• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How much would you give the club?

• £250k to buy a couple of decent players

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MrB

Life President
Last week's uber lottery jackpot got me thinking, if you won £100m on the lottery how much would you give to the club to spend? This is on the proviso that you have the control over the way that the money is spent whether that is clearance of debts, buidling of stadia or purchasing and payment of players.

I think the nothing answer is a bit loaded. I wouldn't give the club a penny as I'm a greedy sod who would want to keep it all to myself. And who really would want to go public about the win (it would be impossible to hide if you gave the club a sizeable wedge - your identity and address would be on SZ in 5 minutes) :stunned: or become a chairman of a lower league club. I'm not completely mad.

A lottery winning is one thing. I probably would give a nice chunk to the Club (after holding talks with Ron and Sainsburys to find out exactly where we are). If I knew that £5m would cover wages for three years, insulating it during the development phase from the type of cashflow problems it had last season, then I'd definitely give it up. The trouble then though is that there's no incentive for the Club to get it's house in order. Every time it has a problem, every time we need a new player the begging bowl comes out. A club could easily burn through that money in no time.

If I'd earned a fortune though, building up a business over a couple of decades then I'd be very reluctant to put that on the line by getting involved in Southend United.

The interest on £60m would be more than enough to live a comfortable life so, after £20m spent on various property and sorting out the immediate family, I reckon that'd be enough disposable income to get the stadium project up and running. I wouldn't plan on spending any money on player investment, as it's the mid-long term future of the club I'd like to secure and building the stadium seems to be the only way to do that.

First thing I'd do is see how much Ron wants to sod off and then how much for Sainsburys to sod off. After seeing how much it would take to buy out Tilly and Brush's contract at Lincoln, then I'd make a decision on buying the club.

Nothing in hard cash, as if you gave some, they'd always be after you for more, and if i gave enough to have a majority sharehold, i would have to put up with all you moaning sods.

I'd buy out Ronaldo and turn this club into the European giant that it so clearly can be. And when I'm a billionaire I'd buy West Ham and merge them with Orient. East London United, playing in the Blue Square Cement League South with Upton Park turned into a Morrissons.

Where's the option for "Nothing until football gets itself in order"?

Anyone wanting to "invest" in a football club the way the game is currently structured is a rubbish investor. No-one will ever make any money and unless you are prepared to throw millions away then all you get is grief from the supporters.

It's a no win situation all round.

Terry Alderton once said he'd buy SUFC if he won the lottery. All he was waiting for was those 3 lucky numbers...

Napper you're right about the Trust. Exactly what I'd do come to think of it.

But they'd only lend it to Ron... :winking:

On a serious note, I'd also support the trust, but with the majority of it going on their outreach and youth development programmes. Premier League clubs have made a fortune tapping Essex for talent, it's about time we did the same.

If Rons in charge...nothing

If i could buy the club then at least £90M

But they'd only lend it to Ron... :winking:

On a serious note, I'd also support the trust, but with the majority of it going on their outreach and youth development programmes. Premier League clubs have made a fortune tapping Essex for talent, it's about time we did the same.

Nice one.:smile: I wasn't able to rep you BTW

First thing I'd do is see how much Ron wants to sod off and then how much for Sainsburys to sod off. After seeing how much it would take to buy out Tilly and Brush's contract at Lincoln, then I'd make a decision on buying the club.

If I then was able to buy the club, I would make plans to increase capacity at Roots Hall and then donate the whole shebang to the Shrimpers Trust.

Sorry got carried away. You don't honestly think I'd give the club any money whilst Ron is in charge do you?

If I did the lottery I'd give some of it to charity where the money might actually get spent sensibly

Back