• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
I have to confess to a guilty pleasure. I love Peter Crouch. I really do. I don't want to go and choose curtains with him, you understand, or look into civil partnerships or anything like that. No, my affection towards him is more of a paternal love. When fortunes turn against him, it burns me up inside. I want only good things to happen to him, I delight in his happiness, I swell with pride every time he shyly acknowledges another goal, always looking first to thank the player who passed to him. That's why I'm ecstatic that he's signed for Tottenham.

Crouch is such a beautiful contradiction. As comfortable in his body as a stilt-walker on an ice-rink, he seems perpetually surprised at the length of his limbs. It's as if he was fine yesterday, but he went to bed and woke up two foot taller. He never looks like he has the ball under control but, more often than not, his first touch will snatch it out of the air and suck into his instep. He's a very talented and clever footballer, cursed to look clumsy. He can score goals as well. The flying scissor-kick that invited so much ridicule in the 2006 World Cup has been refined and put to good use since. There aren't many who can get higher than him in the air and his composure has been proved so often that we shouldn't really be surprised by it anymore.

I say all of this now because I fear that Tottenham fans may have forgotten. The reaction to his arrival at White Hart Lane has been a little underwhelming, which is a dreadful shame. Crouch is just what Spurs need. He's got the size to hold the ball up in the final third and the guile to distribute it exactly where his strike-partner wants it. With Jermaine Defoe at Portsmouth, this 'very little and very large' combination looked potent. With the tenacious and inventive Robbie Keane, it could be even better. After a confused transfer policy left them with forwards who couldn't play together, Spurs finally have some shape about them and the depth to survive a season

But Crouch is more than the sum of his talents. He is a welcome return to a time when footballers had realistic opinions of themselves. While John Terry speaks about himself in the third person and Cristiano Ronaldo describes himself as the top three players in the world, Crouch is just a normal bloke. He is extraordinarily self-aware for his industry. After all, who else in the game would respond to an interviewer's question, "what would you be if you weren't a professional footballer?" with the answer, "a virgin." He has character as well. Dogged by chants of 'freak' wherever he goes, he never lets his head drop. This isn't his first time at White Hart Lane either. He was a trainee in the 90s, but was sold to Queens Park Rangers for a pittance when the coaches decided that he'd never make the grade. He's back to prove a point and who would bet against him succeeding?

Tottenham are on to a winner here. Crouch brings goals, but he also brings a bit of class. With the chasing pack falling over themselves to compete with the elite top four, this is a signing that puts Harry Redknapp's side back into contention. With a bit of luck, it will only be a matter of time before the Spurs fans love him as much as I do.

Nice one Slip, I'd already decided that the partnership with Robbie Keane was going to be a highlight in the Prem this year. I reckon it'll also help his England career too.

Nice article Slip. It comes across as almost theraputic / cathartic after having to write about that scum Terry yesterday!

Looks like a good move for all parties really. If they get enough from the sale of Bent to finance this signing as well then not too many will be complaining.

Good as ever Slip. I'm in a bit of a quandry now as I put Crouch in my Fantasy Football team, thinking that he would play every single game for Portsmouth and, like last year when I picked him, chip in with a nice number of goals and assists. I wonder now if he'll get appreciably less game time?

Good as ever Slip. I'm in a bit of a quandry now as I put Crouch in my Fantasy Football team, thinking that he would play every single game for Portsmouth and, like last year when I picked him, chip in with a nice number of goals and assists. I wonder now if he'll get appreciably less game time?

Same here, but with Defoe... a bit worried that they'll get rotated a little bit with Robbie Keane and even Pavluchenko. Defoe is the most potent goalscorer out of all of them, but Fantasy Football is just as much about minutes on the pitch as goals

As comfortable in his body as a stilt-walker on an ice-rink, he seems perpetually surprised at the length of his limbs. It's as if he was fine yesterday, but he went to bed and woke up two foot taller.

There's a Kafka-esque novella in there somewhere.

After all, who else in the game would respond to an interviewer's question, "what would you be if you weren't a professional footballer?" with the answer, "a virgin."

That's brilliant. I've always liked Crouchinho, but even more so now.

Not sure about Crouch and Keane as a partnership personally. Like with Crouch and Rooney, I think that much will depend on Keane's willingness and/or ability to overcome his instincts and play closer to Crouch, looking for the knock ons instead of dropping off.

If I could I'd green you Slip.

I like you, love Crouchy, can't help thinking that this is the best transfer of the summer along with Owen to Man Utd (both are in my fantasy team). I'm sure he'll do well at Spurs.

If I could I'd green you Slip.

I like you, love Crouchy, can't help thinking that this is the best transfer of the summer along with Owen to Man Utd (both are in my fantasy team). I'm sure he'll do well at Spurs.

I like you too!

I think Owen is a bit overpriced, Fergie has already said he won't play every game, more like once every 10 days, a bit like Giggsy... and so he's expecting a return of 15 goals from 30 games. You can get Defoe for the same price, someone with a good fitness record and who scored 1 in 2 last season.

I watched both Spurs games at the Wembley Cup and thought that Keane was absolutely dire. It probably was a feature of the poor service he recieved and playing alongside Defoe, but I thought he was impersonating Ronaldo at one point, flapping and waving his arms in the air when the ball didn't land exactly at his feet.

There was one point when Defoe broke free and, instead of running off him and moving defenders away, Keane basically ran and stood behind him, bring 3 defenders with him and, as such, the attack broke down.

Crouch and Defoe worked so brilliantly for Portsmouth under Redknapp. He's a manager of favourites, and I'd be surprised if he didn't allow those two to forge the same partnership.

I like you too!

I think Owen is a bit overpriced, Fergie has already said he won't play every game, more like once every 10 days, a bit like Giggsy... and so he's expecting a return of 15 goals from 30 games. You can get Defoe for the same price, someone with a good fitness record and who scored 1 in 2 last season.

Oops! there was meant to be another comma in there :doh:

Yeah I know it's a risk having Owen, but I just have a good feeling about how he'll do at Man Utd. I'll see how it goes at the start and if it goes tits up Owen will be out.

Oops! there was meant to be another comma in there :doh:

Yeah I know it's a risk having Owen, but I just have a good feeling about how he'll do at Man Utd. I'll see how it goes at the start and if it goes tits up Owen will be out.

i think i'll do the opposite, I imagine that Owen will be used tentatively at first because Rooney and Berbatov need time to form a 1st choice partnership... also United get off to a traditionally slow start. However come Christmas when the games are coming thick and fast and there'll be some double game weeks... I'll probably draft in Owen, as his value may even have gone down before Fergie starts to give him full games.

Whatever happens, I reckon you're right, he could well be the signing of the year!

Agree with you Slipperduke. I love Crouch, but I always love the big targetment like Heskey that get earfulls of abuse week in week out.

Crouch has great feet for a big man (My faviourite description of him) and is a very intelligent player. If you actually watch him, rather that laugh about his size, you see just what he brings to a team.

I liked Crouch. Liked being the important word. He is now a Yid and nothing will forgive him for that sin.

Nice one Slip, I'd already decided that the partnership with Robbie Keane was going to be a highlight in the Prem this year. I reckon it'll also help his England career too.

Could just give Harry another dilemma though. I cant see which two out of the four (or 5 depending on Bent) will be the front two. If Harry chops and changes to keep them all happy they will struggle again.

Could just give Harry another dilemma though. I cant see which two out of the four (or 5 depending on Bent) will be the front two. If Harry chops and changes to keep them all happy they will struggle again.

My bet would be Crouch and Defoe, a partnership that served Arry well at Pompy.

Wonder where that leaves Keane?

My bet would be Crouch and Defoe, a partnership that served Arry well at Pompy.

Wonder where that leaves Keane?

And the Russian. Keane is definitely not going to hang around if left in the reserves.

Back