• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I have to wonder

canada shrimper

Director
What the area is turning into? I just went on the echo website to catch up on news and the first items are
1.man shot
2.knife raid
3.Cannabis seized

What is going on in my beloved Essex?????

I'll tell you what is happening in Essex, families are migrating out of the East End at a rate of knots, that's what is happening. You can see it in our schools, huge numbers from Dagenham and Barking in particular.

I'll tell you what is happening in Essex, families are migrating out of the East End at a rate of knots, that's what is happening. You can see it in our schools, huge numbers from Dagenham and Barking in particular.

To be fair Kay this has happened for years, Basildon in the 60's was pretty much founded on East End overspill.

What the area is turning into? I just went on the echo website to catch up on news and the first items are
1.man shot
2.knife raid
3.Cannabis seized

What is going on in my beloved Essex?????

Nothing new , just capcity to report every even that occurs these days and a preassure to sell newspapers ??

To be fair Kay this has happened for years, Basildon in the 60's was pretty much founded on East End overspill.

I know Harry, it used to be progressive, they'd move gradually down though and what's happening now is that families are bypassing the Basildon area and coming straight to our area. It's having huge impacts on our schools because a high proportion of the children that move into the area have particular needs.

I know Harry, it used to be progressive, they'd move gradually down though and what's happening now is that families are bypassing the Basildon area and coming straight to our area. It's having huge impacts on our schools because a high proportion of the children that move into the area have particular needs.

It would seem that Southend and surrounding areas are back to what happened just after WWII, my grandfather moved his family (my mum, uncles etc) from North London to Southend, although at that time there was probably more social housing (back to Cricko's thread).

I guess it's something to do with house values in East London having rocketed so Benfleet and the area around being more affordable for them. I think more ethnic families are moving to Southend for sure, language teachers in schools are highly sought after.

Another factor here is also the Olympics. A large proportion of what is being used for the 2012 games has been compulsory purchased. A lot of this property will be residential therefore people have to go somewhere.

I work in Tilbury and the large amount of ethnic African people moving there is incredible. I have seen the evidence more recently of this in Benfleet, although the island is thus far unaffected, probably because it's chocker already.

Agreed Harry, that's what I was getting at with the house prices. There's also a lot of Afro Carribean families in Benfleet, but not noticeably more, no, it's predominantly white families moving into the area.

Well at least the Echo are reporting "real" news instead of the latest person to try and jump off Vic Plaza car park

I guess it's something to do with house values in East London having rocketed so Benfleet and the area around being more affordable for them. I think more ethnic families are moving to Southend for sure, language teachers in schools are highly sought after.

Slightly :offtopic: but my mum was probably the only EFL (English as a Foreign Language) teacher in Southend at one point back in the late '60's early '70's. This was doubly ironic because 1. her name was Esther Fancher Lister (EFL) and 2. she was an American from New York State :) . As a nice touch, at her memorial service a lovely Chinese family turned up, and the father had been one of her first pupils.

I suspect that there are rather more EFL teachers these days!

Back