• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If We Do Not Get Promoted This Coming Season, I Fear The Worst!

Any club will have supporters with 'unrealistic' expectations, after being an FL team for so long it's hardly surprising. The best part about ShrimperZone is that we welcome opinion of any sort provided it doesn't break any of our posting rules.

Because we have had multiple seasons of financial struggles there will always be cynical views on the viability of the Club but we still manage to keep going. This season we have been given hope of success, with a strong coaching team and back room support. So bottom line, we don't know what we don't know, but we will know by the end of the season.
I personally feel that stability is very important.
Some clubs throw money around but not all----It works for some of course whatever they decide to do.

Some clubs live way beyond their means and pay the price.

I personally feel that stability is very important.
Some clubs throw money around but not all----It works for some of course whatever they decide to do.

Some clubs live way beyond their means and pay the price.
We’ve been there. We went boom & bust trying to get from L1 to the Championship and fell short and we’ve been reeling since. It’s a proud club with a league history and many feel L1 is our natural level. Fair play, we are where we are but we look to be getting our **** together after years of doom & gloom (at least on the football side).

There’s going to be some impatience but we’ve hopefully learnt our lesson and can build up from here on in. Ok we’ve a few fans who think we’re “too good” for the NL but the vast majority know we’ve got to work hard to get back up to the league. There’s very little arrogance going on, it’s mainly hope. Hope is what being a football fan is all about, right?

We’ve been there. We went boom & bust trying to get from L1 to the Championship and fell short and we’ve been reeling since. It’s a proud club with a league history and many feel L1 is our natural level. Fair play, we are where we are but we look to be getting our **** together after years of doom & gloom (at least on the football side).

There’s going to be some impatience but we’ve hopefully learnt our lesson and can build up from here on in. Ok we’ve a few fans who think we’re “too good” for the NL but the vast majority know we’ve got to work hard to get back up to the league. There’s very little arrogance going on, it’s mainly hope. Hope is what being a football fan is all about, right?
Wot he said

We had a full parachute payment last season, and will get 50% of that this season.
Next season nothing.
IIRC it is about 500k so a BIG sum.
I find that very interesting . A National League player on average earns £700 per week or
£36,400 per annum . So, we have needed to lose 14 players just to stand still . It certainly explains why so many players have left and so few players are being signed . Of course that does assume that the chairman is not putting in extra money to cover the shortfall .

As we are in close season, with not a lot happening, I would like your opinions fellow Blues Supporters.
I am really worried for our future if we do not go up next May. Funding etc reducing. Chairman still not interested in selling or gaining major investment. We wIl be going out of business.
Hopefully on the other Hand we get back in EFL and look back on a Dreadful time in our History.

We won't get promoted, but we'll still carry on.

RHB Hope is what being a football fan is all about, right?

I could not agree more.

Or as John Cleese once said during an interview:

"It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand."​

As we are in close season, with not a lot happening, I would like your opinions fellow Blues Supporters.
I am really worried for our future if we do not go up next May. Funding etc reducing. Chairman still not interested in selling or gaining major investment. We wIl be going out of business.
Hopefully on the other Hand we get back in EFL and look back on a Dreadful time in our History.
This aged well

I would have thought that the club going to the wall in the EFL than going down to the NL...would have been dreadful.

The Irony is that we are more likely to achieve success, stability and sustainability in the short term in the NL than in L2. Don't get me wrong, I'm as anxious as the next Blue's fan for us to make a quick return to the EFL. However, this must be tinged with the reality that this is probably the hardest league in the world to get promoted out of. We are one of a growing number of NL clubs, who have a Football League or Premier League pedigree and history. They all have the same desire as us, and I would suggest several of them are currently better positioned than us to get promoted next season. The other reality is that most of the games I've watched have a legitimate EFL feel to them in standard of play, crowd atmosphere and stadiums. More coverage on TV and a feel-good factor when we are winning, playing well and being successful. I'm not sure it makes much difference right now whether we are in L2 or NL. I'm willing to enjoy watching my team play again, not dreading it out of a sense of loyalty. I'll be patient until it's our time. I'm confident it will be sooner or later

Last edited:
What is difficult for some to accept in the NL is that NOT one single club has the devine right to be in the EFL.
Yes we are battling with clubs who have never been a football league club before. But we go around and say we have higher attendance so should be football league. Like someone said we are poorly run compared to a lot of non league sides

Yes we are battling with clubs who have never been a football league club before. But we go around and say we have higher attendance so should be football league. Like someone said we are poorly run compared to a lot of non league sides
It is wonderful that the club has large crowds.
Of course at times large crowds can actually fire up opponents.

For the club to return in (let's say sooner rather than later) stabilty is all important.
I know that is obvious.

Has anybody been to the FSA?

It’s not the end of the world if don’t go up next season as long as we can see a definite improvement on and off the pitch and then I think the real Challenge will come the following season.

Also by that time Ron’s fate would have been sealed to.

Hopefully this has changed and we are being run correctly now, with Ron seemingly handing the reins over to Tom Lawrence etc. COYB,UTB

Hopefully this has changed and we are being run correctly now, with Ron seemingly handing the reins over to Tom Lawrence etc. COYB,UTB
But has he handed over the reins and is it being run correctly, now ? I fear it isn't, if it's true that salaries are not being paid on time

But has he handed over the reins and is it being run correctly, now ? I fear it isn't, if it's true that salaries are not being paid on time
I think what has happened is that the reins have been handed over, but we are reliant on Ron for covering shortfalls in the budget. If it is the case that Ron has recently been unable to come up with the promised funds, then Tom is put in a position where he is ducking and diving trying to satisfy as many people as possible, but of course not everyone.

Back