• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If there were any doubters even after what he achieved last season,perhaps they will now realise how very lucky we are to have Paul Sturrock as our manager

I echo your comments. Knowing his pedigree and past record, I was surprised he came to Southend considering what a shambles the team was in. Maybe other teams would not take a risk on him due to his illness.

I was over this summer and went up to Scotland to watch the games. I was impressed with the quality of some of the players. However, our speed of play in the final third and combination play needed to be faster. We were a better team than Dundee. However, they kept the ball more and got people behind the ball quickly. As well as taking their 2 chances (although the first goal was offside).

Neil Harris will do well with the right service. His experience shines through. I think the only thing to keep in mind would be that this is one of the strongest 4th Divisions ever.
However, I'm very confident that we can make an impact.

Come on you Shrimpers !

I bet on BetFred

£10 outright at 25/1
and
£10 at 7/1 on promotion

Neil Harris will get an hatful next season

ONE TEAM IN ESSEX
SOUTHEND UNITED FC:thumbsup:

I'm not sure if this has been picked up already, so apologies if im repeating but i saw this preview

http://aloadofcobblers2012.wordpress.com/2011/07/30/league-two-preview-201112-southend-united/?

i
nteresting to see our strength last season was ball retention, and with the players we have brought in looks like we could improve on this

Seems like a decent review and they have overlooked the fact that this time last season, we were worried about not being able to field and team and that the first few months of last season was spent gelling the team together and injures really hurt us in the last couple of months.

If we can keep our main players injury free and playing to their potential, then we could make a real push this season, but it is easier said than done.

Is there such a thing as a big game in league 2? That said roots hall current capacity attendance record was set in league two against yeovil with 11,700 piling in. Bizzarre that we have welcomed both man utd and chelsea and neither of those yielded a bigger gate.

I reckon around 6500 for the opener with an average of 6500-7500 as we close in on promotion

It would be great to get back to regular 8k+ but it will take time.

I suspect that is due to segregation issues etc. I guess the higher percentage of home fans in the crowd, the more you can actually squeeze in

Yeovils fans were not exactly known forCausing any trouble whereas chelsea and man uHad to be segregated. Only 1 row seats seperated the yeovil usBut you would know this?? If you had been there v yeovil. Or did most of u on hereOnly suppirt the shrimpers after the sucess of tilly

Is there such a thing as a big game in league 2? That said roots hall current capacity attendance record was set in league two against yeovil with 11,700 piling in. Bizzarre that we have welcomed both man utd and chelsea and neither of those yielded a bigger gate.

I reckon around 6500 for the opener with an average of 6500-7500 as we close in on promotion

It would be great to get back to regular 8k+ but it will take time.

It's because there was very little segregation for the Yeovil game - almost half the North Bank was allocated to home fans with just a small piece of meshing segregating the two sets of fans.

If my source is correct then we should be seeing a good crowd at the Hereford game, the West stand is nearly sold out apparently. Can't confirm it of course, but if it is then that's a good signing of the optimism surrounding the place.

Strange as the East Stand is usually always the first stand to sell out at Roots Hall and according to the online ticket thing I can buy quite a few tickets together in the East Greens for the Hereford game. Plenty of tickets in the West Stand as well. I think a crowd of just over the 5,000 mark is more likely for the Hereford game.

Just following on from my original post , I had the feeling back then that Sturrock was slowly and quietly building a decent set of players , the one thing that I think shines through is the hunger and the passion of the players to suceed and their desire to win this league . He has also got a good few fighters in the team like Moshini , Phillips , Grant who won;t get roughed up and go hiding when the going gets tough.

Add to that Sturrocks experience I would be surprised if he lets this great start slip and I also thought he's comments about how we react we we inevatabliy lose a game was spot on and I think he has a bit about him to keep the likes of Hall and Ferdinand until at least the summer .

Just following on from my original post , I had the feeling back then that Sturrock was slowly and quietly building a decent set of players , the one thing that I think shines through is the hunger and the passion of the players to suceed and their desire to win this league . He has also got a good few fighters in the team like Moshini , Phillips , Grant who won;t get roughed up and go hiding when the going gets tough.

Add to that Sturrocks experience I would be surprised if he lets this great start slip and I also thought he's comments about how we react we we inevatabliy lose a game was spot on and I think he has a bit about him to keep the likes of Hall and Ferdinand until at least the summer.

Correction: I was right and I bloody told you so!!

You were right sir and long may you continue to be!! :smile:

Back