• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If you could move abroad for a year or more...

Desert Shrimper

The Oil Baron
Recently I've been thinking more and more about heading off to try my luck abroad for a couple of years or so. It's not that I hate this country or anything but it is too bloody cold and last year's Russian winter was just about the straw that broke the camel's back.

I also think that life is too short not to clock a few air miles along the way. The recent death of a friend has exploded the idea in my head and made me think I need to stop thinking and start doing. If Drewe Broughton can have a career as a professional footballer then anything is possible in life.

Anyway...we've got our first baby coming very soon so it seems like a good time to go before school kicks in...we won't be shifting any kid(s) out of their routine, friends etc. Anyone got any suggestions? I've been offered a job in Sydney in the past so could always dig that one up but recently I've heard some good stuff about Perth. I've also thought about Greece and inevitably Spain just for a more laidback lifestyle and better climate. So....my question is this - if you could go anywhere in the world to live and work for at least a year, maybe more if it worked out, where would you go and why? Anyone with personal experiences of shifting out of Blighty would also be doing me a favour.....

Cheers

TBITPS  

America - Specifically, New York, Washington or LA.
India - Went there a few years back for ten days, been begging the family to go there on holiday ever since.
New Zealand - I'm a fan of Narnia and Lord of the Rings.
Australia - It has good weather all year round.

Went to Barcelona last year, bit dull for my tastes but good weather all the same.

Stay in Southend - why go abroad when you can experience all different cultures on your doorstep.
ghostface.gif

Personally I think I would go to Munich....Not very adventurous I know but still...

Great place, Good nightlife , Nice people, lots to see, central European location, lifestyle similar to ours, better climate slighlty and a cracking education and health system.

Never been to Oz so cant comment, American p1ss me off in a shop in London let alone dealing with them all day and cant see point of moving to somewhere of a less a standard than England which rules out all pretty much all of Africa + Asia

Australia - Perth, gorgeous.
Amritsar in India - Friendliest people I've ever met and the most tranquil - the Golden Temple is amazing.
San Francisco - sod LA, it's a hole. Give me Northern California anytime.

If a cracking job came up in any of Hong Kong, Tokyo, Sydney, Melbourne, New York, Milan or Rio de Janeiro, I'd be very sorely tempted indeed...

smile.gif

Wouldn't want to show off or anything but I'm off for 10 months around the world in February visting Perth and the east coast of Australia, New Zealand, Fuji, Hawaii, LA and San Francisco.
tounge.gif

If any of them float any boats I'll report back
tounge.gif

This is something that has crossed my mind recently as I am a uni student at Portsmouth and next year I have a year in industry to use the skills I have developed at uni, in the workplace. There are a few jobs available in New York and a couple in Germany! I love New York and would love to go back there however as for Germany I really dont think I am good enough with my languages lol! Big Question that you have to ask yourself is; can you live without seeing Southend United for a whole year or more
ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperman @ Dec. 07 2006,17:45)]Wouldn't want to show off or anything but I'm off for 10 months around the world in February visting Perth and the east coast of Australia, New Zealand, Fuji, Hawaii, LA and San Francisco.
tounge.gif

If any of them float any boats I'll report back
tounge.gif
not a real fan
tounge.gif

America! - Florida get a nice little place is kissimee (spelling?) right near Disney. But I would fly back for all the games LOL!

Hmm not many places... but:

South of France, although that will have to wait until I'm much older as its beautiful but not much going on for the young man about town
cool.gif

Similarly Sorrento in Italy, although France would win through

Cape Town - I dont even need to explain why!

Lived in Germany for best part of 7 years. Missed shed loads of football and eventualy (a 6 month stint back in England) the bug bit me hard again and I had to return.

I remember driving from Germany to Southend on a Friday night to watch us play Brum (on the Saturday) after Fry left us for them. Great game great atmos, then return to Germany on the Sunday morning ready for work Monday. Weekends like that take the tole on your mind.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ Dec. 07 2006,18:28)]Hmm not many places... but:

South of France, although that will have to wait until I'm much older as its beautiful but not much going on for the young man about town  
cool.gif

Similarly Sorrento in Italy, although France would win through

Cape Town - I dont even need to explain why!
In fact put Cape Town down as a cert (in maybe 5 years or so)... with Southern France to follow in my dotage

cool.gif

I must say that living and working in Sao Paulo is superb.

For me, it has the best nightlife in the world, great women and some spot on restuarants for everybodys tastes and some great beaches not so far away for the weekends. You can also jump on a plane to the wonderful Rio De Janeiro in 35 minutes of you really fancy a nice bit of scenery
cool.gif

The only places i would consider moving to are,

Buenes Aires, again great nighltife bars and restuarants, especially if you like you steak and wines.

Rio, say no more.

Santiago Chile, like a mini Europe, nice people and some nice places to go nearby.

New York, great vibrant cities with everything to do.

Madrid, cool hip place and not too expensive like most European cities these days. Lovely women there too.

Austrailia for me, always wanted to go there for as long as I can remember. Even applied to a sheep station when I was 16.

One day Thomas, one day.

Back