• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
Having watched football for a long time, things have undoubtedly improved for the better, but there are some things (gone for ever) which I miss....................

Small boys sitting on the wall at matches
Paying at the turnstiles
Not having to buy tickets in advance
Not having to listen on the phone for details about the forth coming Millwall match
Paying the same admission price as that for a pint
Friday Night games
Being in the spread after the Friday night match and decide what match to go to on the Saturday
Leaving home still not knowing what match I would go to
Standing on a huge terraces which now that are all seated seem so small
Turning up at virtually any match without a ticket but knowing you would get in if you got their early enough
Watching two live matches in a day
Waiting for the Saturday night Classified sports paper with all the results tables etc
Waiting up North for their equivalent papers Green Un. Pink Un
That first pint studying the classified

I'm sure their are lots more

watching Billy Best "batter" the other team
Cheap footie progs
my long hair!!!

Yep I miss the traditional curry after a Friday night game and the Spread, plus, bizarrely, those A-Z coded half time scores displayed around the perimeter fence and the "you're gonna get your f****g head kicked in" chant (please don't ask me why!).

The Paddock (in front of the East Stand seats)
Changing ends whichever way we were kicking
Knowing that if a big bloke stood in front of you, you could always seek a space behind a midget

Checking the half time scores from the letters surounding the pitch.
Football rattles.
cushions on the seats (to be thrown onto the pitch if the team was not performing)
indian restaurant by Liverpool street station often visited before taking last train home.

The Golden Lion before a game, especially Friday nights.
Leaving the pub 15 minutes before K/O, legging it round to the West Stand and not missing the start.
Getting high second hand from them as did a joint at the back of the West Stand.
Weirdly, the Brass band.

The Paddock (in front of the East Stand seats)

cushions on the seats (to be thrown onto the pitch if the team was not performing)

Both of these! Was quite fun standing in the Paddock as the cushions rained down over our heads!

I miss watching the old North Bank crowd from my East stand vantage point, particularly doing "Knees Up Mother Brown"!

I have still got one of those cushions here in Germany,i got it,after someone had thrown it on the pitch,after the game v Exeter City,again today,30.12.89...
I cuddled it alway the way from Roots HAll to Exeter(where i was living at the time)..WAs in a car full of E.C.F.C fans,they were happy,they had one.
Its got SUFSC written on it,i think,its in the cellar...yes i know...no place for it....will go and get it..

watching a whole game on teletext, especially if the results pages went to 2 or 3 pages, the excitement as it clicked back round to the page with Blues score on

The sweet sellers walking round the perimeter

I did this, it was a friend's job for a couple of seasons and there were a few times I covered for her!

For me, Harry was far more recent, and anyone that knew him would obviously miss him. I realise some of you go back an awful lot longer.

To be standing in the North Bank behind the goal you had to be there about an hour before Kick Off. Then the Supporters Club Band would play, while they were walking up and down on the pitch the Band leader would throw his mace up into the air, if he dropped it we always use to say it was bad luck and we would lose. Then at half-time a few men would walk around the pitch on the cinder track with a blanket for a collection for the band and get the supporters to throw in their loose change, however when they got round to the North Bank most of the money appeared to be thrown at the blokes carrying the blanket.(No it wasn't me your honour, I only threw the toilet rolls)!!

People asking you what the score was as you walked home in your home shirt or wearing a scarf after the game. You were always chuffed if you could say we won but a bit depressed if you drew or lost!

People asking you what the score was as you walked home in your home shirt or wearing a scarf after the game. You were always chuffed if you could say we won but a bit depressed if you drew or lost!

On that basis it must have cost you a fortune in psychologists' fees mate.

Many years ago I used to stand (yes stand) in the West and we would walk along the stand to which ever end the team were shooting at. Good times

If some one scored a great goal then only the people at the ground got to see it. No TV cameras, no you tube only those that bothered to go got the reward.

Yeah absolutely spot on... when a stranger stops you and asks for the score, and if you won, you had all the time in the world, to describe to them in full detail the build up play leading to each goal we scored... however if we lost or got stuffed, the response was only a "we lost"... if the reply came "by what?...what was the score?"... i used to suddenly come over with a sudden bout of deathness and kept on walking.

Must be a lonely depressing walk home for you these last few seasons eh C&P?? :smile:

Back