• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If all is sweet in the SUFC garden.....

biffo

First XI
am i not the most attractive poster on here? Do i moisten you?....................................................................Do you feel the need to call me 'sir biffo'?
after all, i once was a good golfer and i thought i might be a good teacher...but alas doing it and teaching it turned out to be two totally seperate things. This is how bad i could be....
I once had a young lad in my squad. Lets call him 'slightly' couldn't see any promise in him, so to please the club captain i thought i would reduce the wage bill by a couple and let him go to a municipal golf club along the river, sort of as a payback for the nudge about a pikey lad. As luck would have it, slightly is soon to be worth squillions and ryder cup international to boot. As for the pikey lad, we let him go cheap cos he sulked. Oh, and we let another good club pro go cos he didnt fancy driving to work. But i knew they would still call me 'sir biffo' cos they couldn't see the wood for the trees!

I heard about this young lad of yours Sir Biffo, and I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. With such accurate 20-20 hindsight, you may well have dropped a bollock when you let Slightly go, but then you'll recall that he was both Slightly by name and slightly by nature at the time you let him go. It was no surprise that he fell out of the professional golfing game for a while, playing for a while as an amateur because no other high profile golf clubs saw any talent either. Many of the golfing fans and commentators understood the decision so you shouldn't beat yourself up about that.

I'm a little confused though as to how the Slightly lad could be payback for something that would happen in the future. The municipal golf club that you speak of did their shopping elsewhere. Didn't they poach their player from some dodgy golf club in Grays!? To have hindsight and foresight must be truly wonderful.

Alas, some you win and some you lose, Sir Biffo. That the players you brought into the club went on to take the golf club from strength to strength is some testament to you, especially with the loss of go-lightly Slightly. I still applaud you for what you achieved with the club. Competing for a trophy two years running, seeing our golf club play twice at one of the finest courses in the world in Cardiff and then touring some of the best greenery in England last year was fantastic. As fans we love you for it, and we will always remember it, even despite the hindsight some will now apply and beat you with.

Always remember that sometimes you'll land on the fairway, sometimes you'll land in the rough, and sometimes you'll land in the bunker. I'd hazard a guess though that Tiger Woods' fans wouldn't bemoan the end of his career just because his first two shots didn't hit the green.

Last edited:
am i not the most attractive poster on here? Do i moisten you?....................................................................Do you feel the need to call me 'sir biffo'?
after all, i once was a good golfer and i thought i might be a good teacher...but alas doing it and teaching it turned out to be two totally seperate things. This is how bad i could be....
I once had a young lad in my squad. Lets call him 'slightly' couldn't see any promise in him, so to please the club captain i thought i would reduce the wage bill by a couple and let him go to a municipal golf club along the river, sort of as a payback for the nudge about a pikey lad. As luck would have it, slightly is soon to be worth squillions and ryder cup international to boot. As for the pikey lad, we let him go cheap cos he sulked. Oh, and we let another good club pro go cos he didnt fancy driving to work. But i knew they would still call me 'sir biffo' cos they couldn't see the wood for the trees!

And the moral is? We're all in suspense.

crackhead.gif

:angel:​

And the moral is? We're all in suspense.

Even with 20/20 hindsight glasses, a selective memory and a tendency to judge before all the facts come out, you can't deny the truth – even when things don’t go exactly according to plan, a legend will always be a legend.

He won’t get every decision he makes perfectly right, but there’s no denying Steve Tilson is a ****ing Southend legend.

Well done today Tilly and the boys.

Back