• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
If southend ceased to exist :

Where would that leave roots hall?

Would sainsburys and Ron just be able to build the new superstore or are there clauses in place when they applied that this cant happen?

How would we go around re-grouping and reforming and what sort of level could we realisticaly be expected to start at if we were to become afc southend.

That also bring me to my next subject. Where would we play? We would be homeless.

The reason i am asking these questions is that the only reason i think sainsbury's bailed us out was that ron probably told them that the club was on its last legs and when we go they can be on site asap.

I may be wrong but i dont think Ron has any intention of selling at any price and will be quite happy to fold the club and just build a scaled down site on fossetts purely for retail and hotel and be done with all of us.

I think we should all be prepared in the coming months to be saying goodbye to 104 years of history.

Wasnt sure what forum to post this so mods feel free to move to shrimpers chat if need be.

There is a covenant that prevents anything being built on the Roots Hall site, untill the club is relocated and has a new home.

However, if there is no club, then the covenant will surely be void.

I'm gunna edit the last line, just in case it's deemed libelous

That was my thinking aswell mate. No club then no ruling. If we go then sainsburys will go up on site like lightening.

That was my thinking aswell mate. No club then no ruling. If we go then sainsburys will go up on site like lightening.

Exactly.

PLUS, I also reckon that by hook or by crook, Ron will still be able to build RonaldWorld on the FF site.

Minus the new stadium ofcourse which will be surplus to requirement. Although when we reform he may build a 8k breeze block ******* of a new build and rent it too us.

Mods could you please move this thread to the main forum so that we can actually debate this properly

Minus the new stadium ofcourse which will be surplus to requirement. Although when we reform he may build a 8k breeze block ******* of a new build and rent it too us.

Mods could you please move this thread to the main forum so that we can actually debate this properly

That is how i see it, and what i've feared for a while.

Ron might be a lot of things, but one thing you can't deny, he is a very clever man. The little stumbling block of 'no club' won't stop him from reaching his main goal.

Also, Mods, Tommy is right, can this be put into the main forum please

If, Southend was reformed and AFC SUFC were able to find somewhere suitable to play, we would probably be placed at Non-League Step 4 as the newly reformed Chester FC have been and as Halifax Town and Boston FC were.

If, Southend was reformed and AFC SUFC were able to find somewhere suitable to play, we would probably be placed at Non-League Step 4 as the newly reformed Chester FC have been and as Halifax Town and Boston FC were.

I think the norm is at least three levels down from where you were. Ryman Premier it is then. By the way, AFC SUFC is a poor name with too many FCs.

yeah i think so or southend athletic or Southend villa etc etc

I sense a ground share with Wakering Rovers.

The thought of us starting again at the moment is bizaarly really appealing . 2-3 thousand shrimpers travelling all over essex in the ryman premier. Little grounds proper little club houses while stryving for promotion each year with the holy grail of league football in our headlights.

Or maybe i have just resigned myself that the blues will fold.

If Rons aim ultimately was to fold the club by gaining the fossetts site and then losing just the stadium part of the development then ultimately we have helped him achieve his goal by campaigning hard to both southend and rochford councils.

In effect Ron has used us against the club in a strange twist of fate. That is something that angers me beyond all else.

As far as I am aware that there is a condition in the planning permission that doesnt allow the Sainsbury's to build anything more than the shell until SUFC are in the new stadium. Now if the club were to go bust then I would imagine that the planning permission becomes null and void and new planning permission would be required, which is where we could play a part in the fact that if we kick up enough fuss and all object to the building on whatever grounds we can come up with, then it would have to be referred to the full council and could even be called in by the secretary of state like the stadium was. We may not be able to stop them building it in the long term but we could certainly give them the run around for many years costing them lots of money.

As far as I am aware that there is a condition in the planning permission that doesnt allow the Sainsbury's to build anything more than the shell until SUFC are in the new stadium. Now if the club were to go bust then I would imagine that the planning permission becomes null and void and new planning permission would be required, which is where we could play a part in the fact that if we kick up enough fuss and all object to the building on whatever grounds we can come up with, then it would have to be referred to the full council and could even be called in by the secretary of state like the stadium was. We may not be able to stop them building it in the long term but we could certainly give them the run around for many years costing them lots of money.

So we give Sainsbury's absolute **** and grief after they were kind enough to bail Martin out with many millions ? Seems a bit unfair to me.

They didnt bail us out it was a necessary evil to get the hands on roots hall. They have had to soend 3 million to protect further millions

Sainsburys' motivation

I agree that its a bit harsh to give Sainsburys the grief - it was Ron that created the situation. However I do think that they's be fairly mindful of public opinion on this.

I work for a certain bank that was involved in selling Selhurst Park to a new consortium a few weeks ago and several hundred Palace fans protested outside our head office in the City. I was in the building and it made an impact. Press coverage was quite large so companies are sensitive to image and social reputation.

The Echo says it is going to publish a 4 page special on the club's finances on Monday - doubt it'll be hard hitting but we can live in hope!

I would love to know exactly how much Sainsbury's have paid to RM ?

I'd love to know how much money has come in, how much money has been moved around group companies, how much money we actually got for Lee Barnard, have we been repaid the overcharge by the taxmen, how much we have spent on legal fees ??? So many questions, so few answers, so few players.

Sainsburys vs Martin - no contest, would they really continue dealing with a scheister like him if it came down to it ?

They have an image to uphold, I can't see them shafting the club and the fans personally.

I think it's time the trust or a group of savvy fans with some business knowledge tried to arrange a meeting with Sainsburys, we need to work with them not against and they could turn out to be our saviour.

I've got plenty of business knowledge and some time so if anyone local wants to take this on i'm in, i'm willing to travel down from Norfolk to help but it needs to be uber professional guys if we want them to take us seriously.

Back