• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If you are 60 or over, will you still watch the Blues live next season

If you are 60 or over, will you still watch the Blues live next season

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
More or less what it says on the tin. I'm 69 next month and she will smash me in if I say her age, and we have made the decision that we will renew our season tickets for the season and we will attend live games at Roots Hall. Anyone else have an opinion? (that was a stupid this to say on here!). And yeah, this is an unashamed ageist thread.

My problem is I will attend games if everyone sticks to the rules on Covid

Not getting political or the idiots who love a conspiracy theory, but I donot trust the government who give out rules and then change a week later

How can the toilets be ready at Roots Hall, filthy on any match day, even more essential now with Covid, how will stewards stop people from moving from their seat to be nearer a friend, they hardly do anything now to stop this, will tea/coffee bars be open, if so is there enough room to walk by or queue, are the staff going to be trained in the new Covid rules and handling cups/food

How will they supervisor people going in and out the ground, especially those that turn up a match kicks off
So much needs to be prepared, honestly not sure if I will buy a season ticket, maybe will try a game and if not feeling safe or believe people are ignoring the rules because they are immune, then I will skip the season, not going to risk my or families life for a game of football

Last edited:
This is a wide reaching effects. I going to football with my dad, and I have been for the last 30 years. he is 70 and it would feel like a huge betrayal to turn up with him by my side, coupled with the fact that my wife is pregnant that puts her in their high risk group. so it will really make me think hard about if I can go back there at the moment. That said I would bitter pill to lose the season ticket seats that we’ve been in for all them years.

This is a wide reaching effects. I going to football with my dad, and I have been for the last 30 years. he is 70 and it would feel like a huge betrayal to turn up with him by my side, coupled with the fact that my wife is pregnant that puts her in their high risk group. so it will really make me think hard about if I can go back there at the moment. That said I would bitter pill to lose the season ticket seats that we’ve been in for all them years.
Is your dad likely to attend without you?

Is your dad likely to attend without you?

No, I don’t think he will. I think that’s going to be the case for a lot of people that go in groups. Going to watch southend play is not just about football. As lord knows we haven’t seen any of that played at roots Hall for some time. It’s more about the social experience, which I think will be impossible to recreate under present Covid 19 rules.

Leagues one and two are completely under the cosh money wise at the moment, as are a lot of people. I genuinely question if it’s viable to open up for potentially reduce numbers.

It's a no from me. I'm 71, but regardless of age, there are just too many risks involved in gatherings of that sort.

If it was just me, I would be tempted to go. Football in general and Southend in particular has been a large part of my life since going to my first game in 1956. However, I have to consider my friends, family and anyone else that I may come into contact with in the two weeks following a game.

I'm afraid that we have to look at things in a different way now and accept that football is the most important of all the least important things.

Great thread Rhb and will be interesting to see the result of the poll.
I don't vote because I'm a spring chicken?

Reactions: RHB
It's a haven't decided yet from me and things will have to improve a bit more to turn me into a yes but I am hopeful that they will in due course.

I either drive or walk to the ground which I feel is a positive. Assuming we are not allowed back for a few games anyway the ticket would be cheaper so I would then purchase to financially support the club and go as long as I felt safe.

Where I live the social distancing has broken down completely - people are walking in and out of highs street shops and pubs are quickly losing the names and separate tables thing.. Restaurants have made more room between tables but give it a week and it will be business as normal.

I think people are nervous as they re-emerge but that does not last long ..

If the death figures start taking off again people will become more cautious - if not normal will return -

football is high risk with crowd density and singing being a proven transmitter but if the virus is not active in the community no worries.

One thing that should affect behaviour is increased testing ... anecdotally an anti body positive test seems quite common.

I am not 60 yet but have to say not far from it - at the moment I am saying yes I will be and would love to be back in my seat however, I think there needs to be a few changes within the ground that will make people feel a little more secure before they return and I totally understand some people’s reasons for staying away

Where I live the social distancing has broken down completely - people are walking in and out of highs street shops and pubs are quickly losing the names and separate tables thing.. Restaurants have made more room between tables but give it a week and it will be business as normal.

I think people are nervous as they re-emerge but that does not last long ..

If the death figures start taking off again people will become more cautious - if not normal will return -

football is high risk with crowd density and singing being a proven transmitter but if the virus is not active in the community no worries.

One thing that should affect behaviour is increased testing ... anecdotally an anti body positive test seems quite common.
Fair enough and thanks for the view mate. Incidently, are you over sixty, and if yes, are you going?

Unfortunately I’m with harveyoe -
I have watched the Blues since 1959
and would support them come what may BUT
With a wife and a grandchild on the ‘at risk’
list there is no way I could be so self centred.
We have been self isolating since early March and have passed the front gate three time so I don’t think ‘Bye dear just popping to football ‘ will go down well ..........

I think it’s worth speaking to the ticket office manager.
It’s not something I had thought off before but IMO STH”s should be able to “block” their seats for a season so that they can have them back the following season.-
That to me is the right thing to do, it’s not like we have a waiting list.
It would also be an excellent Piece of PR by the club, even if they charged an admin fee.

it’s wrong for someone to potentially loose the seat they have had for the last X years because they are not confident it’s safe to attend

Last edited:
I'll bring my Mum in theory but I imagine we will not go to the bar first and get in early and wait until people have left afterwards - whenever it happens I can't see it being anything other than mandatory that people wear masks or visors so I just hope a few don't spoil it for the others.

It’s a tough one for me ( as with most of us ).
On the one hand I’m really missing going to a live game at Roots Hall ( despite the dire football served up ) , but I still have huge safety concerns.
Nobody ( including the scientific experts ) have much certainty on the future of the virus right now and much depends on the dreaded ‘second spike’.
Certainly as others have mentioned, I’m seeing life get back to some normality ( I’m not saying this is right btw ) and after spending the past few months working from home , I’m now told that my company will probably call us back in September, so for me the dreaded ‘commute’ will begin and this is my biggest concern.
So for me , it’s cross fingers and see how it goes in the next few months before deciding whether it’s worth the risk.
Certainly there is no way our ground can function with the current ‘social distancing’ measures , it’s just not possible.

Although our defence managed it quite well last season and that was before the virus took hold !

I think it’s worth speaking to the ticket office manager.
It’s not something I had thought off before but IMO STH”s should be able to “block” their seats for a season so that they can have them back the following season.-
That too me is the right thing to do, it’s not like we have a waiting list.
It would also be an excellent Piece of PR by the club, even if they charged an admin fee.

it’s wrong for someone to potentially loose the seat they have had for the last X years because they are not confident it’s safe to attend

That's an excellent idea. Although I can see Ron charging the admin fee to hold the seat, then planning permission is granted and Ron gets the ground built in double quick time and we start 21/22 season in the new ground

Unfortunately with regard to covid-19 there is more things to consider than your age. For example if you have Type 2 diabetes you have to add 8 years to your birth age...

Back