• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I played the new Pro Evo on the PS3 last night...

seany t

President
Not very good, is it?

As a die hard Pro Evo fan, it seemed fundamentally the same as the version of the game I bought on the PS2 4 years ago.

But with slightly delayed controls. And a lack of speed. And a ref who sent you off for a slight "X" tackle. And with the ability to do short passes out of goal seemingly taken away from you, but with the added bonus of the long goal kick also being fruitless. And with free kicks still impossible. And with the 'rounding the keeper' trick a sure fire way to score EVERY time.

I'm sure patience pays, but after 5 games I was bored and frustrated by its lack of invention and difference.

This obviously was all totally unrelated to only managing at best one solitary draw in all these games...

I don't want to hijack the thread but.....

I am also a PES diehard.

I was recently purchased a PSP with FIFA 09.

Is there a better football game for the PSP I should be aware of.

Last edited:
Hi Sean,

Yeah I agree that it's basically the same game as 4 years ago, with minor adjustments such as shooting. I actually think it's a worse game then PES6 PS2 version, and it is a massive let down.

However, it's still my favourite game out, just because I love PES. It's not too laggy online if you choose your opposition carefully and you can still score good goals.

Basically, a big let down but still a decent game. Konami have lost a lot of their fanbase though.

If you fancy a game sometime, add me, same ID as here.

Last edited:
Hi Sean,

Yeah I agree that it's basically the same game as 4 years ago, with minor adjustments such as shooting. I actually think it's a worse game then PES6 PS2 version, and it is a massive let down.

However, it's still my favourite game out, just because I love PES. It's not too laggy online if you choose your opposition carefully and you can still score good goals.

Basically, a big let down but still a decent game. Konami have lost a lot of their fanbase though.

If you fancy a game sometime, add me, same ID as here.

Alas I don't own a PS3 myself, just tried it around a friends house. Was so disappointed by it though. Other then some slightly higher-res graphics, it was exactly the same. Might check out he Wii version and see if the crazy new control scheme improves things...

I wouldn't hold much hope. Might be good for a laugh but I'd think normal controls are the way forward for football games.

Agreed though, definitely a let down.

I wouldn't hold much hope. Might be good for a laugh but I'd think normal controls are the way forward for football games.

Agreed though, definitely a let down.

Having said that, the very first Pro Evo on PS2 was a bit of a let down too wasn't it? Konami often take a year or two to adapt to the new technology, and more or less repackage the previous years' efforts while they're busy developing a new engine behind the scenes. Its a bit bad, but not the first time its happened. EA admitted they did it with a previous version of FIFA too.

In fact, its one of the reasons I've still not got a PS3. Its only in recent months I've started to notice any games that are merely more than graphical updates being released. Hopefully they'll drop in price after Christmas and I can get myself one...

I was a die hard pro evo fan up to this year, always fought its corner against FIFA and never dreamt i would play fifa again, but this year FIFA 09 is exceptional, and outclasses ProEvo completely! By far the most superior and realistic football game out, im completely addicted to it, especially the online be a pro 10vs10 mode!!

Still on the PS2 and one of the older versions of PES. From my point of view this has always been a great game, but it is never a game I play on my own and it only comes out when there are a group of us.

I have to say I agree with a number of the posters on here; the new Pro Evo is poor! Fifa is simply a class above! The game play and graphics are superb whereas the new Pro looks tacky and was a disappointing purchase!

Pro evo has been poor since it they introduced it on Xbox360 and PS3. I had it on PS2 every year and it was great. But the game play has some how downgraded for me

I've got the Wii version of Pro Evo 08 and the controls aren't gimmicky at all. You don't spend your time waving your arms around to build up speed or anything like that. Instead it's a clever way of using the remote and nunchuck to really have a level of control over player and team movement that is, IMO, far more realistic than using a joypad.

I've got the Wii version of Pro Evo 08 and the controls aren't gimmicky at all. You don't spend your time waving your arms around to build up speed or anything like that. Instead it's a clever way of using the remote and nunchuck to really have a level of control over player and team movement that is, IMO, far more realistic than using a joypad.

Hmmm... intriguing... Might invest?

Definitely play it Seany, I've not played it myself but I've heard others views. Have a go, don't buy a Wii just to try it though.

Go retro and get hold of Sensible (World Of) Soccer. For me, this is the definitive football game as it actually feels like you're controlling it. The whole FIFA/Pro Evo revolution may look spectacular but I've always considered it style over substance.

Hi Sean,
It's not too laggy online if you choose your opposition carefully and you can still score good goals.

Really?, general consensus is that online is a steam pile of dog **** and theres an online petition for Konami to sort it out (they probably wont)

I played it for the first time round my mates on Sunday, along with FIFA, and it seems exactly the same as last year's one whereas FIFA has improved a fair bit.

Back