• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lewis Hunt was gone long before our extravagance started, and Franck Moussa was allegedly on circa £1,600 per week... Which is still high for a player of his age, but wouldn't be the root cause of our financial troubles.

That was more down to paying £150,000 for Alex Revell, which on the surface wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but letting him go for nothing certainly was, as well as paying the likes of Peter Clarke, Adam Barrett, Nicky Bailey, Alan McCormack and Steve Mildenhall excessive wages. Bailey was more than happy to stay with us if we'd met his excessive wage demands (double what he was on, which was around £2.5kp/w IIRC) which would've crippled us completely.

I assumed you were implying that the Consortium were suppling HMRC with inside informatiion about SUFC's financial affairs.

That may have been my implication. I certainly wasn't blaming them for our problems though.

Last edited:
Oh and as for the claim that Ron has invested millions into the club I would point out he merely cleared the club's 4 million debt but transferred out the freeholds of Roots Hall and the training ground and charged a huge annual rent that he knew would never be paid and merely rolled up at 20% interest. This doomed the club to making the loss it has over the last ten years 400k x 10 years rolling up at 20% = 7 million approx?

The outstanding rent has been written off and isn't in the Club's books.

We're only guessing at how much money players during the last few years cost the club, I don't think any of us on this site really know the truth about how much individual player wages cost. For every Richie Foran there were the likes of Lewis Hunt, Damien Scannell and Franck Moussa who played for us, I find it very difficult to believe players such as these were on large wages.

In the mid 90's we averaged gates of 5,000 yet signed Mike Marsh for £500k and players from Celtic's first team such as Paul Byrne and Mark McNally, it was obvious to see where the financial problems stemmed from in that era. We've barely paid a transfer fee during the last few years, we've had money coming in for players sold, operated with a small squad and apart from Michael Ricketts we haven't signed any 'big name' players, therefore I'm not sure our serious financial problems can be solely because of expenditure on players.

£300,000 for Peter Clarke, £250,000 for Richie Foran, £250,000 for Alex Revell, Billy Paynter £200,000, £50,000+ for Matt Harrold, £50,000+ for Simon Francis, £50,000+ for JCR, Scottish international Steve Hammell, then there are the likes of Lee Barnard, Jimmy Walker etc who we paid "undisclosed" fees for.

I can't ever remember a time of such largesse. When we were relegated to league one, none of our rivals were spending any money, but we were still paying transfer fees.

£300,000 for Peter Clarke, £250,000 for Richie Foran, £250,000 for Alex Revell, Billy Paynter £200,000, £50,000+ for Matt Harrold, £50,000+ for Simon Francis, £50,000+ for JCR, Scottish international Steve Hammell, then there are the likes of Lee Barnard, Jimmy Walker etc who we paid "undisclosed" fees for.

I can't ever remember a time of such largesse. When we were relegated to league one, none of our rivals were spending any money, but we were still paying transfer fees.

Where are these figures from? On the Soccerbase website all the transfer fees above are not disclosed, only the fee for Alex Revell is and that is £150k as ESB pointed out in an earlier post.

The point I'm trying to make is all these assumptions regarding fees/wages for players are based on guesswork, none of us definitively know how much a specific player's fee, signing on fee, wages etc cost.

My belief (which is only guesswork) is the monies spent on players during the last few years should not have drained the club so badly considering we had a small squad, higher than expected attendances through the turnstiles, cup runs (achieved through goals from above mentioned players) and monies received due to transfers.

The wagebill is stated in the accounts. It's the major drain on our (and other football clubs') resources.

hopefully this will be short but i have just had enough of the moaners on here and 606 p.s these are just my views as a loyal blue, business man & a man who knows his football inside out.

What happened last season happened was Ron to blame?
In my eyes the guy put money into the club trying to keep us in the championship then when it didn’t work he tried to keep the "top players" in hope we would get back to the championship so yes it backfired but i support the fact he tried (remember he has been putting millions into the club for years so none of this where the Freddy money any one in Business will no the money would have been more than gone will debt left)

Fossest's Farm should we of just stayed at RH?
yes we could of stayed at roots hall and according to some people wouldn’t be in this mess but if you look back "on paper" we have been making pretyt big losses and soon either Ron would walk or the club would have to close simple really.
Im glad he has gone for it and from what i hear Sainsbury’s WILL NOT stat work on RH until we are in FF even if you dont believe them it would be a PR disaster?

We should of kept Tilson?
before i start can i say i am a Massive Tilly fan i think he is a nice guy and a Legend but for me i have to say we went down and its the MANAGERS fault yes there was money problems but were not the only club who's players wasnt getting paid ala Crystal Palace plus i ask myself if Tilson had started the season with a handful of contracted players would he have enough contact in his little black book to feel a team sheet i think NO.

i say while the season is in full swing lets not dwell on last season and instead give the CLUB are full backing i don’t no about you lot but i bleed blue, southend till i die and hate col u?

lastly the people who dot come to RH now because Ron is in charge in my eyes you are not fans so why not go support Grays or something i can understand this "Ron isnt getting my money" and i felt like that after we went down but i am to blue to to able to give the team a miss.

Thanks for reading this is my first Rant

Maybe as a business man and you werent paid for services/products you provided the club you wouldnt be so accepting of Rons wrong doings?
Maybe if you were employed by him and didnt get paid on time you wouldn't be so accepting of Rons wrong doings
Maybe if you were Steve Tilson still waiting to be paid for 6 months you wouldn't be so accepting of Rons wrong doings

Based on your opinion im not a fan of Southend United which i have supported for 30 years because im currently not going to Roots Hall, In my opinion i think your talking crap. Im staying away more because i don't feel any affinity after all Ron's ******** and the fact that i would want to speak to him if i went and at the moment i have to much anger for that but i still tune in come 3pm on a Saturday. What i don't understand is why people continually have a pop at people for not feeling Rons love or for having hump with what has gone on!!!

I don't remember anyone questioning Rons business sense when we signed recent England international Michael Ricketts.

Where are these figures from? On the Soccerbase website all the transfer fees above are not disclosed, only the fee for Alex Revell is and that is £150k as ESB pointed out in an earlier post.

The point I'm trying to make is all these assumptions regarding fees/wages for players are based on guesswork, none of us definitively know how much a specific player's fee, signing on fee, wages etc cost.

My belief (which is only guesswork) is the monies spent on players during the last few years should not have drained the club so badly considering we had a small squad, higher than expected attendances through the turnstiles, cup runs (achieved through goals from above mentioned players) and monies received due to transfers.

Oops, typo for Revell, that should have been £150,000. All transfers fees are now supposed to be undisclosed, but these seem to have been widely reported.

Whilst we won't know the exact figures for sure, we can have a pretty good idea. We were more active in the transfer market than our league one rivals. We were able to entice northerners like Clarke and Hammell down to Roots Hall and that won't have been by offering pay-cuts.

What dried up was the flow of cash (in the form of loans and guarantees) from RM's companies that was underwriting this investment and our losses. The cup runs and the Eastwood transfer fee sustained us for a little while, but we'd increased our costs (some players will have been on championship wages and this will have formed the basis of our wage structure so that even players signed in league one - like Revell and Mildenhall, will have been on a wage structure based on the championship because that is the structure the highest earners were on).

How many football clubs actually make money? I think its far fewer than the number who go into administration, let alone those who rack up big losses. Is it really that unbelievable to imagine that we were losing money? This isn't complete guesswork, there's a lot of information out there that we can base our estimates on and these all point to us losing money.

What i don't understand is why people continually have a pop at people for not feeling Rons love or for having hump with what has gone on!!!

It comes down to a lack of respect as I alluded to in another of these "Ron did right. No, he didn't threads" recently...

A lack of respect for whom?

Your 'rose tinted' and 'arse-kissing' claims are hardly rooted in respect for your fellow fans.

A lack of respect for whom?

Your 'rose tinted' and 'arse-kissing' claims are hardly rooted in respect for your fellow fans.

I never call anybody rose-tinted or claim they kiss ar$e.
If they take the opposite perspective from me then they get a rounded response as to why I think they're wrong.
No need to resort to childish playground insults from my direction.

I never call anybody rose-tinted or claim they kiss ar$e.
If they take the opposite perspective from me then they get a rounded response as to why I think they're wrong.
No need to resort to childish playground insults from my direction.

That is odd...

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/show...-perspective&p=1200581&viewfull=1#post1200581

;)

To be fair I can't find any evidence that you've ever used either of those insults before or since, but that one stuck in my mind.

Pretty well fed up with all the bickering and Anti-Ron ***** on here now...It's getting to be a rather tiresome forum to visit and one I fear I will be logging onto less and less from now on.

It's getting to be a rather tiresome forum to visit and one I fear I will be logging onto less and less from now on.

Why, do you now tend to frequent rosetintedar$ekissers.com a lot more now then?

*** DISCLAIMER - This was only posted for comedic purposes ***
Luv ya really DWB :p

Why, do you now tend to frequent rosetintedar$ekissers.com a lot more now then?

*** DISCLAIMER - This was only posted for comedic purposes ***
Luv ya really DWB :p

Iv'e got the point where I don't really care what people say, for real or for a laugh...I can't be bothered anymore

And as I say a few posts later in that thread, and IIRC on your reputation it was all done in jest.
You don't honestly believe that was a serious post do you?

I did at the time, yeah. I mean you were obviously joking but as they say 'many a true thing is said in jest'. It certainly seemed to me that that was your true feelings coming through.

Iv'e got the point where I don't really care what people say, for real or for a laugh...I can't be bothered anymore
Think we've all unfortunately suffered those feelings to a certain degree over the past few weeks and months...:thumbdown:
Yes, indeed, been there, done that. Phil, just take a back seat for a while, do stuff with the kids and just look at the match threads.

Back