• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

ElstreeBlue

Coach
...still haven't been paid, how does that make you feel? Would you want to do something about it? What can we as fans do?

The last we heard, we'd been told that they would be properly paid. Yet, we know that Tilly alleged a few weeks ago that he hadn't been paid since April. These allegations weren't denied by OUR club, which released a very short statement that indicated that it still had to go through a legal fight. Why? He's not even been sacked, but been put on "gardening leave". Whatever that means. (It's not as if OUR club should be worried about Tilly stealing trade secrets or trying to poach key staff, which is the usual point of gardening leave clauses.) Tilly's said he's been left in limbo and hasn't been able to move on.

If (and I say "if" because in the absence of any official statements we can only assume that things may still not have been sorted) these legends of OUR club still haven't been paid when OUR club is supposed now to have money to pay its way, what on earth is being done in the name of OUR club and are we prepared just to sit by, simply shake our head and do nothing if that's the case? What can we collectively do to ensure the legends of OUR club are paid up to date for anything that may be owed to them (if they've not been paid) and so they can get on with their lives?

I agree this is an issue IF it is still the case. As I've said before I'm very supportive of the new team but not of the regime that has done a complete volte face from no support to a manager to total support including paying for scouting trips abroad. It still stinks!! BUT we need to be clear first what's happened in the background before we jump up and down. Anyone know?

As JamesTheSuperBlue who knows Tilly very well said on the 11th of this month...

"Steve Tilson has not received a penny from the club in weekly pages or back pay. He is owed 6 months worth. Has not heard from the club or its lawyers, and Tilson's solicitors are taking certain routes to get what he is rightfully owed. Anybody who has heard any different has heard wrong".

So unless anything has changed this week this is still the current position.

Its a ****ing disgrace. Ron should be ashamed, but we all no he wont feel an ounce of remorse

Problem is though it's not OUR club, it's the property of somebody who doesn't care who or what he steps on to get his own way...

Problem is though it's not OUR club, it's the property of somebody who doesn't care who or what he steps on to get his own way...

Agree. The other problem is no one seems to want to do anything about it anymore. I think people are happy now we have a team at the moment and dont think about the past or the future?

Agree. The other problem is no one seems to want to do anything about it anymore. I think people are happy now we have a team at the moment and dont think about the past or the future?

It's interesting that this undercurrent of discontent seems to be bubbling up again amongst a few on here.
Maybe just maybe these few sparks can ignite into a blazing protest against the actions of certain people?

Agreed. Ron, for all that he pretended that he had become a Southend "fan" when he was prancing around all over the pitch in the good times, let it slip just a few months ago when he said that it was his club and that he could do what he liked with it. Now he's nowhere to be seen, he's got rid of the most successful manager in the club's history whilst saying that he would be looked after and receive what he's due and damn near went under thanks to him ****ing off HMRC.

In fact, it would be better if he had just sacked Tilly rather than placing him on gardening leave as at least then he could move on and seek paid employment elsewhere. Now he's left in limbo without receiving a penny from that **** since April!

It's interesting that this undercurrent of discontent seems to be bubbling up again amongst a few on here.
Maybe just maybe these few sparks can ignite into a blazing protest against the actions of certain people?

Look Interpol, if that is your real name. ;)
It's bubbling among everybody, not just a few. 99.9% of all of our fans hate Ron but a lot are enjoying going on a Saturday again, which is what it's all about.
These sparks won't ignite, the one that should have ignited was sacking Tilson, if everyone can get over that, what will it have to be to bring our fan base into complete uproar?

UTB!

These sparks won't ignite, the one that should have ignited was sacking Tilson, if everyone can get over that, what will it have to be to bring our fan base into complete uproar?

Very true, and something I cannot grasp why it never happened. People wanted blood on the Sunday then by 9.37 on the monday morning angry feelings had been replaced by apathy.

Maybe the underhand way that RM undertook Tilson's removal was designed to minimise risks of such protests and if say he'd done it after the last game of last season then the abuse would have been a lot longer & louder at a time when he could ill afford further complications?

Look Interpol, if that is your real name. ;)
It's bubbling among everybody, not just a few. 99.9% of all of our fans hate Ron but a lot are enjoying going on a Saturday again, which is what it's all about.

UTB!

Its not just the Tilson sacking which is the problem. We had a promiss that our new stadium will be started in the summer. If this stadium does not get built then none of us will be able to watch our team on a Sat. Not to mention the fact that we were close to being wound up not so long ago. What has happened the last year should never be allowed.

I wouldn't say there's an undercurrent bubbling away... I think this ill feeling is perpetuated on here because there are a number of regular posters with the same views. Most supporters I speak too aren't happy about the way Ron has handled the situation, but agree that he's the only show in town and, now that Sturrock's in charge of a settled squad, the best we as supporters can do is continue to support whichever eleven represent the club on a Saturday.

After riding out this storm, the only time I can see a serious challenge to RM's tenure is if nothing comes out of the FF development by March.

Last edited:
Only thing is that could be too late

Too late for Ron, definitely, but I'd be interested to see how Sainsburys reacted. The council would lose too much with the loss of a development of this scale and as has already been said, it wouldn't be in Sainsburys best interests to simply kick us out onto the streets. I'd imagine that Sainsburys are allocating a considerable amount of manpower to get this project off the ground before the planning permission deadline.

...still haven't been paid, how does that make you feel? Would you want to do something about it? What can we as fans do?

I think our fans should put as much pressure on Ron Martin as possible, he has endured an incredibly easy ride from the supporters during the past twelve months.

As fans we could contact bombard Ron Martin via email/letter and request that Steve Tilson is paid the outstanding monies owed to him asap.

I have not attended any matches at Roots Hall this season and I will advise Ron Martin that I will continue to stay away until this situation is resolved.

The fact is Ron Martin is a law unto himself and all he cares about are the pounds in his pocket, and while it's quiet at the moment I don't think Fossets will ever be built. My gut feeling is he will tip the lot up next June, take what he can get for developing Roots Hall and let fossetts disappear. The problem for SUFC is Sainsburys will get Roots Hall because Southend Council need them to move from London Road so that Tesco can develop the old B&Q site, and also to redevelop London Road, and if they have pumped 5m in Sainsbury will have the type of law team at their disposal to turn over any previous agreements regarding fossetts being developed first.

Last edited:
Guys email Ron and express your views.... I did and he took the time to track me down on the SUFC database... called both my mobile and landline and then we proceeded to have a battle via email about wrongs and rights... he assured me that it would be sorted and nobody would lose out financially.... RIGHTO

I have not attended any matches at Roots Hall this season and I will advise Ron Martin that I will continue to stay away until this situation is resolved.

Why have you not attended? Like you, i haven't been to a game yet, and tomorrow will be my first game of the season. Gosh, I never thought I'd get excited about Morecombe at home in September, but still..

Is your non attendence down to the fact that you cannot get to the games for whatever reason, or is it a one man protest? If it is the latter, then how do you expect SUFC to succeed if you are staying away? One person's money is but a drop in bathtub (not quite an ocean) but there seems to be a few people that are staying away. We had massive money problems last year, and now, as a protest, people are staying away. Which in turns means the club has even less money than last year, and yet these people (not necessarily you personally) expect the club to be better off financially. To me, that's the same as mugging someone's wallet in the street and expecting them to carry on shopping.

In fact, it would be better if he had just sacked Tilly rather than placing him on gardening leave as at least then he could move on and seek paid employment elsewhere. Now he's left in limbo without receiving a penny from that **** since April!

It probably hasn't made much difference as sacked managers generally stay out of work until their severence has been resolved. If he'd taken a job elsewhere it would have weakened his claim to have his contract paid up.

Last edited:
Same here... pay Steve who is a frend of mine and then I will return to Roots Hall... made this clear to Ron in my last email chain to him... makes out he is this big family man going to all the games with his son but doesnt pay what is owed to others to support their families....

Back