• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I S P's and stuff

steveo

mine to stay the same please
Have been a long time customer of BTInternet but after phoning their helpline the other day was disappointed to find they have followed the recent trend and moved their call centres to India. I now intend to change ISP. Phoned Bulldog and after waiting for 11 minutes to speak to someone i got fed up with that and phoned Tiscali and was answered by someone in India. Any of you guys use an ISP who have their call centres in England and answer the phone quickly?

I would like to see a national campaign started to support these companies, starting with Natwest bank. If you ring them a real person answers the phone almost immediately and their call centres are all in UK.

I think there is a general murmuring of discontent about companies that move their call centres abroad. To me it smacks of cheap labour and I've got better things to do then spend ages ont he phone conducting whole conversations using the phonetic alphabet!

It's good that Natwest use "UK Call centres " as a strength when they advertise.

If people want cheap goods and services it is inevitable that companies will cut costs by moving operations overseas.

People will always find something to complain about.

My ISP is Blueyonder. I have been with them for nearly six years and the only problem I encountered was when they has a load of servers stolen from Basildon.

They have a UK call centre but it can take a while to get through.

I recommend Pipex - I believe their call centre is based in the UK but my whole experience with them has been so hassle free I haven't had to contact them for over 2 years so I'm not 100% sure. A good stable connection and no problems whatsoever.

I use AOL, which is (to say the very least) a problematic service. They moved their call centres to Inida, and even worse their staff don't know what they're doing, so if I have problems with my connection these days I just have to guess what's wrong and use trial and error to fix it...
tounge.gif

Bring back UK call centres!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Jan. 25 2006,11:39)]Yep Telewest's call centre seems to be in Liverpool as whenever I call them I always get a scouser on the line.
I can't understand Scousers though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Jan. 25 2006,08:10)]If people want cheap goods and services it is inevitable that companies will cut costs by moving operations overseas.
Exactly, all the time people think ultimately with their wallets then call centres will be based abroad because it's cheaper and the savings mean the companies can have more competitive prices. Not saying that's right or fair, it's just the truth!

I would rather pay a couple of quid extra so some guy can quit his night time shelf stacking job and go back to his UK call centre. I rang Plus.Net customer support. After pressing the mandatory 17 keys I was told my call was important and I was in a queue and would be answered in approx 20 minutes which was a shame.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveo @ Jan. 25 2006,23:57)]I would rather pay a couple of quid extra so some guy can quit his night time shelf stacking job and go back to his UK call centre. I rang Plus.Net customer support. After pressing the mandatory 17 keys I was told my call was important and I was in a queue and would be answered in approx 20 minutes which was a shame.
I'll second that - I'd much rather pay a little more so I can speak to someone who can understand and speak English rather than struggle to make myself understood to some chap from India....
glare.gif

I'm with Bulldog and, although it can occasionally be a bit hit & miss if you get through, I'm pretty sure their call centre is in the UK.

You also can't argue with their product... they're going to take over my land-line - which normally costs about £34 a quarter from BT; instead, Bulldog charge £10.50 a month. So that's already £2.50 a quarter cheaper. But it's the internet package which is unbeatable... £9.75 a month for 8MB internet. That has a 1GB download limit on it - doubt I'll breach that, but if I do, I can buy 3GB add-ons for an extra £5 a time.

£9.75 a month is, so far as I can make out, pretty unbeatable for 1 or 2MB download, let alone 8MB. And, having been with them for about 15 months already, I can't argue with the product itself - touch wood, I've had absolutely no problems whatsoever thus far...

smile.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Jan. 26 2006,10:14)]I'm with Bulldog and, although it can occasionally be a bit hit & miss if you get through, I'm pretty sure their call centre is in the UK.

You also can't argue with their product... they're going to take over my land-line - which normally costs about £34 a quarter from BT; instead, Bulldog charge £10.50 a month. So that's already £2.50 a quarter cheaper. But it's the internet package which is unbeatable... £9.75 a month for 8MB internet. That has a 1GB download limit on it - doubt I'll breach that, but if I do, I can buy 3GB add-ons for an extra £5 a time.

£9.75 a month is, so far as I can make out, pretty unbeatable for 1 or 2MB download, let alone 8MB. And, having been with them for about 15 months already, I can't argue with the product itself - touch wood, I've had absolutely no problems whatsoever thus far...

smile.gif

Matt
Do you have a Mac or a PC Matt? Sounds like a great deal that would tempt me to change provider but I'd like to know that a fellow Mac users gives it the thumbs-up first.

I thought of Bulldog so tried their customer helpline. Got fed up waiting after about 15 minutes.
The 8MB Broadband offer is great but nearly all of the country, and as far as I know nearly all of Essex, can only receive 1 or 2MB. So the ISP will provide you with something that equals your current service and hardly ever has to provide 8MB.
If you are unsure what you can receive go to:
www.bt.com/broadband and put your phone number in the “can I get Broadband” section.

Hexagon_sun - I'm a PC user, I'm afraid, so I can't tell you whether or not it works for Mac.

Steveo - I'm fortunate in that I live in London, and my local exchange can offer me the 8MB. At least I think so!

smile.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveo @ Jan. 26 2006,10:29)]The 8MB Broadband offer is great but nearly all of the country, and as far as I know nearly all of Essex, can only receive 1 or 2MB.
I wish I could get Broadband that fast! I'm stuck with 512K here (apparently that's as fast as it will go), not to mention the fact that it kicks me off every half hour or so just for the hell of it!

Yet my friend who lives out in the sticks gets 2MB no problem. It's not fair....
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveo @ Jan. 26 2006,11:11)]check the number Matt you may be surprised, and let me know just out of interest
http://www.bt.com/broadband/
BT say they can offer me up to 2MB; Bulldog say that once they've taken over my line, they can offer me up to 8MB...?

At the end of the day, it's £9.75 a month, which is the bit I really like...

smile.gif

Thing is Mat Bulldog will still presumably use BT's line and if it can only accepts 2MB you cant get 8MB, unless of course your BT line is capable of receiving at 8MB

Back