• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm glad Barrett didn't get the job.

Adam Barrett was there tonight, watching from the posh seats.

Doing his homework, maybe....

:Whistling:

Who genuinely thinks Sol will be here next season. We have 12 games left and I can’t see us winning many of them, so he will finish the season as easiest our worst manager on record.

Granted he has been dealt an awful hand....but he didn’t provide the injection in November I expected and his tactics, selections have been questionable to say the least.

If we have no transfer embargo in place in the summer and some limited funds to get some senior players in....then I would love AB to be in charge rather than Sol come next season. I would have more confidence in our survival chances.

Just can’t see how Sol can turn this around now,

Plenty of legends have returned to be great managers, especially those with the managerial attributes as AB

That said if Ron hasn’t the funds don’t want him anywhere near our slide to non league!

Why would anyone want Barrett to come in now or in the summer? Not many senior players will be left and it will require nearly a whole new squad to be assembled. Barrett neither has the experience or contacts to be able to build a whole new squad of players for League 2. If we had a half decent squad of players that just needed a kick up the arse I could understand why people think Barrett would be the answer, but that isn’t the situation we’re in.

I’m almost certain that Barrett will manage us at some point in the future. But for both his and our sake let’s make sure it’s not now. The right time will come but it isn’t now or in the summer.

Why would anyone want Barrett to come in now or in the summer? Not many senior players will be left and it will require nearly a whole new squad to be assembled. Barrett neither has the experience or contacts to be able to build a whole new squad of players for League 2. If we had a half decent squad of players that just needed a kick up the arse I could understand why people think Barrett would be the answer, but that isn’t the situation we’re in.

I’m almost certain that Barrett will manage us at some point in the future. But for both his and our sake let’s make sure it’s not now. The right time will come but it isn’t now or in the summer.

Best to wait till we’re in the Essex Senior League?

The reason we are this present situation is down to numerous wrong decisions been taken One of them was NOT to appoint Barrett when we should have.

Ron wants him.

AB wants it.

Whether it’s the right time or not, I have a feeling we’ll be seeing AB&T sooner rather than later

The summer will not save us either. The EFL will be keeping a beady eye on us so assuming we are allowed to sign anyone at all, we won't be allowed to pay them competitive wages, and as Ron presumably will once again be in charge of recruiting, we'll end up with the dross nobody else wants.

It's bizarre to me that people are calling Sol tactically inept when the vast majority of the team are young players, a lot of which had never played a match of senior football until this season.

The fact that the teams we've put out recently have even been remotely competitive is testament to the solid structure and system that Sol has put together. Not to mention how difficult it is to even have any structure at all with a team that seems to lose players on a weekly basis and is full of kids.

There's a lot more to tactics than playing 2 up top and 'going for it' and in my opinion at least Sol has been doing a decent job in pretty much unworkable circumstances.

There's only one person you can really be asking questions of right now and it's not Sol Campbell.

Last edited:
It's bizarre to me that people are calling Sol tactically inept when the vast majority of the team are young players, a lot of which had never played a match of senior football until this season.

The fact that the teams we've put out recently have even been remotely competitive is testament to the solid structure and system that Sol has put together. Not to mention how difficult it is to even have any structure at all with a team that seems to lose players on a weekly basis and is full of kids.

There's a lot more to tactics than playing 2 up top and 'going for it' and in my opinion at least Sol has been doing a decent job in pretty much unworkable circumstances.

some people have an issue ..

Ron (as **** as he's been this season) needs to think long and hard during the off season this year. If he has any doubt in Sol then a change needs to be made (if it can be) at the season's end. If not, then he has to be backed and given time. We cannot have another start to the season like this one, full of inconsistency and different approaches.

We can only judge Sol when he can actually field a team of players that he has been able to bring in, mixed with some youngsters and some senior players left from this season. At the moment he hasn’t got a chance. We need some consistency at the club and that means we give the management team a chance to start next season.

If they cannot bring recruits in during the summer then I expect Sol will walk and who could blame him?

I will renew my ST in the vain hope that we do have a team to support next year and one that can actually compete each week. I don’t care if we aren’t pushing for the autos or the play-offs I just want to see an honest group of players trying to win every game. Mid-table is fine for me but if the summer transfer window is as bad as January then God help us!

There's only one person you can really be asking questions of right now and it's not Sol Campbell.

Football fans are obsessed with formations. In reality, you can have an extremely attacking 4-5-1, it just depends on the personnel and the fluidity within the system. That's why managers talk about systems and not formations, which is a term from the 20th century.

Sol has set his teams up as being organised first and foremost, because apparently, we've been shipping goals somewhat this season. We're shipping less now but having had our two main strikers sold/given away under his nose in January (and a third out through injury) unsurprisingly we are struggling to make inroads going forward.

Back