• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Im done with this shower of.......

Also there seems to be a perpetuating rumour that Sam Mantom is a shirker? At the moment it's just that - a rumour. Our last three managers have made him captain at different points in time, so I don't think we can infer that he's workshy or isn't professional.

When I've watched him play over the past few seasons he looks to work hard, but he's regressed as a player and clearly lacks confidence. Hopefully he'll come back into the team somewhere near his best because he is a decent player who will provide something we're missing in the middle - some box to box energy and the ability to pop up in attacking positions.

Also there seems to be a perpetuating rumour that Sam Mantom is a shirker? At the moment it's just that - a rumour. Our last three managers have made him captain at different points in time, so I don't think we can infer that he's workshy or isn't professional.

When I've watched him play over the past few seasons he looks to work hard, but he's regressed as a player and clearly lacks confidence. Hopefully he'll come back into the team somewhere near his best because he is a decent player who will provide something we're missing in the middle - some box to box energy and the ability to pop up in attacking positions.

A rumour confirmed by former players and mangers of Southend

I actually think that after a home game is a perfect time for a small training session with the subs and the players returning from injury. Here's why:

- Training is lighter on Friday going into a game
- Players don't train on a Sunday/is a day off

So you basically end up having 2/3 days off which isn't ideal if you're trying to get these players back and up to match fitness as quickly as possible. Also:

- The fitness and coaching staff are at the game
- The players are expected to attend the game

So they're already in place to do some training work. The subs do typically have a warm-down after the game. So it seems to me to make a lot of sense. I don't know if other managers typically do it, I'm not really that fussed, and I think you're reading a bit too much into it. From the photos and what Chris Phillips reported, it didn't seem like a large high-intensity training session, probably just an opportunity for the players to stick some boots on, and get some ball work done on a decent pitch.

I’ll prefix this by saying that I’m no physio, but I’d have thought that getting an injured player to sit in a freezing cold stand for most of the afternoon, then ask them to start training on a pitch that has been in use for the past 3 hours or so, would be counterproductive to that persons rehabilitation.

And that is especially heightened, when you take into consideration that the rehab course still has an expectancy of 2-3 weeks, left.

The risk of prolonging the injury - or even developing new ones - due to these two factors would be far greater than your everyday rehabilitation session at B&L.

And I’m not trying to be intentionally confrontational here, but for all you’ve said - which is fair & reasoned to a point - it’s only relevant if indeed the players are injured.

If, IF, they’re shirking it, then this action from Sol, begins to look more like a punishment, than any kind of rehabilitation.

And before we start poo-pooing the notion of two players shirking it, just remember that there have been various, strong rumours involving the current playing staff not wanting to train, being unfit & declaring themselves injured at the drop of a hat.

Sol himself knows that most of these players need hooking, and even went on to say that there are some who aren’t playing for various reasons.

You’re right, I may well be looking into it too much, and adding 2+2 and getting 5. It’s a possibility, no doubt.

But what I can add up for sure, is the amount of points we’ve got to our name. Along with the amount of goals we’ve conceded & the number of managers that this current squad have seen off. That all equals something drastically wrong.

It paints a very grim picture, which expands far greater than just poor, underperforming players.

A rumour confirmed by former players and mangers of Southend
I agree Rigsby...Watched him at Walsall quite a bit when he was there and he was a key player in a young expressive passing team...albeit a team that was full of confidence which may be the difference

I’ll prefix this by saying that I’m no physio, but I’d have thought that getting an injured player to sit in a freezing cold stand for most of the afternoon, then ask them to start training on a pitch that has been in use for the past 3 hours or so, would be counterproductive to that persons rehabilitation.

And that is especially heightened, when you take into consideration that the rehab course still has an expectancy of 2-3 weeks, left.

The risk of prolonging the injury - or even developing new ones - due to these two factors would be far greater than your everyday rehabilitation session at B&L.

And I’m not trying to be intentionally confrontational here, but for all you’ve said - which is fair & reasoned to a point - it’s only relevant if indeed the players are injured.

If, IF, they’re shirking it, then this action from Sol, begins to look more like a punishment, than any kind of rehabilitation.

And before we start poo-pooing the notion of two players shirking it, just remember that there have been various, strong rumours involving the current playing staff not wanting to train, being unfit & declaring themselves injured at the drop of a hat.

Sol himself knows that most of these players need hooking, and even went on to say that there are some who aren’t playing for various reasons.

You’re right, I may well be looking into it too much, and adding 2+2 and getting 5. It’s a possibility, no doubt.

But what I can add up for sure, is the amount of points we’ve got to our name. Along with the amount of goals we’ve conceded & the number of managers that this current squad have seen off. That all equals something drastically wrong.

It paints a very grim picture, which expands far greater than just poor, underperforming players.

Or it could just be the most convenient time to run the session as the staff are at the match and the recovering players need to get the fitness work in.

From the comments midweek it sounds as if they are fit enough to train but not yet match fit. These are the conditions they'll be playing in when they return in 2-3 weeks' time and they'll need to get use to, but I appreciate that doesn't sate people's desire for blood.

Does anybody know whether Boots and Laces is actually a better surface than Roots Hall at the moment?

I agree Rigsby...Watched him at Walsall quite a bit when he was there and he was a key player in a young expressive passing team...albeit a team that was full of confidence which may be the difference

Additionally....I believe its one of campbells and the beasts 'things' that those not playing, including subs that go on later in the game must train after the game.
Through the week it appears players not in Campbells thoughts for the starting eleven are treated differently

Onions are being readily supplied by all snack bars. Sol was all over that. They are NOT being served to anyone wearing an SUFC tracksuit.

For those asking "Does the new management" know what they are doing with regards to fitness. Being Colbert is in there I would say Errrr yeah.

20 years at The Gooners under Wenger I reckon he might know a thing or two

Or it could just be the most convenient time to run the session as the staff are at the match and the recovering players need to get the fitness work in

Ok, I’ll ask again: Is it right for a player suffering with muscle injuries, to sit in the cold for several hours, and then train - even lightly - on a pitch that has been in use for the past 3 hours?

Again, I’m not a physio, I’m asking a genuine question

Ok, I’ll ask again: Is it right for a player suffering with muscle injuries, to sit in the cold for several hours, and then train - even lightly - on a pitch that has been in use for the past 3 hours?

You may well be right with what you say. Maybe Sol has realised whats happened in the past and said rather than be allowed to stay at home on a Saturday. You will now turn up and do a bit.......A kind of get back to work incentive for shirkers.

I'm not a physio either, but I don't see why not provided they gradually stretch and warm up first - like an 89th minute sub would.

I suspect your 3 hours in the cold is a bit of an exaggeration as well. Do the players actually stay in the directors box at half-time or duck into the warm?

I'm not a physio either, but I don't see why not provided they gradually stretch and warm up first - like an 89th minute sub would.

I suspect your 3 hours in the cold is a bit of an exaggeration as well. Do the players actually stay in the directors box at half-time or duck into the warm?

They nip into the captains bar for a quick one and a sing along with Harry Lennon

Eh? I never said the players would sit for 3 hours in the cold? I said the pitch had been in use for the best part of 3 hours. I was alluding to it being cut up & match-worn.

And sure, A brief 15-minute spell in the warm is all well and good, but I’ve left Roots Hall many a time, where the cold has set into my bones. Never once has popping inside in the warm for 15 minutes made it any easier.

We live in West Wales so it's a fair old trip , we can't afford it every week but it would be nice to get a little back from the players and management , something's just not right from top to bottom and it may take a relegation to figure out exactly where Southend Utd stand as a professional football club .

There has been a systematic abandonment of player development and investment in anything regarding the club itself , if Southend were a dog it would have been put down already .

Change is needed along with a clear plan for investment , if that comes from a outside source then so be it , i could cope with the club being renamed as RB Southend Utd if it means a cash injection and a pledge of endorsement for a prolonged period of time , i hear that Red Bull are in the market for a club in England to sponsor , we certainly need something to give us wings , or wing backs would do .

It feels to me the club is slowly dying and those in charge are sitting round the bed just watching .

Our last game we attended was the EFL Trophy match v Brighton and a bunch of kids completely outplayed a supposedly strong side bar one or two , chatting to a few Brighton fans on the station after the game i was amazed at just how close they were to going under , when you look at them now i'm completely envious .

Sounds daft but they've been there and got the T shirt and come out the other side , yep they got lucky with investment from a supporter to the tune of around £300 million interest free loan with no time limit on payback , but look how he spent that money , a new stadium , a new state of the art academy , they have 12 players out on loan from that academy at various league levels and have now 2 playing regular first team Premiere League football from the set up , absolutely priceless to have a strong group of youngsters who break though the ranks into the first team .

We must get investors interested in this club before it's to late , in our case i really do think it is all about the money , and boy do we need some .

I won't stop going when i can even if we're relegated twice in succession , but i understand fans frustration and couldn't argue with anyone's decision to stay away at the moment .

We live in West Wales so it's a fair old trip , we can't afford it every week
[/QUOTE

Top marks for even bothering at all, with that journey. Only consolation for you, is that next season when we play at Newport, you'll be home for a late tea!.

Sadly it’s easy to get out of the fourth division in the direction we are going.

Just ask previously well established League sides like Lincoln, Shrewsbury, Carlisle, Luton, Bristol Rovers, Leyton Orient, Notts County, Stockport, Halifax, York, Doncaster, Col U, Torquay, Exeter, Wrexham, Newport, Tranmere, Mansfield, Hartlepool, Darlington, Grimsby, Chesterfield and Aldershot just for starters.

If that list isn't enough, try the Johnny come latelys like Yeovil, Scarborough, Dagenham, Barnet, Rushden, Cheltenham, Maidstone, Hereford, Cambridge and Oxford themselves.

I saw a number of National League games last season and, make no mistake, we would be heading for the National League South as proved by our pitiful ‘performance’ against Dover. By that time I guess we would have gone bust and disappeared altogether.

With over 30 clubs on that list, it just goes to show we haven't done to bad under Ron.

I would rather enjoy National League South.....More fun than a league cup game at FF with 18,000 empty seats.

Back