• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If you had a time machine....

Medway Blue

Living on the Island of Relevancy ⭐
....where would you go?

No, I'm not talking about turning back the clock on your own life, stopping that bird from dumping you, and radically altering the space-time continuum.

I'm talking as a guy who loves his history and has quite a vivid imagination when it comes to picturing places and eras in the past. I read a fair bit of Historical fiction and non-fiction and that is what probably feeds my imagination, but I'm interested to know whether anyone has genuinely thought to themselves "I'd love to go back to this place, or that era, to see what it was like".

So, if you had a time machine and could go to any place or time in history, where would it be and why?

I'd like to hear what Perth Bambi has to say about this.

I would take everyone back to that pub to prove that biffa was lying and I didn't say it :0)

I'd go back to Southend at the end of the 19th century and buy Cricko a pint on his 18th birthday :winking:

Or alternatively it'd be the early 1960s to see the start of The Beatles, The Stones, The Kinks etc.

I'd like to go back to the 20s/30s in Germany,and tell everyone,the freak with the Chaplin tash is a very naughty man.

I'd go back to yesterday at 12:45 when I picked up plain cottage cheese rather than the pineapple one I wanted. Very annoying.

31st May, 1916 off the coast of Denmark. Just to see a line of British warships stretching for several miles, and scaring the bejesus out of the German fleet!

Or alternatively it'd be the early 1960s to see the start of TheBeatles, The Stones, The Kinks etc.

No need.Richie C can tell you all about it.:cricko: He saw The Beatles and The Stones at Southend Odeon back in the day.
(Believe he missed out on The Kinks though.They were great).

Last edited:
I would like to go back to the early seventies and spend a day with my Dad when we were both 21......

Either that or maybe go back to 1939-1945 era and spend a day with my Grandad battling it out for queen and country. I am assuming I cant be killed etc during this time of course.

Miller's Court, London, November 9th 1888 - I just gots to know.

Ripping fun!

I'd go to the Island of Antikythera and search back the timeline until I saw the wreck of the ship carrying the Antikythera Mechanism, and then (assuming my Time Machine capable) follow the journey of the Mechanism back to its source so I could find out who, at least a hundred years before the birth of Christ, designed and made such an astonishing and complex machine.

World's Earliest Known Computer

Ripping fun!

I'd go to the Island of Antikythera and search back the timeline until I saw the wreck of the ship carrying the Antikythera Mechanism, and then (assuming my Time Machine capable) follow the journey of the Mechanism back to its source so I could find out who, at least a hundred years before the birth of Christ, designed and made such an astonishing and complex machine.

World's Earliest Known Computer

Maybe you did, and it fell off your time machine.

Sure we've done something of this type before on here....anyway, provided I'd be immune from beheading or anything, then the court of King Henry VIII

Some good answers so far!

Ancient Greece. I'd love to have a few rounds with those gits back then...

In general I would like to go back to see some ancient civilizations, so Greece, Rome and Egypt appeal to me. Would love to see how "democracy" started and would be interested to see gladiator battles and the ancient olympics too. Also - if Ancient Rome is ANYTHING like as raunchy as it is depicted in "Rome" on TV.......I'm there.

31st May, 1916 off the coast of Denmark. Just to see a line of British warships stretching for several miles, and scaring the bejesus out of the German fleet!

Thjat must have been quite a sight. Battle of the Somme and Flanders too. Would make you proud to be British, how times have changed!

I would like to go back to the early seventies and spend a day with my Dad when we were both 21......

Either that or maybe go back to 1939-1945 era and spend a day with my Grandad battling it out for queen and country. I am assuming I cant be killed etc during this time of course.

I'd like to go back to mid-seventies Leigh-on-Sea to see what being a teenager and young adult was like for my dad.

New York in the roaring 20s

Yes to this! Broadway, music halls, and the bright lights of a city which was years ahead of its time.

Sure we've done something of this type before on here....anyway, provided I'd be immune from beheading or anything, then the court of King Henry VIII

Less so his court, but I'd certainly love to see England and London in Tudor and Stuart times, to travel around on horse and cart, to use turnpikes and early roads, to witness London before the Great Fire of 1666. IN fact, bit of counter-factual history, I'd like to go back to prevent the Great Fire of London from ever happening and see how London would have evolved without the need to start building the city from scratch to the new building regulations brought in afterwards.

Two or three have always stuck out for me. First of all Victorian/Dickensian London. I love reading books set in 19th Century London and the descriptions of it. The cobbled streets, the dim glow of the gas lanterns lighting the streets, fog so thick that you can hear the sound of the horses hooves on the cobbles but can hardly see them. And I'd love to see a London Christmas market in the 19th Century and, believe it or not, I'd like to see the slums in the East End first hand to see just how awful they really were.

I'd like to go back to Colonial America too, when Britain was still in control and only the Eastern seaboard states existed, and see a proper colonial 17th Century township. I'd stay past the end of British rule and be there to see what tensions and Northern/Southern divisions were really like in the run-up to the Civil War. And I'd love to be there as the new Americans moved westwards and opened up the American frontier - always fascinated me.

Lastly, I'd quite like to be in the States in the 50s, the sort of thing you see when Marty McFly goes back to 1955. And then to be there for when the moon landings were on TV, and when JFK was assasinated.

Back