• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

People say don't change a winning team, but if Bentley was injured but we still won, I'm sure they'd be like "well thanks Ted (Smith, Tes, whoever) but Bentley comes back in." It'd be the same with Timlin, Corr, Coker et al.

Pick your best team, not a winning team.

Having said that, at this moment in time Leonard is holding down the right back position and White hasn't played for nearly a month. I don't rate JW particularly highly and Leonard has some attributes that JW doesn't have. Also, JW played through a knock during our playoff campaign last season and he was well below par.

Very true point, however Leonard's come back into that position to cover and he's earned the shirt (as did Deegan & Atkinson). To drop him after his recent performances just because John White is available, would be very harsh on him in my opinion.

There's absolutely no way Leonard can be left out.He can do things no-one else can-think last minute tackle at Bury,crucial volley from 35 yards at Dagenham etc. but White is still just a little bit more solid defensively at RB.Deegan and Timlin are absolute musts in MF but assuming we want Worrall on the right not the left*,Timlin could move wider and replace Atkinson.
*we seem to focus our attacks down whichever wing he is on,partly making full use of his unbelievable heading ability!

There's absolutely no way Leonard can be left out.He can do things no-one else can-think last minute tackle at Bury,crucial volley from 35 yards at Dagenham etc. but White is still just a little bit more solid defensively at RB.Deegan and Timlin are absolute musts in MF but assuming we want Worrall on the right not the left*,Timlin could move wider and replace Atkinson.
*we seem to focus our attacks down whichever wing he is on,partly making full use of his unbelievable heading ability!
Its strange when i see quotes like "Lenny absolutely cannot be left out"
Although you have quoted 2 examples of brilliance, Lenny for me , has been the most disappointing player this season, not reaching the heights of last year, where he clearly was our best player and won the acculades he deserved.
This statement is based on, i have seen every game this season both home and away, and how he has not been dropped, and how he has been made Captain, is jaw dropping.
But, i know he wont let us down on Saturday
UTB

I think we all forget how old Lenny is. He's absolutely one of our very best players and though this season he has not been as good as last season, but it was always going to be tough for a young footballer who'd only played in the centre midfield for one year to keep up that level of consistency.

With regards to who is the better choice on Saturday, it should be Leonard for me. Not based on who is the better right back, but based on his match readiness, we can't risk JW pulling up with a re-occurrence of the injury 10 minutes in for example.

Would you slot him back in as a replacement for Lenny .As it has show that Lenny isn't a natural right back .Or would you stick with lenny for his pace and long throws .

Lenny's playing well and has the shirt. He starts for me.

There is no reason for PB to drop Lenny. As somebody said earlier, he has the shirt and Phil puts a lot of store on that. Lenny will start and be captain, its nailed on.

When picking up tickets at club yesterday Ben clarkson was there and he said everyone fit. However agree don't change a winning lineup.

That's excellent news, as I though Thompson was out until October :dim:

Wonder if he should come in for Bolger :smile:

Its strange when i see quotes like "Lenny absolutely cannot be left out"
Although you have quoted 2 examples of brilliance, Lenny for me , has been the most disappointing player this season, not reaching the heights of last year, where he clearly was our best player and won the acculades he deserved.
This statement is based on, i have seen every game this season both home and away, and how he has not been dropped, and how he has been made Captain, is jaw dropping.
But, i know he wont let us down on Saturday
UTB

People are making those comments based on his recent form at right back, you cant use his performances earlier in the season in a different position to judge his right to be picked now.

I think White is a good player, and underrated by some, but even I see justification in Leonard keeping the shirt.

He has played well over the past few games and thats all that matters, the rest of the season is irrelevant.

That said I do agree "absolutely cant be left out" is too strong, I dont think there is much between him and White.

If Leonard does start though and we are winning I would definitely like to see White come on so he can finish the season and celebrate in a shirt and not a tracksuit.

I get the 'don't change a winning team' argument but I'd still pick John White (he says predictably). As an earlier poster says, all that matters is the result - if we win, Brown made the right choice - if we lose he made the wrong one.

I think Brown will stick with Leonard for 2 reasons - 1 because he's Leonard and 2 because Brown has a track record of letting people who have come in and done well stay in the side. In particular centre halves - we've had a few injuries there this season and as long as the incoming player has performed, he's stayed in. JBW had a run of games at centre half when he's clearly far from the best centre half we have - simply because the team was winning. But when we lose, Brown reverts to "who is the best player" and when people haven't performed (Barrett and Bolger at Stevenage) they've lost their place again.

Back