• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jay_Shrimper

Mummy's Little Soldier
I'm sure I will get flamed for this, but here goes....

I was just reading through a thread on here, and I'm getting the impression that a couple of fans on here are still thinking that we have left ourselves with to much to do. (I don't mind this as we all have opinions, and I think we've left ourselves a hard job to complete, but I reackon we could just about do it), but surely, we should be encouraging our players to be doing the best they possibly can? What if they come on here and read what people are saying? Isn't that a great confidence boost for them.

I know I sound as if I'm being horrible to some of the fans on here, I don't mean it to sound like it
sad.gif
, but I think we should be giving our boys the utmost support we can give, instead of 'giving up on the survival game'. Fans have been slating off Lee Bradders for ages, and then he scores a winner for us and all the fans suddenly change? Funny init?
rock.gif

Even if we did go down, we ARE going to go down fighting, and when we do start the new season, wether it be in this league, or the league below, the players should be on a high from all the support they have recieved, and hopefully had a good spell of football at the end of last season.

Guys, we have to remember this is our first season of championship football in a very long time, we are a very small squad and we don't have as much expierence at this level as other teams do. We have had 2 back-to-back promotions and have basically been thrown in at the deep end without much preperation. Without Tilly and Brush, I honestly don't think we would be where we are know. Do we really think we would be applying for a new 22,000 seater if we was in League 2 still? No. We've come a massive way in the last few years and we have to stay strong. Just because this season hasn't been a complete success like the other season, I don't think we are being fair on the players.

Come on guys, lets support them.

We always knew it was going to be tough....The bookies had us as favourites to go down at the start of the season......Recent form shows we have the skill to win games I reckon we can shock the odds and survive ...but hey if we dont, its been a great year in the History of Southend.....

Keep the faith....

I'm not sure why you think you'll be 'flamed' for it.

Looks like a measured and well-written post. I would only comment that although the atmosphere on here has been very low at times, I feel that, certainly around me at games, we've stuck by the team quite well this season.

Exactly. I was just trying to say that I think people should be supporting the team, and not critising them.

Yes, constructive cristism is allowed, but I think just plain slating isn't fair on the players.
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jay_Shrimper @ Jan. 15 2007,15:27)]What if they come on here and read what people are saying? Isn't that a great confidence boost for them.
So when we were getting beaten 3-0 every week and sitting about 11 points adrift what should we have been posting ?

Sorry but there will always be criticism on here, and at times this season its been justified. There are also times when theres been unfair criticism, but thats forums for you..

At the moment the team are playing much better and we do have a realistic chance of survival.

My concern is that now we have done ok for a while the hope to survive will turn into an expectation to survive, and its still going to be some achievement to perform better than 3 of the teams above us for the rest of the season.

I think we have too much to do.. Which is a shame as the team have proved with a bit of confidence, and a bit of luck, they can hold their own in this league.. Alas this realiasation came 15 games too late..
sad.gif
There is still a chance though.. you never know in football
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Jan. 15 2007,15:34)]I feel that, certainly around me at games, we've stuck by the team quite well this season.
Most people have, I was just trying to say that I've seen more and more posts recently 'creeping' in basically putting the team down onto thier relegation bed already. I was just trying to put my point across that I think we should be encouraging and supporting them, and not giving up on them, like some people are doing.

I hope that doesn't read as harsh as what I think it does.
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jam_Man @ Jan. 15 2007,15:39)]So when we were getting beaten 3-0 every week and sitting about 11 points adrift what should we have been posting ?

Sorry but there will always be criticism on here, and at times this season its been justified. There are also times when theres been unfair criticism, but thats forums for you..

At the moment the team are playing much better and we do have a realistic chance of survival.

My concern is that now we have done ok for a while the hope to survive will turn into an expectation to survive, and its still going to be some achievement to perform better than 3 of the teams above us for the rest of the season.
I wasn't saying that I don't like the critism when we are losing, I quite agree because most of it all seems to make sense. We seem to be on quite a good run at the moment, and still I find a couple of people 'giving up'. I don't want them to feel that they are not allowed to think that, I just think they should still be supporting.
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SARF @ Jan. 15 2007,15:41)]I think we have too much to do..  
At 16:40 on Saturday afternoon we were only 3 points from safety with 18 games to play.

Shame Hull scored two late goals, but shows how close its getting, as opposed to October when it looked like we were going to go down with a 20 point gap....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jam_Man @ Jan. 15 2007,15:46)]At 16:40 on Saturday afternoon we were only 3 points from safety with 18 games to play.

Shame Hull scored two late goals, but shows how close its getting, as opposed to October when it looked like we were going to go down with a 20 point gap....
Seems more than realistic to me!

Up The Blues!
biggrin.gif

*On a side note, what an Excellent 5 minutes of football Hull had, shame its not a good result for us.*
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jam_Man @ Jan. 15 2007,15:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (SARF @ Jan. 15 2007,15:41)]I think we have too much to do..  
At 16:40 on Saturday afternoon we were only 3 points from safety with 18 games to play.

But we 'are' still six points from safety after 2 great bk to bk wins.. Yes a couple more teams are sucked into the mire, but alas we have Derby and Brum up next.. 6 could easily become 9 again.. Three wins in this league dont come cheap.. Out turn around in fortunes is great.. I really hope we can do it.. But I think its a bit too much..Our real hope is having most of the other relegation candidates at home in the 2nd half of the season ..

I wouldn't worry too much about the players coming on here and, anwyay, surely a discussion forum is just the place to be voicing any complaints/worries/pessimism you might have.

Everyone has their opinion and this is the place to shout it. But come game time and then it's time to get behind the team (and I think on the whole we've stuck with the team pretty well - for a bottom of the table side we are still turning up in numbers home and away and getting behind the lads)

But we can't walk around town with a scarf and permanent grin on our face just in case we bump into Adam Barrett and don't wish to upset him.

maybe everyone on here does slate players but at least we aren't a club like many prem clubs and a lot of clubs in our league who are at the top and lose and their players get booed off the pitch. i think our fans have booed once when jcr went off.

thats pretty good if you ask me!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jay_Shrimper @ Jan. 15 2007,15:27)]Fans have been slating off Lee Bradders for ages, and then he scores a winner for us and all the fans suddenly change? Funny init?
rock.gif
Actually I don't think they make an appearance when we win. Speaking of which, no "Wiggy's ratings" today I see, or more likely, "wiggys ratings"

Most footy fans are whingers, either on the quiet or out loud.. Its the nature of the beast.. You can be 3-0 up and still have the hump thet we let a goal in at the death.. Thats Football!! always has been always will be.. Well untill they let Women and kids into the grounds!!!
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SARF @ Jan. 15 2007,15:52)]But we 'are' still six points from safety after 2 great bk to bk wins..  Yes a couple more teams are sucked into the mire, but alas we have Derby and Brum up next.. 6 could easily become 9 again..
Indeed the gap could get bigger again over the next two weeks but everyone else down with us also has to play them at somepoint, so better get them out of the way now and hopefully regain the points.

Its going to be tough but we have already halved the deficit in the last 8 games and have 18 more in which to clear those last 6 points.

Plenty to be hopeful about.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jam_Man @ Jan. 15 2007,15:46)]At 16:40 on Saturday afternoon we were only 3 points from safety with 18 games to play.

Shame Hull scored two late goals
It was but the fact is it did at least drag QPR further into trouble and with many more sides in the mix now it's looking promising if we can keep picking up points - especially with the likes of Leeds, Luton, QPR, Barnsley and Leicester all to come at home.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jam_Man @ Jan. 15 2007,16:04)]Indeed the gap could get bigger again over the next two weeks but everyone else down with us also has to play them at somepoint, so better get them out of the way now and hopefully regain the points.
The best thing is after these 2 extremely tough games our run-in is extremely favourable when compared to others down the bottom.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Jan. 15 2007,16:07)]
[b said:

Shame Hull scored two late goals
It was but the fact is it did at least drag QPR further into trouble
Yep thats a consolation.

Shame Col U didnt beat them the other week....

Back