• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell. Are you?

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell are you?

• Total voters
I'm losing faith in making the play offs this season , but not in Chris Powell. We're having a bad run of form, it happens to everyone really, guess ours is just happening at the start of the season unfortunately. Still far too early to be calling for the chopping block. CP also still has to rely on some PB driftwood for the time being, having only had one transfer window to sort things out, funds limiting of course, as well as the injuries, suspensions, all of that. Hoping for a turn around sooner rather than later , but Christmas time will be the time to properly consider our opinions on CP's position.

He hasn’t yet done anything to give me faith. A previously decent player doesn’t give me faith in his managerial skills.

New manager bounce followed by serving up absolute dross mixed in with horrific lack of tactical evidential knowledge

I never really rated him in the first place ,but we do have a few injuries and suspension s can’t really judge until he gets to pick his full strength side .
Some of the tactics has been strange as well.

Only September so no. Come October then questions should be asked.

He will know he has to turn it out around and very soon.

Voted no, too early to lose faith. However I think he needs to rethink his starting 11, tactics, and use subs earlier and more effectively. I hope he reacts after 3 defeats rather than sticking his head in the sand. Time will tell I guess.

Voted no, too early to lose faith. However I think he needs to rethink his starting 11, tactics, and use subs earlier and more effectively. I hope he reacts after 3 defeats rather than sticking his head in the sand. Time will tell I guess.

So just needs to rethink his whole job then?

Powell's put together a squad that has 442 written all over it. Little scope for a change in terms of system, IMO, due to the midfield we have. There's nothing wrong with 442 but the way we play all seems a little predictable and easy to play against. Said a few weeks ago, CP needs to offer something different somehow with what he has at his disposal.
Am I losing faith in him? No. However, I expect more from CP and the players to get us going.

I had (unrealistic) hopes of us putting together a push towards the playoffs this season, that right now certainly isn't going to happen. I still believe Chris Powell is the right manager for us right now but things certainly need to change like for his example his use of substitutions, his stubbornness when it comes to dropping players in poor form. I am willing to give Chris a few more weeks yet before starting to really question whether we need to make a change but my hope is when we start getting players back fit and in form we will be a decent mid table side again.

I had (unrealistic) hopes of us putting together a push towards the playoffs this season, that right now certainly isn't going to happen. I still believe Chris Powell is the right manager for us right now but things certainly need to change like for his example his use of substitutions, his stubbornness when it comes to dropping players in poor form. I am willing to give Chris a few more weeks yet before starting to really question whether we need to make a change but my hope is when we start getting players back fit and in form we will be a decent mid table side again.
Ron doesn’t want a mid table side does he.

Not at all happy with this start but the good thing is it’s still only mid September. Come mid November mind and still struggling then my patience might be tested a bit more. This is very much last chance saloon for the manager as well - hadn’t been in management for a while before Ron came calling. If he fails here he could find it tough coming back.

If he doesn’t start McCoulsky in the next game then faith will well and truly be lost.

Based on the games I have been to this season, no.

I was pretty optimistic at the start of this season due to some impressive CP signings (Hopper, Mantom, Dieng, Hyam, and Lennon) however we have been really unlucky with both injuries and some of our results have not reflected our good performances (Charlton, Peterborough etc.)

Main issues are;

CP doesn’t know his best staring X1 due to current injuries / suspensions, plus we are not ruthless enough, given example is the Peterborough and Doncaster games; we were by far the better footballing sides in both games, but we were bullied throughout and eventually lost. The other gripe is CP’s misguided loyalty towards Robinson, who got 30 mins again over late sub McClousky., why does he persist with Theo? Same could be said for McLaughlin...

Hoping Dru will be back soon, who will give us more bite (even at 17!),

Cannot see us make the playoffs this season, but I also don’t think we’ll be fighting relegation either.

In CP we trust! (For now...)

I will make a prediction. When Dru comes back, our striker who is playing as a midfielder will be dropped. We just might then have the best midfield in the division in Dieng, Yearwood and Mantom. McCoulsky will get his start soon and will score goals and show how much of a better striker he is than Theo or Cox. He will then keep starting along with Hopper up front, instead of this silly one up front thing that we can't win with. Taylor-Moore will keep starting ahead of Turner which will add that much needed pace at the back. Lennon will come back in the centre of defence, and White will be pushed out to his favourite right back position. The right back position is a big problem defensively at the moment. We will then start climbing the League.

No, I am not losing faith in CP, any manager needs to be given eighteen months before a real assessment can be made. The margins between success and failure are so tight. Chris was hoping to sign centre back Bradley from Plymouth but he opted to go to Luton, a big tall player who might well have been a great help in solving our problem defending set pieces. It We have also been unlucky with injuries, all these things add up. On the downside with CP he seems to like playing with two wide men which can sometimes be a bit of a luxury and often leaves big spaces in the centre of the park, maybe a more narrow system may be better. There is a lot of work to be done but as long as there is togetherness in the squad and coaching staff then surely things will improve.

Back