• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Benfleet A1

Hector Of The House
I have just finished reading The Day of the Triffids for the umptenth time and it got me wondering. If civilisation as we know it came to an end how would those left survive and due to the technical world we have been brought up in, would that leave us even more worse off.

Let me explain. That book was written in the 1950's and chronicaled how those depicted survived for several years before finally joinning other survivors in a community on The Isle of Wight. In that time, apart from flame throwing triffids, the book acted almost as an diary made up of gathering food, clothes and supplies as well as keeping live stock and attempts at working the land to grow crops. I don't think that we as a species could last for more than five years and heres why.

Anyone over forty would remember their mum pushing a trolly around Wallis and loading up the weekly shop. Food lasted longer them days so if a tin of beans or soup got lost at the back of the cupboard not to resurface for five years then the attitude back then was eat it. And you could because it had a shelf life of about ten years. Now, and I just checked this out, you would be lucky to get two years out of tinned food. I just found a tin of Tomatoe Soup lurking in the cupboard which is out of date by three months. It is probably alright still but I'm not desperate enough to find out so that has been chucked out. Who remembers when a loaf of bread would last maybe a week before going mouldy. It might have been a bit on the hard side but still good enough for toasting and dunking in a mug of tea. Buy a loaf from Tesco's today and if it isn't used in two days it will be going off if not already there.

It's not just food. How are you going to get on with no electric or gas. Fuel is going to run out pretty sharpish as well. Anyone know how to get to the fuel tanks at your local BP. Just keeping warm could be hard work without coal stocks and a fireplace to burn it in. Hands up who still has an open fire at home. But then it probably wouldn't be such a good idea to be at home. Towns and cities would be nortorious breeding grounds for decease what with dead bodies laying about everywhere. So off to the country. Not a nice place either if you think about it. Spoilt crops through lack of harvest, fields of dead cows through lack of milking. Anyone know how to milk a cow by the way. Best start growing your own crops. So your starter for ten and without looking elsewhere for the answer (no electric means no WWW remember) who knows when to plant say potatoes and when to dig them up. Some will survive better than others and learn skills to keep alive, even start to rebuild but many many others would not.

So my question is this. Would we as an species have a better chance of survival if we had not all the technical know how we have and would it have been better to have been brought up learning more practical skills.

I am sure that people would survive and eventually start to thrive again. While there won't be th'internet, there are still books, although you would need a very quick crash course in agriculture, animal husbandry etc. Oil / petrol will eventually run out, but there'll still be other fuels such as coal, peat and wood etc. And that's before you think about food, you are right tinned & preserved foods would eventually run out, therefore learning how to rotate crops will be essential along with learning how to preserve fresh meat etc.

If the dark day happens I'd like to have Ray Mears close by.

So my question is this. Would we as an species have a better chance of survival if we had not all the technical know how we have and would it have been better to have been brought up learning more practical skills.

We'd have a better chance of survival as a species because it would encourage the survival of the fittest. Only the most resourceful, those able to adapt would thrive and therefore prosper. The species would become stronger.

We'd have a better chance of survival as a species because it would encourage the survival of the fittest. Only the most resourceful, those able to adapt would thrive and therefore prosper. The species would become stronger.

Oh, and me. I work in horticulture, and am fairly adept at growing veg.

Anyone good at fishing? I'll trade!

Can't do the animal thing, but I started growing veg for the 1st time last year. If I do say myself what a success apart from the beetroot had loads of it ended up spoiling. But my potatoes, carrots and beans did really well, used them right up. I tell ya well worth usin any bit of spare garden. It's the way forward, once we start doin this again the supermarkets will not be able to dictate the seasons. (my children like and eat cucumber, my bug bear is that only spain can grow it! false we all can, please boycott spanish cu.)

I have just finished reading The Day of the Triffids for the umptenth time and it got me wondering. If civilisation as we know it came to an end how would those left survive and due to the technical world we have been brought up in, would that leave us even more worse off.

Let me explain. That book was written in the 1950's and chronicaled how those depicted survived for several years before finally joinning other survivors in a community on The Isle of Wight. In that time, apart from flame throwing triffids, the book acted almost as an diary made up of gathering food, clothes and supplies as well as keeping live stock and attempts at working the land to grow crops. I don't think that we as a species could last for more than five years and heres why.

Anyone over forty would remember their mum pushing a trolly around Wallis and loading up the weekly shop. Food lasted longer them days so if a tin of beans or soup got lost at the back of the cupboard not to resurface for five years then the attitude back then was eat it. And you could because it had a shelf life of about ten years. Now, and I just checked this out, you would be lucky to get two years out of tinned food. I just found a tin of Tomatoe Soup lurking in the cupboard which is out of date by three months. It is probably alright still but I'm not desperate enough to find out so that has been chucked out. Who remembers when a loaf of bread would last maybe a week before going mouldy. It might have been a bit on the hard side but still good enough for toasting and dunking in a mug of tea. Buy a loaf from Tesco's today and if it isn't used in two days it will be going off if not already there.

It's not just food. How are you going to get on with no electric or gas. Fuel is going to run out pretty sharpish as well. Anyone know how to get to the fuel tanks at your local BP. Just keeping warm could be hard work without coal stocks and a fireplace to burn it in. Hands up who still has an open fire at home. But then it probably wouldn't be such a good idea to be at home. Towns and cities would be nortorious breeding grounds for decease what with dead bodies laying about everywhere. So off to the country. Not a nice place either if you think about it. Spoilt crops through lack of harvest, fields of dead cows through lack of milking. Anyone know how to milk a cow by the way. Best start growing your own crops. So your starter for ten and without looking elsewhere for the answer (no electric means no WWW remember) who knows when to plant say potatoes and when to dig them up. Some will survive better than others and learn skills to keep alive, even start to rebuild but many many others would not.

Fires are going to be the first problem, also law and order will be a major problem

Salt would become more valuable than oil...

Yes, I learnt that from Jericho...

Thing is now we're even more reliant on electricity than we were when Wyndham wrote Day of the Triffids, especially because of computers.

Much like Wyndham's book it would still be best to head to a small island where you could easily clear the Triffids. But also find an island with a wind turbine farm on - you have some electricity at least then. I'd hit up some libraries, farm supply stores etc to find all the knowledge & supplies I needed to keep the turbines going & to learn to grow food etc.

Thing is now we're even more reliant on electricity than we were when Wyndham wrote Day of the Triffids, especially because of computers.

Much like Wyndham's book it would still be best to head to a small island where you could easily clear the Triffids. But also find an island with a wind turbine farm on - you have some electricity at least then. I'd hit up some libraries, farm supply stores etc to find all the knowledge & supplies I needed to keep the turbines going & to learn to grow food etc.

But the wind turbines will still require oil for the lubrication of the parts. I guess we could use butter or animal fat, but even if you handed me an axe and a particularly trusting cow, I wouldn't have the first idea where to start.

I reckon Scott is right. There would be mass panic, law and order would break down and gangs would just fight for resources until they ran out and everyone died.

As long as we can reproduce we will be sorted. As good as an Entrecot steak...

I would survive on Vesta chow meins and Pepperamis and if I caught Ray Mears anywhere near my crispy noodles I'd kick his ****ing head in.

Last edited:
But the wind turbines will still require oil for the lubrication of the parts. I guess we could use butter or animal fat, but even if you handed me an axe and a particularly trusting cow, I wouldn't have the first idea where to start.

I reckon Scott is right. There would be mass panic, law and order would break down and gangs would just fight for resources until they ran out and everyone died.

The axe is a red herring. It won't help you milk the cow at all.

If civilization really came to an end mans oldest enemy, fire, would become his most valuable friend. I would certainly be able to knock out disposable lighters for considerably more than the five for a pound deal I currently offer.

Last edited:
Back