• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BLUEBLOOD

Moderator of Moderators
Following on from Exiled Shrimpers revelation about witnessing the Ravi-inspired Essex win at Grace Road yesterday, use this thread to tell us about your "i was there" sporting moment

Unfortunately most of my "i was there" moments would centre around SUFC so shouldn't really be mentioned on here

I will give a brief 'heads up' to seeing Graham Gooch hit 176 at Southchurch Park in 1983 in our then record 310-5 vs Glamorgan

Sitting amongst a load of Warwickshire fans as Ashley Cowan trapped Nick Knight first ball (technically 2nd, but the first was a wide) of a Lords final (i forget which one)

Being in a crowd of barely 1000 as another Lords final went to a second day (vs Leicestershire) and watching Essex dismiss our hapless opponents for 76 to claim an oh so easy win

Chatting to a couple of friendly Sussex fans before a match at Hove, they asked about Stuart Law ... i waxed lyrical about him and said he'd score a 100 that day ... even the Sussex boys stood and applauded as Law made 123 without giving a sniff of a chance

Ok, so mine are all cricket .. but any sporting moment can be covered

Over to you

I've seen Ravi Bopara get a golden duck. It was 2 weeks ago. Almost as rare as a double-ton in an OD game.

I was there....

...at Hampden Park when Zinedine Zidane scored this goal against Bayer Leverkusen in the European Cup Final

...at the Olympic Stadium in Athens when three Olympic records were broken in one night - Tim Mack in the pole vault, Liu Xiang in the 110m hurdles and Osleidys Menéndez in the javelin

...at the Circus Tavern when John Part beat Phil Taylor to win the world darts title

...at the first ever NFL regular season game to be played outside North America - Giants vs Dolphins at Wembley

Wimbledon final 2001 (along with AilsaRoadShrimper) - Ivanisevic beat Rafter 9-7 in the final set to finally win the crown. The atmosphere was as loud and un-tennis like as you could get, as the tournament was affected by rain (costing Henman his final spot no doubt), meaning the final was played on a Monday and tickets were on a first come first served basis.

Got to Wimbledon about 5 o clock on the sunday to queue, phoned in to work sick the following morning from the queue, got great seats. After Goran's memorable win you can see my blue Progressive Print home shirt, and AilsaRoad's Orange Wyndham shirt as Goran goes past us to get to his parents in the crowd about 10 foot away. Both shirts were also visible on the back page of that days Evening Standard's coverage of the game.

On the cricket front, I was at the games against Kent and Yorkshire in 1989 that resulted in Essex getting docked 25 points and handing the championship to Worchester..... saw Simon Jones's horrific injury sliding to field in Brisbane, and Gooch's last game for Essex in '97.

Last edited:
Sitting amongst a load of Warwickshire fans as Ashley Cowan trapped Nick Knight first ball (technically 2nd, but the first was a wide) of a Lords final (i forget which one)

Being in a crowd of barely 1000 as another Lords final went to a second day (vs Leicestershire) and watching Essex dismiss our hapless opponents for 76 to claim an oh so easy win

Chatting to a couple of friendly Sussex fans before a match at Hove, they asked about Stuart Law ... i waxed lyrical about him and said he'd score a 100 that day ... even the Sussex boys stood and applauded as Law made 123 without giving a sniff of a chance

Ok, so mine are all cricket .. but any sporting moment can be covered

Over to you

Ditto to the above as well as.....

I was there when John Jensen scored for Arsenal. Can't remember why must have been doing the ground.

I was there when Nasser Hussain (for Essex) and David Gower (for Leicestershire) both scored a century on the same day at Chelmsford!

i was there for the last ball at Southchurch park and the first at Garons.

Wimbledon final 2001 (along with AilsaRoadShrimper) - Ivanisevic beat Rafter 9-7 in the final set to finally win the crown. The atmosphere was as loud and un-tennis like as you could get, as the tournament was affected by rain (costing Henman his final spot no doubt), meaning the final was played on a Monday and tickets were on a first come first served basis.

Got to Wimbledon about 5 o clock on the sunday to queue, phoned in to work sick the following morning from the queue, got great seats. After Goran's memorable win you can see my blue Progressive Print home shirt, and AilsaRoad's Orange Wyndham shirt as Goran goes past us to get to his parents in the crowd about 10 foot away. Both shirts were also visible on the back page of that days Evening Standard's coverage of the game.

Ahh, what a match that was, surely the best Wimbledon final of all time. We looked cool in our Southend shirts amongst a group of obnoxious Aussies!

Off the top of my head other live moments 'I was there' for were:

Essex scoring their largest ever 50 over innings score at the Oval last month, watching Wimbledon V Newcastle in 1988 when Vinnie Jones grabbed hold of Gazza's wotsits, seeing Martina Hingis lose to Jelena Dokic in the 1st round at Wimbledon in 1999.

Seeing Essex win their first trophy (B&H Cup) at Lords in 1979

Attending the Engalnd v Uruguay 0-0 borefest in thr 1966 World Cup

Seeing Graham Gooch score 198 not out against Sussex in the B&H Cup until Ravi's epic effort the highest one day score by an Essex batsman.

Seeing Keith Boyce take 8/26 in the 40 Over JPL, I think this still stands as the best one day analysis.

Seeing Gazza rip the p!ss out of the Jocks in Euro 96.

I was there for both English stages of the 1994 Tour de France, the first time usual road regulations had been changed to allow racing on fully closed roads in the UK.

Also, every England game at Wembley in Euro96 as we got better and better as the tournament went on. Still maintain we'd have won if Redknapp hadn't got injured or if Gascoigne had been 5mm taller!

I was at Wembley for Viv Anderson's England debut against Czechoslovakia in 1977 or '78. The first black player to play for England. To keep on the theme of England full-backs I saw Stuart Pearce's debut in any form of football for Wealdstone against Southend in the FA Cup in about '78 or '79.

Seeing Essex win their first trophy (B&H Cup) at Lords in 1979

Attending the Engalnd v Uruguay 0-0 borefest in thr 1966 World Cup

Seeing Graham Gooch score 198 not out against Sussex in the B&H Cup until Ravi's epic effort the highest one day score by an Essex batsman.

Seeing Keith Boyce take 8/26 in the 40 Over JPL, I think this still stands as the best one day analysis.

Seeing Gazza rip the p!ss out of the Jocks in Euro 96.

What about the original chariot race re-enacted in the film Ben Hur?

October 17 1973 England 1 Poland 1 the night a clown kept for the poles Mr cloughs words not mine,we failed to qualify for the world cup and it took me months to get over it,some things never change.

Back