• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Hogg

President
football. Even after all these years.
Luggy is a well respected manager and tactician. He steers Southend United to the Play-Off's with Wembley and ultimately promotion in sight.
We have to beat Crewe Alexandra. Crewe accumultated the least points of the play-off teams. They conceded the most goals of the four play-off teams. We were the highest scorers in the division.

Yet, we appeared to set out to merely contain Crewe.
I understand that teams at times have to contain. Chelsea had to shut up shop at Barca, simply because Barcelona have better players, are a superior team. Chelsea knew they could not match them without just holding out.

Yet, we are a better team than Crewe, we finished 11 points clear of Crewe, we scored more goals than Crewe and we conceded less goals than Crewe. Oh and we beat Crewe both home and away during the season, scoring four times and conceding just once.

Yet, we gave them the phsycological advantage of employing tactics that suggested we were overly respectful of Crewe..or even a little scared of them????

Why?? We have goal potential in Harris, Moshni, Eastwood, Hall, Phillips, Ferdinand and even Timlin. Yet we go to defend.

Why? We have now meekly handed over the only advantage Crewe have had over us all season...just when it really, really counts.

I suppose this post sums up that I really will never understand football tactics, phsycology ..and certainly could never have been a manager!!

Yet, despite all that, we created more than enough chances to win the game. Paul Sturrock plays to a formula based on percentages - play the ball forward, use the front men as playmakers, be effective in the final third and tight at the back, set up well for the set-pieces (sigh, if only yesterday!!), etc.

With a football philosophy that's far from pretty on the eye, Paul has always needed to produce results or quickly find himself under pressure - just look back over the season and how people have responded to the highs and lows.

We've been one of the most effective teams in UK football away from home so far this season. Perhaps yesterday was just a bad day at the office as we had a few players under-performing and the result just didn't come off.

If we can't overcome a 1-0 deficit in the home leg, we don't deserve to go through. IMHO.

To me, it Appears that a few of our so called 'Big Players' tend to go missing in Big games this season. Luckily, Wednesday night gives these players another chance to perform.

The likes of Gilbert, Barker, Grant, Harris etc give it all - now it's time for the Likes of Hall, Mohsni, Ferdinand to produce in the biggest game of the season!!!!

Despite losing yesterday, I feel that the players must be confident under the lights at Roots Hall. They will collectively know (Sure Luggy will empthasise) that we can perform better individually and as a Team.

UTB

What Silencer said. While less favored players like Harris, Gilbert and Grant played as well as they have lately, the 'big name' players like Hall, Mohsni and even Clohessy (who watching the replays I'm sure was meant to be marking the goalscorer) looked nervous and out of their depth. Hopefully they can get over these nerves by Wednesday.

I may also be mystified if it was a one-off game, but I'm sure the plan was to keep it tight and not concede in the first leg and then we can go for it at home on Wednesday.

The worst thing would have been for us to have a go at them , which then would have allowed them more time and space and they could have easily got one or two themselves.

As it is, we're one down but it's only half time.

When we went on our 17 game unbeaten run, Swindon were the last side we lost to and they were the ones who ended the run, winning 2-1 after being 1-0 down.

There's a little bit of symmetry there... Crewe are 17 games unbeaten, we were the last team to beat them and we are 1-0 down.

I predict a 2-0 on Wednesday.

You are not better than the Crewe team of the 2nd half of the season

You are not better than the Crewe team of the 2nd half of the season

We must be, we finished 4th and Crewe 7th, the league is based on a whole season not half. If that were the case we would have been promoted by Christmas.

The play offs however are a different kettle of fish.

Hard to moan about tactics yesterday, I think the consensus was we all would have Kane in for a striker. It's a system that has served us well, but not as well as we would have hoped in hindsight. It works best when Kane gets around Harris, Hall plays well and Moshni can make his late runs to be an aerial threat. Yesterday, that didn't really happen, but its not over yet...

We are all far from tactical geniuses but surely you should play your best eleven in a confident positive formation.

We are all far from tactical geniuses but surely you should play your best eleven in a confident positive formation.
Depends on what the aim was, there's nothing wrong with playing defensively away from home and then going for the win at home. Obviously conceding wasn't part of the plan but it's far from over.

Luggy is a well respected manager and tactician. He steers Southend United to the Play-Off's with Wembley and ultimately promotion in sight.
We have to beat Crewe Alexandra. Crewe accumultated the least points of the play-off teams. They conceded the most goals of the four play-off teams. We were the highest scorers in the division.

I understand that teams at times have to contain. Chelsea had to shut up shop at Barca, simply because Barcelona have better players, are a superior team. Chelsea knew they could not match them without just holding out.

Yet, we are a better team than Crewe, we finished 11 points clear of Crewe, we scored more goals than Crewe and we conceded less goals than Crewe. Oh and we beat Crewe both home and away during the season, scoring four times and conceding just once.

Yet, we gave them the phsycological advantage of employing tactics that suggested we were overly respectful of Crewe..or even a little scared of them????

Why?? We have goal potential in Harris, Moshni, Eastwood, Hall, Phillips, Ferdinand and even Timlin. Yet we go to defend.

Why? We have now meekly handed over the only advantage Crewe have had over us all season...just when it really, really counts.

I suppose this post sums up that I really will never understand football tactics, phsycology ..and certainly could never have been a manager!!

We deployed the same tactic that got us results against torquay and Oxford and playing the way we have been shot us to the top of the form table.

It didnt work against Crewe but surely you can see the logic in why he did it.

We will revert back to 442 on Wednesday and hopefully we will see a performance matching one of the past 4 home games, and with any luck the same result.

We didn't go out to contain Crewe we just respected their form and tried to keep it tight going into the home leg, we have used these tactics for a lot of our away games and our record speak for itself. If it wasn't for a poorly defended free kick we'd be saying how sturrocks tactics were brilliant in containing crewes star players, only moore really gave us big problems in the first half. We had more shots on goal than them and had arguably the best chances the fault in our loss is down to a poor performance not bad tactics, Mohsni was ineffective and the delivery from wide positions was appalling I have no doubt that if Mohsni was given 1 or 2 more chances like the one he missed he would have got a goal.

Torquay finished higher than Cheltenham and from what I saw they went for it in the away leg, they're now going into their home leg 2 goals down and with and possibly out of the tie....

Such a thin line between success and faliure.

Agree with Kevins comments largely that for me would like to have seen a 4-4-2 with Freddy instead of Kane. That said if we had come away with a 1-1 or better and lets be honest we had the chance to do it then Sturrock would have been a tactical genius.

Proof is in the pudding and it all now depends what we do on Wednesday night.

Perhaps Luggy's tactics were designed to create an increase in Cheshire-based Shrimperzone members.
A cyncic might be getting the impression at the moment that the gentle folk of Crewe only dare venture onto other clubs forums when their team has won.

We didn't go out to contain Crewe we just respected their form and tried to keep it tight going into the home leg, we have used these tactics for a lot of our away games and our record speak for itself. If it wasn't for a poorly defended free kick we'd be saying how sturrocks tactics were brilliant in containing crewes star players, only moore really gave us big problems in the first half. We had more shots on goal than them and had arguably the best chances the fault in our loss is down to a poor performance not bad tactics, Mohsni was ineffective and the delivery from wide positions was appalling I have no doubt that if Mohsni was given 1 or 2 more chances like the one he missed he would have got a goal.

Torquay finished higher than Cheltenham and from what I saw they went for it in the away leg, they're now going into their home leg 2 goals down and with and possibly out of the tie....

This is spot on.

Interesting comments. It would seem the majority go with the manager on tactics...fair enough.

I disagree as I believe that Paul Sturrock has done extremely well to build a great squad and one that, in my opinion, would have been promoted automatically...but for the uber cautious approach.
Full marks to the manager from me for team building...I just wished he had the trust and belief to allow the team to play to it's full potential and not with it's wings well and truly clipped by so much caution.

Still, let's prove that we are indeed a better team than Crewe Alexandra!!

Interesting comments. It would seem the majority go with the manager on tactics...fair enough.

I disagree as I believe that Paul Sturrock has done extremely well to build a great squad and one that, in my opinion, would have been promoted automatically...but for the uber cautious approach.
Full marks to the manager from me for team building...I just wished he had the trust and belief to allow the team to play to it's full potential and not with it's wings well and truly clipped by so much caution.

Still, let's prove that we are indeed a better team than Crewe Alexandra!!

Your comments dont take into account the tactics were deployed for an away game only. We dont play like that at home.

I dont like the 451 we played and to be fair Sturrock has stopped using it when at home when we play 442. He has kept it for away games and its hard to argue against it when it got results against Oxford and Torquay.

Back