• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell. Are you?

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell are you?

• Total voters
I imagine our next manager will be Adam Barrett, even on a Tilly type temporary deal that could become permanent, especially in Ron pushes the button on CP's tenure.

I imagine our next manager will be Adam Barrett, even on a Tilly type temporary deal that could become permanent, especially in Ron pushes the button on CP's tenure.

Surely the real King would be offered the role first in King Kevin Maher

Still have my No 8 mug Southend Utd Kevin Maher when he played so wouldn't need to buy one, surprisingly in good shape after so many years gone by and tea drank from it

Still have my No 8 mug Southend Utd Kevin Maher when he played so wouldn't need to buy one, surprisingly in good shape after so many years gone by and tea drank from it

Yes, good shout. Maher & Barrett dream duo. UEFA league 2 here we come :Smile:

was I the only person that didnt rate him as a player?

Not even close - but I wasn’t happy when Cox got subbed but nowhere near losing faith. How can you even discuss losing faith after the amount of injuries we’ve had. Would another manager mean the players wouldn’t pick up the injuries we’ve had? No.

Me, I am still 100% committed and behind Chris Powell.

Last 10 games read; W 4 D 1 L 5.

Get real, it ain't that bad. We fought a good battle against Sunderland and Barnsley in the league, and despite being poor in the cup at the weekend we would have got a draw if it wasn't for another hapless lino.

Given that we have a seriously depleted squad, with our potential 20 goal striker out for the season, plus 7 or 8 other key players we are going to struggle.

I cannot see us going down despite everything, but we seriously need to get behind Chris and the lads in the coming games, so please lay off the abuse people.

Come on !! What happened to the 12th man attitude?

Its ok, we can get in Mark Hughes now... add to our list of 'failed' managers from higher divisions. When, not if, CP goes, we need to be sensible about who comes in. No club hero, it rarely works generally, no 'big shot', you have to question their motives for stepping down to L1 (Div 3). Young and hungry, yet inexperienced or Old, streetwise in the lower leagues.....? Ambitious club? we'd like to think so, in reality, we are only ever going to be lower league and flirt with promotion. Youth is our survival, sadly, sell the good ones, keep the not so good ones and encourage them to stay (career players) top up with seasoned professionals. Sounds easy? Good luck to whoever eventually takes over.

If Powell isn't going to be accepted by the fans after his success at the end of last season then I don't fancy the chances of whoever Ron chooses to replace him either.

Ron has shown a continual preference to a certain type of manager. Remember Ian Atkins was originally his choice over Tilly. Ron has gone for established managers with proven track records, who take a more statistical approach which leads to a more defensive style of play.

Fans didn't warm to Sturrock even when we were top of the league because the football was bad, therefore we need to eliminate anyone whose football is at times direct. Powell has seemingly alienated a third of our support within a year of his appointment despite an improvement in results and coping with a major injury crisis because we are not attacking enough, even when we win 2-0, so we need to eliminate anyone who may try to defend a lead at home or only play one forward up front.

The financial reality is that any manager will need to sign and develop young talent to sell. On top of this we need someone who is not only successful (itself a difficult enough task) but who also plays gung-ho attacking, passing football.

Good luck in that.

was I the only person that didnt rate him as a player?
YES.
Kevin was an amazing player for us. If only we had someone half as good now. He ran the midfield, battled for everything.
In over fifty years of watching my beloved blues only Jonathan Hunt n Mike Marsh were better in my opinion,but they were only here for five mins compared with the King.
How you can say you didn't rate him is beyond me. I think you should of gone to spec savers !!!!!!

YES.
Kevin was an amazing player for us. If only we had someone half as good now. He ran the midfield, battled for everything.
In over fifty years of watching my beloved blues only Jonathan Hunt n Mike Marsh were better in my opinion,but they were only here for five mins compared with the King.
How you can say you didn't rate him is beyond me. I think you should of gone to spec savers !!!!!!

He was excellent in his later years. Started off a bit rubbish to be fair.

I wish people would stop going on about the injuries and using it as an excuse for the style of football we have been playing and the formation.

For every player we have out injured we have a replacement who is not fresh out of the U18 and with no experiance. Our squad is unbalanced in midfield and CP brought in three of them in the summer and we have not had a commanding center half since we sold Bolger.

For some reason the players who were performing for him at the end of last season are now not playing well and the amount of times we have come out in the second half and not performed is worrying.

Saturday was a perfect game to go out and have a go with nothing to lose. If we had gone two upfront, started with Hutchinson and attacked down the wings from the start, and not once we were 3-1 down, people would have excepted a defeat without all the booing and shouting at CP but instead we went one upfront and tried not to lose.

YES.

While I remain a huge fan of King Kev's it' true to say that in his first couple of seasons with us he didn't exactly tear up any trees,

I had a Kev Maher mug too. And a Tes Bramble one.

Iam
YES.
I am guessing he saw the pitiful relegation season of 97/98 , the 18th in the bottom tier the year after, 16th the year after that , in which Kevin Maher passed the ball forward , IIRC , twice.

Iam

I am guessing he saw the pitiful relegation season of 97/98 , the 18th in the bottom tier the year after, 16th the year after that , in which Kevin Maher passed the ball forward , IIRC , twice.

Yes, I remember him taking penalties too, wasn't one a forward direction scuff to the oppo GK and the other, forward, BUT high wide and handsome. He WAS the almost the only player in that poor poor team who had the balls to want to take the pens though.

Yes, I remember him taking penalties too, wasn't one a forward direction scuff to the oppo GK and the other, forward, BUT high wide and handsome. He WAS the almost the only player in that poor poor team who had the balls to want to take the pens though.
I have to say, my only memories was passing sideways and not always successfully.

Back