• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

nonsense, webby is a legend no doubt but I still maintain that tillys style of footy was more pleasing on the eye, and two ldv finals and eight years as a player puts him ahead of webby IMO

It is a matter of opinion, but tilly had eight years as a player and to be honest was lucky to last that long. was never really first choice on a regular basis and to be voted in the best 11 was an absolute joke. the problem is that people too often look at the immediate past, especially the younger fans, and not at all the history thats gone b4 it. this club has been in exsitence for 100 plus years and without history there would be no club. people need to look at the bigger picture and not just go on and on and on about the wonderful tilly. yes we had some great times under him and for that we thank him but people need to move on. two ldv finals that we lost both, a lucky play off victory over lincoln that flavs was our man of the match and one win over man utd does not mae him a complete legend in my eyes. people seem to forget that in the champinoship we went something like 19 games without a win and got relegated, and had similar spells in the seasons that followed. i loved him like many of you but dont put him on a peddistle and forget all rthose that have gone b4 him. and if you wat to talk about football that was pleasing on the eye dont forget barry frys short spell in charge, had the judas not left im convinced we would gone up that season. brilliant team and brilliant footbal, all about attack and goals. UTB

Given the level of involvement of Sainsbury's in the financing why not just have Jamie Oliver in a Southend shirt and have done.

Considering the statues outside football grounds are the likes of Robson, Bremner, Shankly, Matthews etc, do we really have anyone who has had the time at the club / overwhelming success of these absolute legends ?
Webb won 3 promotions (although he was not actually at the Helm for the first having walked out before we went up) and got us to our highest ever position
Tilly won two and got us to LDV finals , but TBH neither are legendary status are they , more like very good ?

The Sid Broomfield stand is, however, a completely different matter

I can only assume that anyone who has suggested tilson for the statue either has no idea of our history or has only supported the club for the past six years....do me a favour, for me david webb deserves it more for his service to the club especially the promotions in the late 80s early 90s, and he didnt get us relegated the following season from div 1!

Totally agree with you here, people who think Tilly is Southend's greatest ever manager are dillusional. I loved watching Dave Webb's team play football, my favourite XI will mostly be made up of players from this era.

I'd like to see a mural painted on the stadium like the at Emirates.

My suggestion would be Southend v Derby from trouble on the terraces.

a lucky play off victory over lincoln that flavs was our man of the match

You must have been at a totally different game to me then.
No way was it lucky, we totally wore them down and went for the kill in ET, Juppy's breakaway goal being a classic example.

nonsense, webby is a legend no doubt but I still maintain that tillys style of footy was more pleasing on the eye, and two ldv finals and eight years as a player puts him ahead of webby IMO

It is a matter of opinion, but tilly had eight years as a player and to be honest was lucky to last that long. was never really first choice on a regular basis and to be voted in the best 11 was an absolute joke. the problem is that people too often look at the immediate past, especially the younger fans, and not at all the history thats gone b4 it. this club has been in exsitence for 100 plus years and without history there would be no club. people need to look at the bigger picture and not just go on and on and on about the wonderful tilly. yes we had some great times under him and for that we thank him but people need to move on. two ldv finals that we lost both, a lucky play off victory over lincoln that flavs was our man of the match and one win over man utd does not mae him a complete legend in my eyes. people seem to forget that in the champinoship we went something like 19 games without a win and got relegated, and had similar spells in the seasons that followed. i loved him like many of you but dont put him on a peddistle and forget all rthose that have gone b4 him. and if you wat to talk about football that was pleasing on the eye dont forget barry frys short spell in charge, had the judas not left im convinced we would gone up that season. brilliant team and brilliant footbal, all about attack and goals. UTB

I agree to a certain extent , but it is not always about achievment! Tilly had remarkablle success given his experience in management and was a very very good player from my memories of him.

Its the essence of the man that makes him great to me . A local lad given the chance to progress in league football. He went on to play countless games for the club over a period of 8 years and was cerimoniesly dumped he then cam back and worked his way to the top spot as manager and had remarkable scuccess and it really miffs me that some pour scourn over his best times as luck and he cannot be blamed for last season at all .

With all of that said though i dont think a statue is deserved by any manager or player.

The only ones worthy of a statue are those who built roots hall and gave it to the football club. So if there is a picture of those men out there including sid broomfield himself then that would be my choice , as without them we propbably wouldnt be having this discussion.

While Tilly is a legend, and will in future I think be THE name associated with our club like Robson, Clough, Bremner etc are, it's too soon right now. For me it would have to be Oliver Trigg.

However when the time does come to immortalize Sir Steve in bronze, I'd like to see him in his championship winning pose, microphone in hand, singing "Are You Watching Colchesta!".

I want people to understand that i am not having a go at Tilly, as previously said we had some great times under him but by the same token we road our luck along the way and at times his selections, tactics and lack of substitutions at crucial times will always be attched to him. i also appreciate that every manager that has been will also suffer the same critcisms at some stage. i just dont think he should be held up to be this god like figure that some on here seem to think he is. the good times i hope will return soon and at some time in the future we will return to the championship, and stay there like we did under Webb etc.

With regard to my comments re the lincoln game, if you watch the match you will find particularly in the first half lincoln battered us and only thanks to some last ditch defending we didnt concede. yes we did in the end of the day win the game partly due to Freddy but under tilson that year and also the league champ season we won a lot of games

I think it should be a statue of Winston Churchill and Ron Martin arm in arm to commemorate the 100th anniversary of VE day and the opening of the stadium at the same time.

I will try and attend, however this would be totally dependant on the retirement age (I will be 73 then) and will probably still be working in order to pay for my retirement at the age of 85 to receive my state pension of £45 a week. (This will buy of a loaf of bread and some Frozen peas to live on)

I want people to understand that i am not having a go at Tilly, as previously said we had some great times under him but by the same token we road our luck along the way and at times his selections, tactics and lack of substitutions at crucial times will always be attched to him. i also appreciate that every manager that has been will also suffer the same critcisms at some stage. i just dont think he should be held up to be this god like figure that some on here seem to think he is. the good times i hope will return soon and at some time in the future we will return to the championship, and stay there like we did under Webb etc.

With regard to my comments re the lincoln game, if you watch the match you will find particularly in the first half lincoln battered us and only thanks to some last ditch defending we didnt concede. yes we did in the end of the day win the game partly due to Freddy but under tilson that year and also the league champ season we won a lot of games

Until someone betters his achievements he is our most successful manager and that is why he is held up like a god like figure.

Back