• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If We Do Not Get Promoted This Coming Season, I Fear The Worst!

CaptainSmudger

The Official Southend United Pilot⭐
As we are in close season, with not a lot happening, I would like your opinions fellow Blues Supporters.
I am really worried for our future if we do not go up next May. Funding etc reducing. Chairman still not interested in selling or gaining major investment. We wIl be going out of business.
Hopefully on the other Hand we get back in EFL and look back on a Dreadful time in our History.

I think being related out of the football league meant it was always going to/will be a struggle to get back .
You only need to look at ex-league clubs in the National league , and I’m sure all their fans feel the same as you.

With a fair wind , and a better regime in the footballing dept, and some astute signings , I’m sure we will be in with a shout of the play offs ( although that is certainly not a gimme even if we make it.

Patience , and luck with injuries, some good loanees, we may just have a better season .

Enjoy the ride ( it’s why you support your team)

Unfortunately it’s something we will never really know the true financial ins and outs of. Of course the longer we stay in the National League the more financial constraints we are going to have.

It’s about getting a good balance, rather than throwing silly money at players to get out of the league (like Wrexham lol) we need to be clever and more shrewd than before. I think with the current team we have in place they aren’t stupid and seem to be trying to sort out the mess and not let us get back into old habits.

Yes the longer we stay in National League the worse it’s going to be but I think we are in a better situation throughout the club staff wise than we were when initially relegated.

If and that’s a big if, the stadium goes through and starts getting built hopefully our financial burdens will decrease.

Only time will tell.

We are building a squad of current and new players to form our squad for next season. Our coaching team of amigos together with Stan and John Still are gathering the players they want to give us a half decent go at doing well this season, but there is absolutely no guarantee that we will produce a side that will get promoted. But I really do think it won't be for lack of trying. As for our future if we don't escape, then we will just have to go again the following season. If the Club hasn't sunk by now then it's not going to at the end of this season, and as always we will find away to carry on.

AS others have said, deep breath and enjoy whatever ride is coming our way this coming season.

We had a full parachute payment last season, and will get 50% of that this season.
Next season nothing.
IIRC it is about 500k so a BIG sum.

We had a full parachute payment last season, and will get 50% of that this season.
Next season nothing.
IIRC it is about 500k so a BIG sum.
No fear. We’ll make it to the FA Cup 3rd round and pull Arsenal, Spurs or Wet Sham, away, which will cover it!

As we are in close season, with not a lot happening, I would like your opinions fellow Blues Supporters.
I am really worried for our future if we do not go up next May. Funding etc reducing. Chairman still not interested in selling or gaining major investment. We wIl be going out of business.
Hopefully on the other Hand we get back in EFL and look back on a Dreadful time in our History.

My opinion is that you have described a false dichotomy.

There is every chance we could rot in this division for the next ten years.

What we need is an cup run, we lacked an cup run since 2013/14! That would help to increase budgets for next two seasons or to pay wages. At the same time, try and finish in top 7!

The majority of ex league clubs have been here for many years and have been fine. There have been the odd few but I think we will be fine even if we are in this division for the next ten years. We will have players we can sell in the squad rather than trying to sell mid 30s injury prone players. We have a better set up now.

It was nearly worse last season where we could have been relegated to the conference south so could be worse

Ever thought that maybe the opposite is happening? After years of just having a laissez-faire attitude to the running of the club, that extra £500k has just been wasted on needless things in the past.

For example, did we REALLY need to sign the likes of the Cox's, Kightly's, Ferdinands of this world when teams such as Accrington applied a sensible model and thrived? We've blown far too much on stupid pipe dreams and are now being forced to live within our means.

With any luck, we will come back a more financially sound club.

Grand scheme of things, this relegation and time in the NL has been better than entering administration and coming out of it having learned nothing. Our hand has been forced to change the mentality and even if we "rot" in the NL for 10 years, so what? We'll have a better footing and will become a better opportunity for an investor compared to a basket case team paying has beens too much to sit watching games injured.

I am sure that all of the fans in this league say once relegated "we must get out of this league ASAP"...........But for most of the clubs it is a case of staying put in the NL" and simply accepting it.

Putting pressure day and night on the manager will not do anybody any good.

I am sure that all of the fans in this league say once relegated "we must get out of this league ASAP"...........But for most of the clubs it is a case of staying put in the NL" and simply accepting it.

Putting pressure day and night on the manager will not do anybody any good.
Nothing wrong with a bit of ambition @BALDY. IF we build a squad capable of challenging then we will be in the mix. The rest is in the hands of the gods but just accepting that we should stay put does not build hope for the fan base. Maybe we will revisit this at the end of the season as it's just guess work on both sides for now.

Getting the wage bill under control will save probably save far more than we'll lose in EFL money. Over the past few seasons we've been paying out crazy money on wages, rumours of 5 or 6 players earning over £4k a week during our last L1 season (that alone is over a million quid in wages we won't be paying now), plus more than a few hangers-on earning very good money for L2 season before last. I would imagine with the changes made over the past 12 months or so we probably now have a first team squad on average wages of around a grand a week, some more some less. With sensible wages, crowds back in stadiums, and with an average home gate of around 6500 sometimes more, I'm sure we'll be ok financially unless Ron goes bust of course.

Nothing wrong with a bit of ambition @BALDY. IF we build a squad capable of challenging then we will be in the mix. The rest is in the hands of the gods but just accepting that we should stay put does not build hope for the fan base. Maybe we will revisit this at the end of the season as it's just guess work on both sides for now.
A bit of ambition is fine (I am all for that).
But some see an average season as Armageddon (is the club in that much of a mess?)

Last edited:
A bit of ambition is fine (I am all for that).
But some see an average season as Armageddon (is the club in that of a mess?)
Any club will have supporters with 'unrealistic' expectations, after being an FL team for so long it's hardly surprising. The best part about ShrimperZone is that we welcome opinion of any sort provided it doesn't break any of our posting rules.

Because we have had multiple seasons of financial struggles there will always be cynical views on the viability of the Club but we still manage to keep going. This season we have been given hope of success, with a strong coaching team and back room support. So bottom line, we don't know what we don't know, but we will know by the end of the season.

Back