.

And also ordered When England Lose on Amazon for 18p.

Great stuff.

After last night's game, the average points per game where both Mohsni and Corr featured (albiet not at the same time) went up to 1.76. That's promotion form based on last seasons League 2 final standings.

I thought that was very interesting and well presented well done mate

Back