• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I hope there are more loans coming.

DTS

The Business
Personally I were still totally lacking in width. Scannell has added swine flu to his complete lack of ability leaving Betsy as our only outlet.

I hope Tilly has a coyple of loaness coming this week or I fear we are woefully lacking for the first game.

Personally I were still totally lacking in width. Scannell has added swine flu to his complete lack of ability leaving Betsy as our only outlet.

I hope Tilly has a coyple of loaness coming this week or I fear we are woefully lacking for the first game.

...plus Laurent, who is now ensconced as a winger.

I see us lining up as follows:

...........................Mildenhall....................

Francis........Barrett (c)......Heath............White

Laurent.......Cristophe........McCormack.....Moussa

.................Barnard......Freedman.............

Bench: Joyce, Sankofa, Herd, Sawyer, Betsy, Walker, Revell

I say Doog over Revelinho because Doog has actually been finding the back of the net during pre-season. Doog may be good for 60 mins of football, and then Revell comes on after that to batter them a bit.

That side looks OK to me. We won't rip up any trees, but with the solidity we have in the middle of the park (even if we look a bit narrow), we should be OK.

I'd also pick Sawyer over Macca, on the basis that JFC & Macca really ought to be battling for one place in the side, while you pick Sawyer alongside him as the creative midfielder... but I've a feeling that Tilly won't know how to drop either Jeff or Macca.

We'll see, I guess.

Matt

what about using laurent (like most of pre season) or maybe even walker for extra width???????

Pretty much spot on MtS - though I would have Revell in for the reasons I've already stated (regarding Barnard/Freedmans lack of ability to hold the ball up for the midfielders).

I'd also put Sawyer in, but dont think Tilson will.

When you look at that side, its not a bad first XI all really - most of our problems will start when injuries/suspensions kick in, but for now, I think that will see us through nicely.

At the end of the season most people agreed we needed a winger but with the worry over not having a centre back it's been forgotten.
I would like to see us bring in a winger on loan or on a free but if not Laurent, Walker and Revell can all play out there.

Thought that as well Pubes, but he scored a hat trick for Reading a few weeks ago and Brendan Rodgers seems pretty pleased with him, I reckon he willl get some opportunities there this season.

T & B are trialling a defender recently released by Sheffield Wednesday - Peter Gilbert.

Up until the season before last he had been a solid defender, but got on the back of the Owls fans after an absolute howler against Ipswich losing 4-1, became one of the boo boys in the same vein as Leon Clarke, and never got his confidence back. Played for Donny in their promotion season.

Gut feeling is that he just needs a change of team and a few games under his belt. Leicester had previously paid £200K for his services.

I think he's already decided that he's going to use Moussa and Laurent as wide(ish) midfielders. I'd be interested to know if they're instructed to stay wide or tuck in and compress the play.

I think he'll play Sawyer and drop Jeff initially. I think Jeff will be the threat to Macca's place in the team that hopefully will prompt him to concentrate more and up his game generally. I see Grant as cover for Sawyer, and also to give us an emergency FB from the bench if necessary.

............................Mildenhall........................

Francis........Barrett (c)......Heath............White

Laurent.......Sawyer...........McCormack....Moussa

.................Barnard..........Freedman.................

Bench:
Joyce (if fit?)
Herd
Sankofa (if fit?)
Christophe
Betsy
Walker
Revell

I know I'm generally rose-tinted in my outlook but that doesn't look a bad team, and the bench looks reasonable in terms of variety and experience. I do wonder what we do when we lose players through injury and suspension because we haven't got many more players in the squad to fill the gaps that would appear.

T & B are trialling a defender recently released by Sheffield Wednesday - Peter Gilbert.

Up until the season before last he had been a solid defender, but got on the back of the Owls fans after an absolute howler against Ipswich losing 4-1, became one of the boo boys in the same vein as Leon Clarke, and never got his confidence back. Played for Donny in their promotion season.

Gut feeling is that he just needs a change of team and a few games under his belt. Leicester had previously paid £200K for his services.

He also played for Coventry yesterday.

Think we can safely say he will not be coming here.

Hmm...noticed both MtS & Smiffy's teams don't have Grant on the bench - is he injured? I'm sure he'd be on the bench at the very least otherwise...

Hmm...noticed both MtS & Smiffy's teams don't have Grant on the bench - is he injured? I'm sure he'd be on the bench at the very least otherwise...

I noticed that too, and I don't think he is. He's part of a very limited defensive cover atm so I'd have him on bench for sure.

.......................Mildy.....................
Franno.......Heath.....Barrett.....White
Lauren.....Sawyer......Grant.....Moussa
...............Barnard....Freedman.........

Subs:
Joyce
Herd
Macca
Sankofa
JFC
Walker
Revell

Scannell has added swine flu to his complete lack of ability.

Scannell was injured at Dagenham BECAUSE OF his ability - or perhaps you weren't there. Can't imagine that it's his fault that he's contracted swine flu either.

whatever the line up lee sawyer must be the first name on the team sheet, I personally would drop macca, leavinf JFC to hold and sawyer to roam dropping bombs

You're quite right about my omission of Grant. What a howler!

He's obviously straight on the bench (I fear in place of Herd, who may get loaned out this season). I still don't think he'll dislodge either of Macca or Jeff...

Matt

I hope there are more loans coming, preferably 6-month ones at least. Tilly's record on loanees last season was superb....
* Hal Robson-Kanu
* Dan Harding
* Lee Sawyer
* Dorian Dervitte
* Theo Robinson
I agree we need more width, a decent winger would be great, although wingers do seem to be harder to come by. A long-term CB loan would be good too, as has been indicated by T&B last week, and maybe a LB in aswell, although I'd like us to sign Gilbert on a permenant (just because he's trialing at coventry doesn't mean they'll want him, so don't dis-count us yet - same goes for Saah).

I feel that we are going to understand a lot more concerning the plight of the club between now and the end of the month. Certainly, if there are no permanent signings in this transfer window, those on the more pessimistic side, believing that we don't have two pennies to rub together, would seem to be correct.......we shall see.
Not that we need any reminding, but the only additions to the squad this summer have been one loan signing for six months and two emergency loans for one month, to shore up the defense. Of course there are going to be more loan signings but whether they are going to provide some of the essentials of our squad or give Tilly some additional options, it will be intruiging to see.
I don't know what the opening results of the season hold in store for us but I do fear that, until we get our selves sorted out, August could be a damage limitation exercise. Be you pessimist or optimist, you have to say that the start of the season, with a wished for balanced and settled side, is not the one that we had all hoped for.

Back