• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bungle
the odd fire in the north bank (not me guv)
standing
throwing balls up to break the fluorescent tubes (not me guv) on north bank
proper teenage away days to proper grounds
standing
The Pink
last minute away day winners... Gillingham, Exeter, Preston, Macclesfield come to mind
standing
Watching people try to win the car at half time
Everton away
Ronaldo at Roots Hall
standing
teletext

Nope, the old blue buses used to run out of a bus depot in Fairfax Drive back in the day. The numbers I remember were the No1 and No7 but I'm sure there would have been loads more. Seem to remember a depot up on the roundabout by Nazareth House as well.

No, you're right. Think it closed some time in the 70s.

Glad I'm not yet losing all the plot. Thanks both. I'll need someone older to talk about Nazareth House depot. Where is Cricko these days ? That I don't remember. I need to find a picture of the old blue bus livery now :smiles:

3 pages and no mention of the car driving round the pitch at halftime. Must have been in the eighties......or did I imagine it?

Glad I'm not yet losing all the plot. Thanks both. I'll need someone older to talk about Nazareth House depot. Where is Cricko these days ? That I don't remember. I need to find a picture of the old blue bus livery now :smiles:

There ya go.

bus.jpg

Programme shop at the top of the South Bank.
Junior section talks by the players - in particular Trevor Roberts.
Sportsman's dinners at Boots and Laces.
Autographs after training in the early sixties.
Reserve games with big (ish) attendances and quality players in the opposition - eg Tony Currie - and he wasn't injured in the warm up!
Loads of stuff others have said.

The FA cup, when it was treated with the respect it deserved by clubs players and fans alike. The shear excitement of hearing the draw on the radio..... Southend United or Watford vs number 19.....Liverpool

Nope, the old blue buses used to run out of a bus depot in Fairfax Drive back in the day. The numbers I remember were the No1 and No7 but I'm sure there would have been loads more. Seem to remember a depot up on the roundabout by Nazareth House as well.

The main bus depot for Eastern National(Green Busses) and Southend Corporation(Blue Busses) was where Sainsbury's is. That's where most people caught their bus home. The depot near the roundabout at Homebase was for Bus maintenance and Bus storage.

Yeah absolutely spot on... when a stranger stops you and asks for the score, and if you won, you had all the time in the world, to describe to them in full detail the build up play leading to each goal we scored... however if we lost or got stuffed, the response was only a "we lost"... if the reply came "by what?...what was the score?"... i used to suddenly come over with a sudden bout of deathness and kept on walking.

Must be a lonely depressing walk home for you these last few seasons eh C&P?? :smile:

Nobody asks now thank God for mobile phones! Ha ha

Old MacDonald had a farm
Have I got this wrong. I have vague memories of a bus depot in Fairfax Drive. Do I have this wrong? Was it just a maintenance place. (Nope not the Eastern National Depot where Sainsburys is now. I can remember that vividly.

No, you're right. Think it closed some time in the 70s.

What is now Homebase I think, Texas homecare first of all ?

The Southend Corporation Transport (SCT), the blue and cream buses, were garaged and maintained in London Road by Nazereth House where the Curry's and pet store places are now, by the entrance road into Homebase. SCT did nearly all their crew changeovers in the London Road outside. If you ever wanted to find a SCT busman after he/she had finished their shift they could nearly always be found in the Park Tavern.:whistling:
The Homebase site used to be the Eastern Electricity Board depot, I believe there is still a large sub-station round the back. When EEB moved out it was taken over by Texas who had a store there that had a show house inside, IIRC it burnt down in the early-mid Eighties, seem to remember watching it burn from the top floor of the Telephone Exchange in North Road, Homebase replaced it.
Before EEB had it I believe it was the tram depot and Southend's own electricity generating plant.

The Eastern National buses, the green and cream ones, had an operating garage, where they did all their crew changeovers, in London Road roughly where RBS/Pizza Express/ Santander are now, buses drove through from Dowsett Avenue, latterly Queensway, and out into the London Road. Their maintainance and overnight garage was the one you remember behind the North Bank, it was where Prospects and their car park is now.
Remember it well as a target for Gary Moore, I'm sure I remember him having his left foot almost on the goal line swinging his right foot at a cross, shanking it and putting it over the bar, the North Bank and into the EN garage car park.... :Worthy:

The main things I remember from back in the day was having to go through a second turnstile to get into the West Bank, paying to get into the ground for the North and South and then paying again to transfer to get undercover on a wet day if I wasn't allowed to stand with the 'naughty boys', as my dad used to call them, on the North Bank.

After half-time trying to sneak a look at someone's programme to find out which letters referred to which game as they put up the half-time scores on the boards on the walls in front of the East Stand at the south end and on the front of the wall in the north-west corner.

If I'd spent all my pocket money and couldn't afford the gate money, waiting until they opened the exit gates just after half-time and then creeping in for the last 35-40 minutes of the second half. Don't tell Ron !! :nope:

A couple of dozen of us huddled together for warmth up against the north wall of the West Bank in a effort to get out of the snowstorm coming from the north on a cold night in early February, I seem to recall there was only a gate of about 1500, think it was a Tuesday night LDV game.:stunned:

Also the smell of the smoke from Old Holborn or Golden Virginia roll-ups wafting around the ground.:omg:

Oh, and last, but by far from least, a Paul Clarke block tackle! Here comes Clarkey!!!! BANG!!!! :Worthy::happy::Worthy:

Different game, different world. Better? Not so sure, but definitely very different.:cricko:

Sitting in the East Stand watching all the cigarettes being lit in the west stand opposite. You would just see a flicker of light from a match or lighter then it would disappear and another would appear in a different part of the stand. Quite a lot of people smoked back then.

Sitting in the East Stand watching all the cigarettes being lit in the west stand opposite. You would just see a flicker of light from a match or lighter then it would disappear and another would appear in a different part of the stand. Quite a lot of people smoked back then.

Yep, and a wide variety of cigarettes, roll ups, Cigars, and my favourite smell as a kid when standing in the West Bank was the Pipe tobacco. You don't see anyone smoking a pipe now. Wonder why it died.

If they didn't beforehand, they soon took up smoking after watching SUFC for a few games ! :winking:

The smell of cigars being smoked in the East stand when I was a kid (obviously not by me!)

The Southend Corporation Transport (SCT), the blue and cream buses, were garaged and maintained in London Road by Nazereth House where the Curry's and pet store places are now, by the entrance road into Homebase. SCT did nearly all their crew changeovers in the London Road outside. If you ever wanted to find a SCT busman after he/she had finished their shift they could nearly always be found in the Park Tavern.:whistling:
The Homebase site used to be the Eastern Electricity Board depot, I believe there is still a large sub-station round the back. When EEB moved out it was taken over by Texas who had a store there that had a show house inside, IIRC it burnt down in the early-mid Eighties, seem to remember watching it burn from the top floor of the Telephone Exchange in North Road, Homebase replaced it.
Before EEB had it I believe it was the tram depot and Southend's own electricity generating plant.

The Eastern National buses, the green and cream ones, had an operating garage, where they did all their crew changeovers, in London Road roughly where RBS/Pizza Express/ Santander are now, buses drove through from Dowsett Avenue, latterly Queensway, and out into the London Road. Their maintainance and overnight garage was the one you remember behind the North Bank, it was where Prospects and their car park is now.
Remember it well as a target for Gary Moore, I'm sure I remember him having his left foot almost on the goal line swinging his right foot at a cross, shanking it and putting it over the bar, the North Bank and into the EN garage car park.... :Worthy:

The main things I remember from back in the day was having to go through a second turnstile to get into the West Bank, paying to get into the ground for the North and South and then paying again to transfer to get undercover on a wet day if I wasn't allowed to stand with the 'naughty boys', as my dad used to call them, on the North Bank.

After half-time trying to sneak a look at someone's programme to find out which letters referred to which game as they put up the half-time scores on the boards on the walls in front of the East Stand at the south end and on the front of the wall in the north-west corner.

If I'd spent all my pocket money and couldn't afford the gate money, waiting until they opened the exit gates just after half-time and then creeping in for the last 35-40 minutes of the second half. Don't tell Ron !! :nope:

A couple of dozen of us huddled together for warmth up against the north wall of the West Bank in a effort to get out of the snowstorm coming from the north on a cold night in early February, I seem to recall there was only a gate of about 1500, think it was a Tuesday night LDV game.:stunned:

Also the smell of the smoke from Old Holborn or Golden Virginia roll-ups wafting around the ground.:omg:

Oh, and last, but by far from least, a Paul Clarke block tackle! Here comes Clarkey!!!! BANG!!!! :Worthy::happy::Worthy:

Different game, different world. Better? Not so sure, but definitely very different.:cricko:

Newport at home!

Back