• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Watching via iFollow for the first time. I had hoped they'd run the BBC Essex audio commentary along side the video, but doesn't seem to be that way.

Anybody found a way to get BBC Essex audio while watching (from overseas)?

I've opened up another tab on my browser and activated the commentary. Took a couple of attempts to sync the sound and pictures together but all sorted now. :happy:

I don't want to comment on the match (I might swear a lot). Is anyone else having big problems with the live stream ? Mine stutters and freezes all the time. Although I'm watching from Holland using wifi but I've tested my download speed many times and it's consistantly 16-21 mbps. I switched from chrome browser to firefox and this was better but a long way from perfect. Any suggestions ?

I don't want to comment on the match (I might swear a lot). Is anyone else having big problems with the live stream ? Mine stutters and freezes all the time. Although I'm watching from Holland using wifi but I've tested my download speed many times and it's consistantly 16-21 mbps. I switched from chrome browser to firefox and this was better but a long way from perfect. Any suggestions ?

Same issues for me today, albeit I using a VPN (IPVanish).

Could those who got good quality streams let us know which VPN you use?

I signed up for the free Tunnelbear to give this a go and found that my stream kept going after my free 1.5GB (extra 1GB for tweeting for them) ran out and I turned the firewall off.

I think they have the MAC address embedded in the stream so as to catch any streaming, I had what looked like MAC address show up, so keep that in mind for any torrent or Facebook streaming

Same problems watching in Latvia, stop, start, slow down, freeze, speed up. Tried Chrome and Firefox both almost unwatchable. Beginning to regret what seemed like a reasonable investment. Even if it was working at normal speed, the experience would still not be very good. Didn't see the subbing of McGlashan nor Cox as the camera was elsewhere at the time. Coupled with a performance of stunning ineptitude by the Blues, I regret two hours wasted when I could have been watching Chelsea v Burnley on the local sports channel.

Once again I must be getting lucky with the quality and consistency of the streams I've had so far.

Or unlucky in the case of having a clear view of what happened this morning (my time) maybe?

I was using a tunnel Bear Dutch VPN and Firefox. Had a decent picture quality, a little jittery at times but mostly ok.

Is anyone a techie on here ?
The ifollow requirements for a netbook are 1gb ram and an Intel Atom 1.6GHz processor. If you have a download speed of 5mbps or better you should be able to stream in HD quality.
The specs for my notebook are 2gb ram, of which I usually seem to have aroung 900 mb avaliable, and an Intel Atom processor if 1.46GHz. However, they also say the ram is 4gb max and the processor will boost to 2.39GHz ? My wifi download speeds are always between 16 and 21 mbps. My processor is quad core which I believe is good.
Maybe this is not good enough for HD but surely I should not be getting non-stop stuttering and freezing.
I have invested in a chromecast and, using the ifollow Southend app I can cast to my 27in monitor from my smartphone. I've tried it out with the Rotherham highlights video and it's fine. I will try it Saturday for the live stream and see what happens.
I also wanted to try pasting the url into VLC player and watching the stream that way as VLC dowlnoads the stream in chunks which may avoid the problems. Unfortunately, ifollow on Southend's site does not show the full url so I can't try this.
Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated

No problems (so far) watching the games in Spain or France.Not using a VPN but paying for the service (excellent value for money at 130 euros for all league games) on Chrome.

Even tuned into Fulham's away game at Leeds last night.Reception was excellent for that too.

One remark about the Fulham game.The commentators clearly had access to a video moniter (even referred to a replay at one point).Don't think the BBC Essex team do.:sad:

The ifollow requirements for a netbook are 1gb ram and an Intel Atom 1.6GHz processor. If you have a download speed of 5mbps or better you should be able to stream in HD quality.
The specs for my notebook are 2gb ram, of which I usually seem to have aroung 900 mb avaliable, and an Intel Atom processor if 1.46GHz. However, they also say the ram is 4gb max and the processor will boost to 2.39GHz ? My wifi download speeds are always between 16 and 21 mbps. My processor is quad core which I believe is good.
Maybe this is not good enough for HD but surely I should not be getting non-stop stuttering and freezing.
I have invested in a chromecast and, using the ifollow Southend app I can cast to my 27in monitor from my smartphone. I've tried it out with the Rotherham highlights video and it's fine. I will try it Saturday for the live stream and see what happens.
I also wanted to try pasting the url into VLC player and watching the stream that way as VLC dowlnoads the stream in chunks which may avoid the problems. Unfortunately, ifollow on Southend's site does not show the full url so I can't try this.

The speed of your download is less relevant than the reliability.

IF you can download 5mb thats great, but if you get a few seconds every now and again where it drops off your stream will suffer.

So what you need to check is that you connection is not only quick enough, but stable too. Wifi will obviously reduce the reliability.

If you open a command prompt and run a continuous ping to 8.8.8.8 and see if the replies are constant and the response time is good .

So type:
ping 8.8.8.8 -t
press return and you should see this:
ping.JPG

You want the time=xxms to be as low as possible, under 50 for example, and you dont want to see and time outs.

You can see in mine its constant between 16 and 20ms which is nice and solid. If I were to download a big file that would jump up to 300+ and would cause any streaming to be affected.

No problems (so far) watching the games in Spain or France.Not using a VPN but paying for the service (excellent value for money at 130 euros for all league games) on Chrome.

Even tuned into Fulham's away game at Leeds last night.Reception was excellent for that too.

One remark about the Fulham game.The commentators clearly had access to a video moniter (even referred to a replay at one point).Don't think the BBC Essex team do.:sad:

So do you get access to all games then not just Southend? Thats very good value if so.

PS - I've just streamed the Rotherham highlights using my notebook whilst monitoring the cpu and memory. The cpu was boosting to 2.25GHz and the ram usage seemed to be up about 500mb leaving 450 available. I know the live stream will use more resources than the highlights but I'm becoming more and more puzzled why I'm having these problems with the live stream

IF you can download 5mb thats great, but if you get a few seconds every now and again where it drops off your stream will suffer.

So what you need to check is that you connection is not only quick enough, but stable too. Wifi will obviously reduce the reliability.

If you open a command prompt and run a continuous ping to 8.8.8.8 and see if the replies are constant and the response time is good .

So type:
ping 8.8.8.8 -t
View attachment 4879

You want the time=xxms to be as low as possible, under 50 for example, and you dont want to see and time outs.

You can see in mine its constant between 16 and 20ms which is nice and solid. If I were to download a big file that would jump up to 300+ and would cause any streaming to be affected.
I'll check it out thanks.
I do have speedtest installed and have checked several times during live streams. The ping always is around 12 and my downlaod speed comes down a little to between 13 and 19 mbps

So type:
ping 8.8.8.8 -t
View attachment 4879

Ok, I've run it in the command prompt and, yes, the ping does fluctuate. It went as high as 57 once and slightly lower a few times. Mostlly it was between 15 and 35

Has anyone tried watching using an android box for the TV?(Some call them kodi box). Through the browser tab, using a VPN, and maybe VLC to reduce buffering and freezing.

Back