• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What would you like to see happen?

• Ron to remain and sort the mess out?

Votes: 29 15.2%
  • Ron to leave and new owners come in?

Votes: 76 39.8%
  • No bloody idea?

Votes: 86 45.0%

• Total voters

Smiffy

¡Viva la Aussielución! 🇦🇺 🦘 ⭐️
Staff member
So "rumours" are still circling and growing regarding Sainsbury possibly pulling out of the stadium deal.

If so, what would you like to see happen?

Would you be happy for Ron to remain and seek an alternate retailer to take the project on? Baring in mind the whole planning process would have to be started from scratch.

Has Ron had his chance and would you like him to walk. With perhaps new owners, fresh investment and ideas to come in?

Or are you so confused by it all, you just don't know?

For me I fall in between the last two options. I would like new owners to come in, but not sure of the financial implications of Ron leaving.

So "rumours" are still circling and growing regarding Sainsbury possibly pulling out of the stadium deal.

Would you be happy for Ron to remain and seek an alternate retailer to take the project on?

Would you like Ron to walk and perhaps new owners, fresh investment and ideas to come in?

Ron walks then new owners take over and build a modest stadium with the club having ALL revenue the stadium brings.Of course the stadium will have provision for increased capacity as and when.

Would you be happy for Ron to remain and seek an alternate retailer to take the project on? Baring in mind the whole planning process would have to be started from scratch.

Has Ron had his chance and would you like him to walk. With perhaps new owners, fresh investment and ideas to come in?

Or are so confused by it all you just don't know?

For me I fall in between the last two options. I would like new owners to come in, but not sure of the financial implications of Ron leaving.

The planning process for Roots Hall would be started again, but not FF. That would be the case whoever the owner is.

I'm not saying I want him to stay, or want him to go. I'm just stating that FF won't need to be started again.

I would suggest a reasonable plan would be for Ron and his property developers to seek planning permission to build flats/houses on the RH site as this now a massivly more attractive proposal than a few years ago given the huge leap in property values - potentially millions for Ron. Obviously the same rules apply regarding the relocation of the stadium, i.e. 13k seats must be up and runniung at FF before work could begin.

If Sainsbury have pulled the plug Im pretty sure we will be starting for scratch. Planning permission would have to start from the beginning as the Roots Hall re-development will be completely different, and a lot of what was agreed in the latest planning meetings involved Sainsbury.

The plans at Fossetts dont need to be changed, but its all so tied in that Im sure we will be back to square one with no possibility of a Stadium for many years to come.

The big questions are if Sainsbury pull out does that give Ron an incentive to walk away, will it leave him with a clean slate or act as a massive anchor?

I would suggest a reasonable plan would be for Ron and his property developers to seek planning permission to build flats/houses on the RH site as this now a massivly more attractive proposal than a few years ago given the huge leap in property values. Obviouls the same rules apply regarding the relocation of the stadium, i.e. 13k seats must be up and runniung at FF before work could begin.

Rules wont apply, the staged plan was agreed purely because that was what Sainsbury had agreed to fund, without that funding the plan changes completely.

The planning process for Roots Hall would be started again, but not FF. That would be the case whoever the owner is.

I'm not saying I want him to stay, or want him to go. I'm just stating that FF won't need to be started again.

Very true. However if new people were to get involved that could mean a scaling down/up or changes to the stadium plans. It may even mean a change of location?......a smaller "Community" type stadium at Roots Hall perhaps?

Either way it is many more years of delays.

If Sainsbury's pulled out then the planning process doesn't have to completely restart does it? It's perfectly feasible (albeit unlikely) that a rival supermarket could come in and take on the development as it stands.

Aldi - no - current store around the corner
Asda - IMO the most likely
Co-op - No. Site is probably too big
Iceland - I'd say unlikely. Sutton Rd store
Lidl - No. Few stores nearby
M&S - Wouldn't want to lose their high street location, but a possibility.
Morrisons - Potentially, but tough times for them
Tesco - Big store nearby, plus potential development in town. Unlikely.
Waitrose - Big store nearby

Otherwise - it could be that a 'retail park' developer comes on board to do both of the sites. maybe a possibility if the airport one moves/shuts.

If Sainsbury have pulled the plug Im pretty sure we will be starting for scratch. Planning permission would have to start from the beginning as the Roots Hall re-development will be completely different, and a lot of what was agreed in the latest planning meetings involved Sainsbury.

The plans at Fossetts dont need to be changed, but its all so tied in that Im sure we will be back to square one with no possibility of a Stadium for many years to come.

The big questions are if Sainsbury pull out does that give Ron an incentive to walk away, will it leave him with a clean slate or act as a massive anchor?

Very good question.

If Sainsbury's pulled out then the planning process doesn't have to completely restart does it? It's perfectly feasible (albeit unlikely) that a rival supermarket could come in and take on the development as it stands.

Otherwise - it could be that a 'retail park' developer comes on board to do both of the sites. maybe a possibility if the airport one moves/shuts.

I'm sure it would as its a new applicant. I very much doubt they would want the exact same layout as the Sainsbury plans either. It would mean years of delays.

The word has been that The Southend Airport retail park, has been in talks regards moving to another site.
As the airport want to expand.
Roots Hall maybe!!

Very true. However if new people were to get involved that could mean a scaling down/up or changes to the stadium plans. It may even mean a change of location?......a smaller "Community" type stadium at Roots Hall perhaps?

In that case, in the interests of time, wouldn't it be better if RM stays?

Im pretty sure even if Asdsa came in the whole process would have to be re-done.

They wouldnt build exactly the same store that Sainsbury planned to, nor have they agreed anything that Sainsbury would have agreed as part of the phased development.

The word has been that The Southend Airport retail park, has been in talks regards moving to another site.
As the airport want to expand.
Roots Hall maybe!!

No, those out of town parks are out of town for a reason, they wouldnt get permission to build there, and would be far more expensive.

I'm sure it would as its a new applicant. I very much doubt they would want the exact same layout as the Sainsbury plans either. It would mean years of delays.

The RH development yes, but the uncertainty in the development is massively reduced because Saino's got permission. I don't think it would take the huge amount of time if Sainbury's give it a clean break. The danger is that Saino's pull out but drag their feet to defend against other competitors and we're caught in the middle.

In that case, in the interests of time wouldn't it be better if RM stays?

For me, no. I think the delays would be the same whether Ron found a new retailer, or if new people came in to get the project moving. I think the Council would be of the same opinion as well.

He has had his chance IMO. Time for another option.

Im pretty sure even if Asdsa came in the whole process would have to be re-done.

They wouldnt build exactly the same store that Sainsbury planned to, nor have they agreed anything that Sainsbury would have agreed as part of the phased development.

No, those out of town parks are out of town for a reason, they wouldnt get permission to build there, and would be far more expensive.

Yeah ok I guess so.

The RH development yes, but the uncertainty in the development is massively reduced because Saino's got permission. I don't think it would take the huge amount of time if Sainbury's give it a clean break. The danger is that Saino's pull out but drag their feet to defend against other competitors and we're caught in the middle.

Yep, I cant imagine they will be too keen to allow Asda/Morrisons/Tesco etc to take up residence at Roots Hall without a fight...

For me, no. I think the delays would be the same whether Ron found a new retailer, or if new people came in to get the project moving. I think the Council would be of the same opinion as well.

He has had his chance IMO. Time for another option.

But that isn't what you said, and what I answered:

If RM stays then Ron World doesn't change.

Yep, I cant imagine they will be too keen to allow Asda/Morrisons/Tesco etc to take up residence at Roots Hall without a fight...

In the end there's only so much fighting they can do - they don't own the land (#1 tactic) and they may or may not have leverage over Ron. I really hope Ron hasn't been dumb enough to get rinsed by Sainsbury's for the advances seeing as there was always the risk of Sainsbury's pulling out. He wouldn't be able to repay anyway so I doubt Sainsbury's really want to be directly responsible for the death of a professional football club.

We'll see... this is all hypothetical anyway.

But that isn't what you said, and what I answered:

If RM stays then Ron World doesn't change.

No, what I am saying is if new people came in and even changed the stadium plans, I still believe they would get it done quicker and to plan, than Ron would. All confidence in him delivering has been shot to pieces from my point of view.

Ron Martin owns the club. What I want to see happen is irrelevant. Unless Sainsbury's pulling out bankrupts him (which I can't see being the case) he will not be going anywhere.

Back