• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I hate to say it...

Chris Powell's mate

First XI⭐
...but the Colchester chairman has a point.

'Robbie Cowling believes 'there were alternatives (to cancelling).

'Games could at least have been played behind closed doors initially. We've got a fantastic streaming device in the EFL which allows people to log in and watch games and we could have made those available free to our season-ticket holders and sold them to other fans'.

All the same, am wondering whether 6,000 x £10, less season ticket holders, would really make a difference to us, and whether empty stadiums would be a help or a hindrance?

There was no way football was going to be played for weeks behind closed doors.
If the latest news about over 70's having to self isolate for up to 12 weeks is true, then the season will not start again in less than 3 weeks time.

Last edited:
He hasn’t got a point, Arteta and Hudson-Odoi have both been tested positive. I’m sure there are others in the EFL who have or are self isolating. Cancelling it for the time being is best possible option to prevent further spread.

His option basically says **** the managers, staff and players health.

He hasn’t got a point, Arteta and Hudson-Odoi have both been tested positive. I’m sure there are others in the EFL who have or are self isolating. Cancelling it for the time being is best possible option to prevent further spread.

Of course, it's easier to test the health of 34 players and a handful of staff before each hypothetical closed-doors game, no?

Of course, it's easier to test the health of 34 players and a handful of staff before each hypothetical closed-doors game, no?
So 50+ blood tests before each game. How long would that take?

Just seen the virus is expected to hit it's peak for us in 10 weeks time. I did originally think this season would be completed but I don't think that is possible now.

It’s also costly, and time-consuming. They made the right call. As hacked off as I am that there is no football, I don’t think there was really much of an alternative.

Just seen the virus is expected to hit it's peak for us in 10 weeks time. I did originally think this season would be completed but I don't think that is possible now.

If the elderly are going to be told to self-isolate for 3-4 months as is expected then I don’t see this season being completed. I think everybody needs to start coming to terms with that now. Attention will need to turn to arrangements to get things back to normal as quickly as possible for the 2020/21 season.

To answer that question: about two hours, if each club conducts its own tests. The club doctor gets results back quickly, and Robert's your father's brother, if they come back negative.

That said, football without spectators is surreal. The odd game on TV behind closed doors makes it look like something from Football Manager.

The League will look for radical answers on who gets promoted, relegated, goes bust, not to mention all those income streams down the Swanee.

The last thing they will do is abandon the season.

To answer that question: about two hours, if each club conducts its own tests. The club doctor gets results back quickly, and Robert's your father's brother, if they come back negative.

That said, football without spectators is surreal. The odd game on TV behind closed doors makes it look like something from Football Manager.

The League will look for radical answers on who gets promoted, relegated, goes bust, not to mention all those income streams down the Swanee.

The last thing they will do is abandon the season.

It might be the last thing they want to do, but everything will be on the table. They will want to be seen to have been as fair (or as un-unfair) as possible and their “radical answers” likely won’t achieve that.

I think he does have a point and cancelling all games was premature. By all means cancel games involving teams with players who have tested positive but there was no need for the blanket ban at this stage.

Unless all footballers, managers, trainers etc are being told to self isolate (which they are not) the idea that training together and playing football behind closed doors is going to restrict the spread of Covid-19 is flawed. If they are not at the training ground they will be somewhere else and in many cases in environments with more people.

Like millions of people in this country I commute to work on public transport and will come in to close contact with far more people on a daily basis than a footballer will. I am nothing special and expect to make the same journey on Monday. Its called getting on with life.

I was in Sainsburys on Saturday and thought what a good job their employees were doing to try and keep the shelves stocked in very trying circumstances. How many people will they come into contact with over the course of a day?

Footballers are fit young men with great access to medical facilities. By all means take sensible precautions such as self isolating where required but asking them to train and play together is not saying **** their health. After all it is only what the rest of us are doing.

The virus is now believed to have started in Wuhan China in november with the first death being on the 17th of november....Wuhan is still under restriction!
Two confident predictions: this will be nowhere near peak in three weeks time, and, forget about this season...it is gone!

Isn't it Ironic that a former Liverpool manager legend Bill Shankly, said football is not a matter of life and death ….its more than that.

Or is it?

If we, the uk, are bounced into taking drastic control measures too early by idiots in the media and peer pressure from Europe then there's no way the season will be able to be finished before the next season is due to start.
This is because there will be a second, and possibly a third peak as the susceptible come into contact with the virus at the end of the period of isolation which will end before it should cos we started it too early.
Its epidemiology, not rocket science.
Trust the experts, they know what they're doing.

I think he does have a point and cancelling all games was premature. By all means cancel games involving teams with players who have tested positive but there was no need for the blanket ban at this stage.

Unless all footballers, managers, trainers etc are being told to self isolate (which they are not) the idea that training together and playing football behind closed doors is going to restrict the spread of Covid-19 is flawed. If they are not at the training ground they will be somewhere else and in many cases in environments with more people.

Like millions of people in this country I commute to work on public transport and will come in to close contact with far more people on a daily basis than a footballer will. I am nothing special and expect to make the same journey on Monday. Its called getting on with life.

I was in Sainsburys on Saturday and thought what a good job their employees were doing to try and keep the shelves stocked in very trying circumstances. How many people will they come into contact with over the course of a day?

Footballers are fit young men with great access to medical facilities. By all means take sensible precautions such as self isolating where required but asking them to train and play together is not saying **** their health. After all it is only what the rest of us are doing.

Right so you want them to cancel just the games with people who have been confirmed positive. What about those who have got it but are unaware. Shall we blood test every player prior to going on the pitch? Blood test every manager, coach and playing staff? Blood test the referee and the officials? Blood test the safety staff? Blood test the security staff that will need to be there? Blood test the cameramen as it will be recorded so we can all watch it?

There is more to life than football. I get your point about your commute to work, I get your point about going to the shops etc. But do we really need a football match to happen where all of these people get in close contact and could potential the take it out and spread it further?

I get why they’ve done it, it’s not great for clubs financially but once again there is more to life than football. They have cancelled the majority of combat sports events. For those that know anything about boxing/MMA. Fighters spend thousands on fight camps and put their bodies through all sorts of pain for that one night. That being cancelled they won’t get paid now as unlike footballers they don’t get a weekly wage. Their pay is all paid through the event and sponsors from the night.

It’s a **** time, but the priority is to keep people out of Unnecessary contact. Your commute is necessary, your visit to the shops to panic buy isn’t necessary but that’s your choice. 22 blokes, the staff, officials and operational staff getting together for a behind closed door match is not necessary.

Because one plays for greed, the other work for pride

I agree some of those NHS managers and plastic surgeons are really greedy. Your right, our young lads are just playing for pride......Good job they don't have to travel on the train or tube like the many of us, plus they will be paid for 3 months off.....Unlike so many on here.

I do agree. Should be played behind closed doors with season ticket holders getting free access to ifollow to watch. Any players showing symptoms etc. should be left out and self isolated at home, but at least it gets the season finished and we can draw a line under it.

Players like Coxy can come out and say you’re not keeping the players safe. But I got on a train and a tube this morning to get to work in a busy London office. I’m sure playing a game of football and training a few times a week is far less of a risk than that?

Back