• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If I was recruiting for Sunderland

sufcintheprem

This is a modified caption
I would be using all my contacts to get Roberto Mancini to come and have a look. Failing that, I would give Houllier a call. Failing that, Big Sam would be my man.

This chairmanship business is a piece of cake.

Avram Grant. Or Schuster.

I'm not sure how these would work out. Getting Schuster in would be almost like Keane mk II but at least with a track record to go by this time. Perhaps Real Madrid's politics wore him down but so early in to a job, he'd already given up. I presume he'll be staying out of the pressure jobs for a while.

Avram Grant probably has the best points per game ratio of any Premiership manager overseeing more than a couple of games. I just have slight doubts over what he could achieve without making his football so pragmatic based on the reliance of a defensive unit. That said, the tools are certainly there to make Sunderland solid at the back.

Surely Ricky Sbragia won't get it on the basis of one good result will he?

Avram Grant is a dreadful manager. I know what it looks like on paper, but it's not the same in reality. Tactically, he was all over the place. He made bad decisions and he couldn't lead a pub team.

Chelsea did so well last season in spite of Grant. They did so well because it was Mourinho's players in Mourinho's system playing Mourinho-style football. They did so well because they were drilled and professional, but the wheels were coming off by the end.

I have never sat in front of a more uninspiring man than Avram Grant. You only had to be in his presence for a couple of minutes to know that he wasn't going to last the summer at Stamford Bridge. He's just not cut out for that job at all.

Schuster is an interesting one. Brilliant for Getafe, but he does seem to have a problem with the media and issues with pressure. Sunderland have just lost someone like that.

Allardyce would be perfect for it though. He's hungry, he's experienced and he's got a track record to back him. They'd be crazy to turn him away.

Naturally. But then again, stranger things have happened. Grant has friends in high places.

Ah, you were joking! I wasn't sure!

I can't help thinking that those friends would have helped him by now. He's obviously desperate to get back in, but no-one's taking him. I think he's faulty stock, to be honest with you. Shame, he's a lovely bloke.

Kevin Keegan's out of work at the moment isn't he?

Keggy Keegle is the perfect choice, given his proven North-East messiah qualities and near identical record to Keane when it comes to rescuing a team seemingly doomed to the 3rd division, promoting them to the Premier$hite and then quitting when it got tough.

Keggy Keegle is the perfect choice, given his proven North-East messiah qualities and near identical record to Keane when it comes to rescuing a team seemingly doomed to the 3rd division, promoting them to the Premier$hite and then quitting when it got tough.

Can he grow a decent beard though?

Avram Grant is a dreadful manager. I know what it looks like on paper, but it's not the same in reality. Tactically, he was all over the place. He made bad decisions and he couldn't lead a pub team.

Chelsea did so well last season in spite of Grant. They did so well because it was Mourinho's players in Mourinho's system playing Mourinho-style football. They did so well because they were drilled and professional, but the wheels were coming off by the end.

I have never sat in front of a more uninspiring man than Avram Grant. You only had to be in his presence for a couple of minutes to know that he wasn't going to last the summer at Stamford Bridge. He's just not cut out for that job at all.

Sorry Snr Slipper, I'm going to have to object to that.

In Mourinho's last season, Chelsea got 83 points, in Grant's only season, he got 85. Playing largely without Didier Drogba (a player who arguably cost them the biggest prize with his sending off), he managed to take them to two cup finals and within three points of a Premier league title.

Most importantly of all, he guided them to a Champions League final and was a post's width away from undeniably winning it.

Say what you like about how he did things and his personal demeanour but goals like Bellamy's just didn't happen under Grant. Defeat's like the one against Arsenal just didn't happen.

All that and the man gets removed as manager. What did Del Bosque do in the years following his dismissal?

Someone else seems to agree on Mancini - he's been backed in from 40 to 20!

Sorry Snr Slipper, I'm going to have to object to that.

In Mourinho's last season, Chelsea got 83 points, in Grant's only season, he got 85. Playing largely without Didier Drogba (a player who arguably cost them the biggest prize with his sending off), he managed to take them to two cup finals and within three points of a Premier league title.

Most importantly of all, he guided them to a Champions League final and was a post's width away from undeniably winning it.

Say what you like about how he did things and his personal demeanour but goals like Bellamy's just didn't happen under Grant. Defeat's like the one against Arsenal just didn't happen.

All that and the man gets removed as manager. What did Del Bosque do in the years following his dismissal?

Someone else seems to agree on Mancini - he's been backed in from 40 to 20!

I know that it all looks good now, but the things I saw!

Greatest Avram Moments:

1, Wandering about Wembley looking lost while John Terry gave the team-talk before extra-time.

2, Not picking Joe Cole for the League Cup Final, watching Nicolas Anelka flail about on the left-wing instead.

3, Panicking while 3-1 up at White Hart Lane, hurling Alex on as the middle-man in confused flat back five and being very, very, very lucky not to lose 4-5

4, Signing Branislav Ivanovic. Never playing him.

5, Signing Nicolas Anelka. Never really sure of how to play him.

Chelsea were carried to a respectable finish by Mourinho's inerta. I really don't think Grant had anything to do with it. The only thing that he did well was not to do very much at all.

I thought they were looking at the dutch guy, Domenech is it? Seems to have a rising stock in football and has the top of the Eredivisie wanting him to take charge...

I thought domenech was the french national side manager. Not sure if theres a dutch manager with the same name

Not that I've hear of.

Are you thinking of Shteve McKlaren? (Jokes aside he really is doing rather well in the early days of his time in Holland)

AAARGH! Wasted my 10,000th post on a rubbish Steve McClaren joke. Woe is me.

you are thinking of co adriaanse. he has ruled himself out by all accounts

Back