• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I just don't like Steve

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
A little bit controversial this week....

"This is how it feels to be an England supporter right now. Everything's gone horribly wrong and the only way out seems to be through self-destruction. We've had some happy times wearing Three Lions on our shirts, but it seems like an awfully long time ago. With a difficult fixture in Tel Aviv on the horizon, many of us are poised, can of petrol and box of matches in hand, hoping that Israel win and that the resulting flames consume this shambles of a team and burn it to the ground."

Click the MySpace link for the full column

I thought it was going to be about Chadded. Oh well.....

Have to agree. I NEVER understood why Maclaren was put in charge ....He was OKish as a second to AF at manure...but was cr ap at Middlesborough and as Svens number 2...I would rather see Terry Venables in full charge or a more suitable candidate with some success maybe Sam at Bolton. The list is short but we are going to fail with Steve for sure.

Last edited:
i thought when sven finally went the FA and england team was crying out for fresh management... apparently oneill and allardyce didn't get the job cos they wanted to bring in all their own team... if you looked at woodward and the rugby, he spent years bringing in his guys, changing the system with the goal of winning the 2003world cup. by giving it to maclaren it just seems a backward step and completely insulting to the excellent young english managers who with time could really bring the england setup to the 21st century.

maclaren is an average manager, he tried to stamp his authority by completely dropping becks which completely backfired as beckham was playing really well until he got injured... by making rash decisions he shot himself in the foot and i still believe that he has shirked the lampard/gerrard decision and also appointed the wrong captain, the armband should have gone to stevie g as his record (and performances) in cup competitions is amazing

Last edited:
slipperduke... like your comments about the LB position, baines, walnock and even Nicky Shorey have been excellent this season. P Nev hasn't even been playing in defence this season and he gets picked over them, it's just baffling

slipperduke... like your comments about the LB position, baines, walnock and even Nicky Shorey have been excellent this season. P Nev hasn't even been playing in defence this season and he gets picked over them, it's just baffling

Too right, mate. I saw Warnock strip Lucas Neill for pace over 70 yards on Saturday. Where he?

Shorey, I have to be honest, I've seen him two or three times this season and he hasn't stood out for me. But even at that level, he's still better than an out of position Phil Neville.

Baines has been fantastic in the U21s and comes with the added bonus of having a superb free-kick in his locker. Where's he?

Goddammit, it's all so frustrating!

Very well put Ian..... On your blob sorry Blog:p ...I am totally in agreement.:)

I'll watch it tomorrow out of some sort of strange allegience to the country. Saying that I'll watch it is properly wrong actually; it'll be on the big screen in the bar whilst we consume beer and have a general chat about the state of our international football side with an occasional glance at the screen accompanied by rolling of the eyes and a thought that "they've done it again". McClaren was the wrong appointment for the future of England and we will not qualify for Euro 2008 as a result.

Too right, mate. I saw Warnock strip Lucas Neill for pace over 70 yards on Saturday. Where he?

Shorey, I have to be honest, I've seen him two or three times this season and he hasn't stood out for me. But even at that level, he's still better than an out of position Phil Neville.

Baines has been fantastic in the U21s and comes with the added bonus of having a superb free-kick in his locker. Where's he?

Goddammit, it's all so frustrating!

you are right.. i think shorey is a great little player as he doesn't really get noticed but is probably the best defender out of him, baines and warnock. he also has a terrific delivery and is probably quite similar to hammell in that he doesn't rampage up the flank, but his attacking moves are well timed and effective

I have two choices tomorrow, watch the England game or play snooker.

Naturally I have chosen the snooker option as its gonna be more exciting than watching a bunch of overpaid prima donnas who will try their best to grind out a draw against another 2nd rate nation.

My Liverpool supporting mate asked me last year...

Would I rather England won the world cup or Southend to get in the Prem. I chose the latter much to his surprise (after much soul searching it must be said).

I'm sure 1966 was fantastic, but it's such a millstone around the neck as we're not good enough and probably never will be, despite the fantastic talents of Gerrard / Rooney et al.

When England have some players that are prepared to fight to the death for the honour fo wearing the three lions, I'll take a real interest in the national team. Mclaren can start by reinstating Beckham ASAP.

When England have some players that are prepared to fight to the death for the honour fo wearing the three lions, I'll take a real interest in the national team.

Exactly!
Some of the performances under Bungle (as the press have lovingly dubbed him) have been so woeful, if the FA had put an England team out, made up of the best of English League 1 & League 2 talent they would have performed to a far higher standard!

I will watch tomorrow but only through some kind of misguided necessity. If we lose it will bother me for 30 seconds (whereas Saturday nights after a Southend defeat involve much depression and stomping about!)

When England have some players that are prepared to fight to the death for the honour fo wearing the three lions, I'll take a real interest in the national team. Mclaren can start by reinstating Beckham ASAP.

Exactly. That pretty much encapsualtes what I spent 750 words trying to say.

Exactly. That pretty much encapsualtes what I spent 750 words trying to say.

Aussi, as well as Becks, the other player that springs to mind, although sadly Welsh, is Robbie Savage. It's not hard to run your *** off for 90 minutes, and these guys are professional athletes with (allegedly) a large amount of skill. Why is it that they are the only two examples of players that do it more often than most, IMO?

Back