• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell. Are you?

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell are you?

• Total voters
lots of unhappy miserable people come to football to vent their unhappiness -

lots of very unfit decrepid old men screaming abuse at very fit athletes who are far better at football than they ever were ...

and there are 22 highly motivated well paid and experienced football managers fighting for a result every single week - thinks its as easy as dropping John White and playing Moore - nope - theres a bit more to it .. including a high level of stress in a result orientated business and having to always deal politely and patiently with fans of the club ..
Silly me! I thought for a moment you were going to try to offer a reason why anyone would even dream of selecting White ahead of Moore in a game you’re trying to win.

Actually Jai, when you look at the poll count here 388 have voted with the majority of 273 still keeping faith with Chris Powell, and that's after I amended the option to allow folk to change their minds. Putting that into context, there are 5.7k members of SZ so not a massive cross section it seems to me. Admittedly not all of those members are active, but even if only half regularly read the threads it doesn't really scream out that most fans want him gone or are losing faith. When a poster feels very strongly about something those posts have more prominence but again, the count that are losing faith is not very big.

You've made some excellent points on injuries etc and at the end of the day Ron will have the long game in mind when it comes to CP's future, and I'm convinced that his view of Powell is very positive. Lots of things are brassing fans off at the moment, and as is usual some start airing their concerns, that's fine, that's what the Zone is for. I'm convinced that CP will be here next season and the players that are currently out will be back and helping us to a better finish than this season is liable to bring.

White makes fewer mistakes and is physically stronger?

I like Moore but he always has a howler in him.

Actually Jai, when you look at the poll count here 388 have voted with the majority of 273 still keeping faith with Chris Powell, and that's after I amended the option to allow folk to change their minds. Putting that into context, there are 5.7k members of SZ so not a massive cross section it seems to me. Admittedly not all of those members are active, but even if only half regularly read the threads it doesn't really scream out that most fans want him gone or are losing faith. When a poster feels very strongly about something those posts have more prominence but again, the count that are losing faith is not very big.

You've made some excellent points on injuries etc and at the end of the day Ron will have the long game in mind when it comes to CP's future, and I'm convinced that his view of Powell is very positive. Lots of things are brassing fans off at the moment, and as is usual some start airing their concerns, that's fine, that's what the Zone is for. I'm convinced that CP will be here next season and the players that are currently out will be back and helping us to a better finish than this season is liable to bring.

True, it's a vocal minority I suppose but my worry is that they are the ones making themselves heard at games.

True, it's a vocal minority I suppose but my worry is that they are the ones making themselves heard at games.
That's the nature of some folk when the chips are down. It's in the genes maybe. When we win post match threads normally run out of steam after 4/5 pages. When we lose, then they can last till the next match. In today's society complaining is the vogue because it's easy to do. Very seldom do the public offer praise of something. Why would you if you are satisfied.

had a laugh on Saturday. Some old boy near me (well he was probably younger than me) was apoplectic when Theo Robinson on came on . His mood got lower when Theo was on the right wing and got a cross in. It looked (for some at least) from the west as if he'd shanked it straight out for a goal kick. This guy puts his head in his hands and shakes his head as if it was the worst bit of football in the history of the game. His friends then gleefully pointed out that Theo's cross had been blocked and been deflected for a corner. In fact given his position and options it was a pretty good bit of play.
You just have to face facts. Not all fans know the first thing about football or what is going on right before their eyes.
BTW apart from bringing back MAF no one has come up with any suggestions of what we CP should do.

No denying that Oxley hasn't hit the heights of last season, but not many would have seen that coming. And of course we have a decent keeper waiting in the wings - oh no, he's injured of course!

I get that a lot of people are unhappy, none of us are happy at the moment, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus among fans as to exactly why Powell should be relieved of his position?

Subs? The one on Saturday didn't look too bad from where I was sitting. You can't make that triple, attacking sub any earlier in the game and it be effective.

Tactics? From what I can see Powell has had to rotate his team and his tactics quite a lot because the squad has been decimated by injuries, which in turn makes injuries to the remaining players far more likely because they have to play more games and play through knocks etc.

But then people moan that he plays Robinson or McCoulsky, but then moan when he pushes Dieng forward to support Cox in a 4-4-1-1. So what should he do???

The three in the middle system with wing backs also worked for a while, but that was when we had Demetriou and Coker pushing forward and crossing for Hopper...

Every time Powell seems to have come across a good system, a vital cog in it seems to get injured. It's been nigh on impossible for him to play a settled back four (which incidentally would also partly explain Oxley's poor form).

For some fans, it seems to be "yes injuries are bad but he can't hide behind that forever". Well the injuries are not going away, they have decimated us and they are going to effect us until May, so how is it an excuse that is wearing thin?

I warned on the fanzine account in October when we lost Hopper, Lennon and Coker long term that as fans we would have to adjust our expectations. Some have, but many more have not and I am sad because it could end up costing a very good manager his job.

Our fundamental aim has to be get to 52 points and survival. There's always next season. In the meantime, we have to get behind Powell as he showed what he can do at the tail end of last season when he had a full squad to choose from.

This is, I feel, a very well written and reasoned post and I would agree with practically all of it.

I am so sad that this is the case this season, as I was excited by the signings in the summer, but the injuries we have suffered this season do seem to be totally out of the blue and unavoidable

Havent read the whole thread but to be honest I felt this entire season became a fight to avoid relegation as soon as Coker and Hopper got their season ending injuries. At this level you can't lose arguably your best player and captain, plus your top scorer, let alone the two or three others with long term injuries from the first team squad and expect much else. Dru's head is probably being turned as well. For me, staying up this season will represent success given our incredible bad luck with injuries. Lets get over the line, get everyone fit and have a real go next season.

Heard today from my chesterfield supporter friend that Martin Allen has let go of MAF and 2 other decent players because they are London based! Now given how bad Chesterfield are these days, and their backroom antics make us look squeaky, maybe it isn't the answer, but I still think that MAF could do a decent fill-in job for us until the end of thd season if he is a free agent. At least he is a known quantity, can hold up play and draw the defence - which McCoulsky should do but just doesn't. I still think Theo is better than he gets credit for, and the stick he gets just makes things worse. In the middle of this Cox is carrying an injury and I think has been for a while, so not a great picture.

I don't know what else SCP needs to do to win over the slightly delusional doubters... maybe we ask santa for a few billion quid!!

A good keeper would help the back 4 feel more confident

I agree with this , but to me its a bit of a catch 22 situation, If you have a back four that are all 6'3" and know how to defend, then they should win headers coming into our box from set plays/corners. Then Oxley has no need to come off his line and command his area.

With our back four they are neither tall enough or in some cases mobile enough to defend the area, so you need your keeper to come and 'take ' his share of crosses, something Oxley doesn't do.

Our season starting full backs Demi and Coker are not tall enough, and teams targeted them at the start of the season.

Oxley is a good reactionary shot stopper, but does not command his area proactively. My view is you either find a keeper that commands his area, or a taller and meaner back four.

Heard today from my chesterfield supporter friend that Martin Allen has let go of MAF and 2 other decent players because they are London based! Now given how bad Chesterfield are these days, and their backroom antics make us look squeaky, maybe it isn't the answer, but I still think that MAF could do a decent fill-in job for us until the end of thd season if he is a free agent. At least he is a known quantity, can hold up play and draw the defence - which McCoulsky should do but just doesn't. I still think Theo is better than he gets credit for, and the stick he gets just makes things worse. In the middle of this Cox is carrying an injury and I think has been for a while, so not a great picture.

I don't know what else SCP needs to do to win over the slightly delusional doubters... maybe we ask santa for a few billion quid!!

String a couple of decent games together or get the players looking “up for it” would be a start for me. Non of that costs billions...just half decent Man management

I imagine our next manager will be Adam Barrett, even on a Tilly type temporary deal that could become permanent, especially in Ron pushes the button on CP's tenure.
I think he should go himself he’s done nothing for this club we are so much in debt and we’re talking about a massive development how come other clubs a lot smaller clubs survive and we let the ground go to ruin we get better gates than most where does all the money go they sold good players for good money

I think he should go himself he’s done nothing for this club we are so much in debt and we’re talking about a massive development how come other clubs a lot smaller clubs survive and we let the ground go to ruin we get better gates than most where does all the money go they sold good players for good money

Ron? That's an entirely seperate thread!

Living in this far flung corner of south-west France I am clearly not privy to the news that some of those, who already want to see the back of Chris Powell, have. That is, Arsene Wenger is waiting in the wings (that's obviously the reason he hasn't taken another job yet) to take on the challenge and Ron has found his long lost treasure chest, to finance the venture.
Honestly, come Christmas/ end of January and we're in or around the the relegation zone..........I may consider reflecting on the situation.
So if you were Powell, what would you do about Oxley?
i would work on getting h confidence back feed his aggression and start owning his area his a big lad make opposition scared of you

No denying that Oxley hasn't hit the heights of last season, but not many would have seen that coming. And of course we have a decent keeper waiting in the wings - oh no, he's injured of course!

I get that a lot of people are unhappy, none of us are happy at the moment, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus among fans as to exactly why Powell should be relieved of his position?

Subs? The one on Saturday didn't look too bad from where I was sitting. You can't make that triple, attacking sub any earlier in the game and it be effective.

Tactics? From what I can see Powell has had to rotate his team and his tactics quite a lot because the squad has been decimated by injuries, which in turn makes injuries to the remaining players far more likely because they have to play more games and play through knocks etc.

But then people moan that he plays Robinson or McCoulsky, but then moan when he pushes Dieng forward to support Cox in a 4-4-1-1. So what should he do???

The three in the middle system with wing backs also worked for a while, but that was when we had Demetriou and Coker pushing forward and crossing for Hopper...

Every time Powell seems to have come across a good system, a vital cog in it seems to get injured. It's been nigh on impossible for him to play a settled back four (which incidentally would also partly explain Oxley's poor form).

For some fans, it seems to be "yes injuries are bad but he can't hide behind that forever". Well the injuries are not going away, they have decimated us and they are going to effect us until May, so how is it an excuse that is wearing thin?

I warned on the fanzine account in October when we lost Hopper, Lennon and Coker long term that as fans we would have to adjust our expectations. Some have, but many more have not and I am sad because it could end up costing a very good manager his job.

Our fundamental aim has to be get to 52 points and survival. There's always next season. In the meantime, we have to get behind Powell as he showed what he can do at the tail end of last season when he had a full squad to choose from.

Jai that post is spot on. Youve said it all right there. No way get rid of Powell, i like the way we get it down.and play, without a brilliant striker its important to get the ball down and play through teams long term. Mid table L1 is about where we should be in our history, the injuries have crippled the team so keeping us up is what its all about and the odd few wins will do that.

Back