• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I know I'm going to be hated for this ...

camden shrimper

Youth Team
But in hindsight I wish we'd been relegated last season. We'd have been denied the Sunderland day in the sun but we wouldn't have taken on Bond, we'd have signed players for League 2 on League 2 wages, a lot of deadwood would have left as they wouldn't have wanted to drop a division. Most importantly though our chairman would have got to have enjoyed his summer holiday.....

Completely disagree. We would have been at risk of going out of the league altogether. The whole midfield was contracted for this season and that would not have changed by going down. I am grateful we have the buffer from oblivion that staying up provided us.

Completely disagree. We would have been at risk of going out of the league altogether. The whole midfield was contracted for this season and that would not have changed by going down. I am grateful we have the buffer from oblivion that staying up provided us.
I think the risk of going out of business is as strong holding up the foot of the table as it ever will be. I may be wrong, and am happy to be proven so, but I think people come to see football where the players are motivated and not more likely to lose than win, that over which division it is and, a few notable exceptions aside, who the opposition is.
Fair point re the midfield. For the first time in my adult life though I'm struggling to come and cheer them on, if the players can't make the effort....

Exactly this, we would have been at the bottom of league 2
Additionally football is all about moments and memories. I don’t want to loose the memory of the Sunderland game, the high, the low and then in the 87th minute the ecstatic.
What’s the point of it all if you don’t enjoy days like that and savour them for ever

Yeah the Sunderland and Portsmouth home games were the only two moments of joy in a horrendous season last year. Why anyone would want one of those taken away is beyond me?!

I don’t know quite how they’ve managed it but we’re performing worse this season with a nearly fully fit squad than we were last year with all the injuries!

I am nothing if not willing to be educated, I have just given up hope already, and we are barely out of September...

Portsmouth was fantastic too ey

Hindsight's always 20/20, but I believe this goes back to sacking Brown. Unpopular with many he may be, but I'm convinced we wouldn't be in this position now had the club backed him when the players (allegedly) rebelled, and given him more time to turn things round. We've never looked as competitive since he went.

I get where the original poster is coming from but the problem stems from the sense of obligation RM felt to Bond for winning that game and keeping us up. It's with hindsight I know, but if Ron had doubts-- and the delay in appointing KB would suggest he did-- then he should have acted upon these and appointed someone else.

May as well have appointed Timothy Claypole for all the good Bond did us. He screwed up the Summer and we’re paying for it now. We need someone to limp us to the January transfer window, make 6 or 7 signings and then kick on from there. Don’t give up yet.

As much as Chris Powell was a playing legend and he had an horrendous injury list , I really don’t think we’ve had anyone with Sturrock or Browns knowledge and ability since those two.

They both knew the type of player we need in L1 and L2 - Timlin , Corr , Cresswell , Barratt, Atkinson and several others.

Our team had no character, guts or guile.

I think SBH said it on another post , but I agree that I feel totally distant from these players and feel none of them care about SUFC - something I believe all those I mentioned above did to some extent

Hindsight's always 20/20, but I believe this goes back to sacking Brown. Unpopular with many he may be, but I'm convinced we wouldn't be in this position now had the club backed him when the players (allegedly) rebelled, and given him more time to turn things round. We've never looked as competitive since he went.
Whilst I will never understand the people who think Brown was a bad manager for us I think we had to get rid of him at that point. His post match interviews in the last month or two of his tenure gave the impression that he had given up as much as the players had.

Brown's only fault to me was when he used to try and protect one or 2 goal lead instead of killing off the game.What we'd give for the settled midfield and back line we had just a couple of years ago .I was told the problems in the dressing room started with Rangers preferential treatment.
How have we sunk so low in such a short space of time!!.
Relegation should be avoided at all costs as it could be years before we are in this league again and the older supporters have seen it doesn't work many times.Also does anyone in there right mind seriously enjoy the standard of hoofball in league 2. We see some reasonable players and football at this level and the championship to me was a high that I long to see repeated asap.

Agree completely with this, although on the issue raised in the thread, I'm leaning towards the OP's position.

Yeah agree with this. I will admit I wanted Brown gone at the time but looking back now we would have been better off riding it out. That was the first instance of player power and it’s got worse since. Another thing is how much fitter we were under Brown and able to grind out results when up against it. Not suggesting we bring Brown back but the new manager needs that kind of philosophy

Do people see a team of players that would go to war for you, I think you have a few of those and it pulls others up, Timlin wanting to play on busted open being such an example. So many heads dropping, I can empathise now but it's how we've got to this point that really breaks me. Someone like Elvis should be being supported by team mates and being allowed the 'luxury' of making the odd mistake as he grows as a player for example but it feels we are more likely to make irreversible damage to his confidence. I've never purely cared about ability or, to a lesser extent, style of play, it's effort levels that I pine for. Last days at the Alamo defensive performance, blood and guts midfield, breakaway goals, we've got none of that...

But in hindsight I wish we'd been relegated last season. We'd have been denied the Sunderland day in the sun but we wouldn't have taken on Bond, we'd have signed players for League 2 on League 2 wages, a lot of deadwood would have left as they wouldn't have wanted to drop a division. Most importantly though our chairman would have got to have enjoyed his summer holiday.....

You’re right but the time was when Powell took over. That’s when we needed to rebuild. We should have let Brown own the relegation and then burnt it down. Instead we’ve been on the back foot ever since.

Yeah agree with this. I will admit I wanted Brown gone at the time but looking back now we would have been better off riding it out. That was the first instance of player power and it’s got worse since. Another thing is how much fitter we were under Brown and able to grind out results when up against it. Not suggesting we bring Brown back but the new manager needs that kind of philosophy
No, he had to go. He lost the plot mentally/psychologically, whatever. One week it was 'I'm not scared of the sack', the next 'Come and sack me then', the next 'Where's my new contract, where is the new stadium I was promised'. He'd clearly had enough so it was the right decision.

Three things make for an unhappy ship IMHO......1) A poor leader, 2) A barrack room lawyer {as was called years ago} unsettling things and 3} Being asked to achieve impossible or at the least very difficult tasks. I am wondering what applies in our beloved team's case.

Always troubled me how so many fans side with the player when there’s a challenge with the manager. Much as we’d love them in our defence right now, there was outrage in some quarters and only blame for the manager when there were fall outs with people like Bolger and Prosser. What we have right now is what happens when the players start ruling the roost.

In response to the opening post, if we had lost that last game against Sunderland I dread to think what state we would be in now. So for the feeling of euphoria that I experienced for days after the result, I am oh so very glad we stayed up.

9812282.jpg

A not to be forgotten moment.

Back