• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If Bentley is sold, who's number 1?

• Ted Smith

Votes: 86 40.2%
  • Paul Smith

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • New first choice keeper

Votes: 119 55.6%
  • Bart/Abstain

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters

amsemp

Director⭐
Desperately hope we'll hang on to him now we're up, but if he does end up leaving in the summer, what do we do? Invest in a decent new first team keeper, or let Ted Smith take the shirt?

It's a tricky one as I would have said Ted 100% if we hadn't gone up, but I don't know if League One will be too far of a step too soon for him given his limited experience. I always felt that we sort of knew Bentley would eventually go and that Ted was being groomed as the ready made replacement. League One is a far tougher league for a goalkeeper though and it could be too much too soon.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Ted smiths not ready for another year at least. I said to a mate about five minutes before the end of the match that we only have Dan Bentley for another five minutes.

I now believe that the miracle ending has changed things. I think he will stay and will be sold in january for a cool £1,000,000.

If that happens he will deserve it and someone will be getting a cracking keeper.

League 1 is too far for Smith at the moment, Bentley will stay imo, why move on? League 1 for us will improve his value due to experience & the greater amount of work he may have to do, improving further his ability & worth to the club when the time comes to sell

Ted Smith is older now than DB was when he was dropped into the first team. Ted Smith has also been regarded as the better prospect (and has international experience). I'd be happy with him getting a chance.

Ted smiths not ready for another year at least. I said to a mate about five minutes before the end of the match that we only have Dan Bentley for another five minutes.

I now believe that the miracle ending has changed things. I think he will stay and will be sold in january for a cool £1,000,000.

If that happens he will deserve it and someone will be getting a cracking keeper.

Id want more than a Million, he will be an England keeper one day, this country doesn't have a long list of future english keepers, i think Bentleys career could mirror Joe Harts in some respects, at least 2 million up front & tag on bonuses on promotion & caps

City paid £600,000 back then which rose to £1.5 million, and Hart had only played Conference & League 2, no where near the experience Bentley has at this stage

Would love Bentley to stay, but his reputation is growing and he was showcased on Saturday, only a matter of time. I'd maybe go for an experienced keeper like Brian Murphy at QPR (he's out of contract) and bring Ted Smith through as we did Bentley.

Ted Smith has potential but showed from his performances this season that he's not ready yet. Paul Smith is past it, why go backwards when he hardly convinced in the first place. Got to be a new signing for me, though I doubt we'll find anyone in Bentleys class, I think we'd get someone better than both the Smiths.

I'd be happy with Ted Smith, it will take him a handful of games to get going but Bentley was the same IIRC.

Saying that, I doubt we will sell unless we get a crazy offer.

Best case for me would be keep all 3 keepers we currently have.
Bentley obviously first choice, Paul Smith on the Bench and coaching. Ted Smith season long loan at Braintree , part time , so trains with the other two and gets first team experience in the conference ready to take over from Dan 2016/17

I'd be happy with Ted Smith, it will take him a handful of games to get going but Bentley was the same IIRC.

Saying that, I doubt we will sell unless we get a crazy offer.

Bents contract is winding down and he would shock everyone if he signed any extension ,the club/Ron will not allow him to walk for free.

Bentley looks like a player with a big future ahead of him and I think we will find it difficult to hang onto him. If he does depart in the summer I think Brown will look to recruit a more experienced keeper.

Bents contract is winding down and he would shock everyone if he signed any extension ,the club/Ron will not allow him to walk for free.

He won't walk for free, he will still be under 24 next summer so will demand a fee. I wouldn't be surprised if he signs a 1 year contract extension just to help the club bargain more.

Ted Smith is older now than DB was when he was dropped into the first team. Ted Smith has also been regarded as the better prospect (and has international experience). I'd be happy with him getting a chance.

Ted Smith's games this season reminded me very much of Bentley when he first deputised for Paul Smith.Promising but not yet ready.Lets just hope that whoever is keeping goal for us doesn't now get barracked by the same ,or a fresh set of mindless idiots.

Ted Smith's games this season reminded me very much of Bentley when he first deputised for Paul Smith.Promising but not yet ready.Lets just hope that whoever is keeping goal for us doesn't now get barracked by the same ,or a fresh set of mindless idiots.

Hear Hear, bunch of ********s!!

Would like to see Ted given a chance but fear he's not ready for League 1 just yet. An experienced keeper who can be first choice for a season or two and then happy to be back up to Ted after that. Fingers crossed we'll keep hold of Dan or at least have him back on loan as part of the deal.

Depending on how we do he will probably be sold in January. If we are doing well, I.e near the playoffs, he might stay.

Bentley for one is worth more then £1 million also I don't think his going anywhere so this fantasy thread is pointless

Should we discuss what colour kit the goalkeeper might be wearing next season, rather than what goalkeeper should be wearing the kit?

Bentley for one is worth more then £1 million also I don't think his going anywhere so this fantasy thread is pointless

Should we discuss what colour kit the goalkeeper might be wearing next season, rather than what goalkeeper should be wearing the kit?
If it's a sash kit then he'll be worth £2 million but we'll keep him. If it's a chess board design then he'll be off on a free. Kits are a vital consideration here.

Would like to see Ted given a chance but fear he's not ready for League 1 just yet. An experienced keeper who can be first choice for a season or two and then happy to be back up to Ted after that. Fingers crossed we'll keep hold of Dan or at least have him back on loan as part of the deal.

that signature! :happy::happy::happy:

Back