• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell. Are you?

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell are you?

• Total voters
Jai that post is spot on. Youve said it all right there. No way get rid of Powell, i like the way we get it down.and play, without a brilliant striker its important to get the ball down and play through teams long term. Mid table L1 is about where we should be in our history, the injuries have crippled the team so keeping us up is what its all about and the odd few wins will do that.

But we don't get it down and play. We play 1 up front, home and away, only changing when we go behind, and continue to pump high balls up to Cox who never wins anything in the air and it simply is not his game.

I appreciate our injuries are crippling but today we started with 1 up front, a right back at left back and a centre half at right back with 2 ageing centre halves who lack any pace whatsoever.

The football, quite truthfully is awful, other teams make us look unfit, we cannot deal with crosses or set pieces and today failed, I believe, to have 1 shot on target.

The atmosphere, home and away, is now pretty dire given there is very very little to cheer about.

Last edited:
Havent read the whole thread but to be honest I felt this entire season became a fight to avoid relegation as soon as Coker and Hopper got their season ending injuries. At this level you can't lose arguably your best player and captain, plus your top scorer, let alone the two or three others with long term injuries from the first team squad and expect much else. Dru's head is probably being turned as well. For me, staying up this season will represent success given our incredible bad luck with injuries. Lets get over the line, get everyone fit and have a real go next season.

We lost Coker pretty much most of last season and coped fine, so I don't see that as being a big loss.

Hopper is a blow, but this is CPs fault for not having any back-up - the basics of football is you have cover in all areas.

I'm not denying he may have tried to, but he didn't and instead we ended up with 3 strikers covering one position, and 1 covering the other.

I would like to see Powell give our young academy strikers a go, maybe by arranging a midweek friendly for our first team against a League side if he won't give them more than a few minutes as subs in a League fixture. Hutchinson and Wabo could be useful for us - where's the harm?

We lost Coker pretty much most of last season and coped fine, so I don't see that as being a big loss.

Hopper is a blow, but this is CPs fault for not having any back-up - the basics of football is you have cover in all areas.

I'm not denying he may have tried to, but he didn't and instead we ended up with 3 strikers covering one position, and 1 covering the other.

I agree with you completely about the Hopper injury and lack of a contingency plan.

However I think it's a stretch to say Coker was out for most of last season. He was injured for a couple of months towards the end of Brown's reign and I'm not sure we coped that well without him in that period. Remember the Timlin at left back debate and Hendrie's woeful form at the time. Results in that period were patchy at best.

Coker was fit by the time Powell arrived and only missed the last 4 games through injury. Although Hendrie's been an adequate replacement this season, he's not as good as Coker IMO.

Please go. You are a terrible manager, I didn't want you here to start with and you failed to win me over. Tactical inept, lack of consistency and taking us down!

Your short comings are not hidden by your spell as a player here and the title of the nicest guy in football.

The game was 0-0 against 10 men and we didn’t go for the jugular. Embarrassing

I hate saying it but I must admit that the smell of relegation is getting stronger. It feels like we have almost capitulated, especially at home. We need something different to happen....soon.

Here we go.

We’ve got a team of yoofs, old codgers & players not good enough for this league. And people are shocked that we’ve been rolled over by one of the best teams in this league.

No manager on this planet makes this starting XI better than it currently is.

It is more about the way they play, no effort and roll over.

I still have faith in him. I have issues more with the players than the manager

Here we go.

We’ve got a team of yoofs, old codgers & players not good enough for this league. And people are shocked that we’ve been rolled over by one of the best teams in this league.

No manager on this planet makes this starting XI better than it currently is.

You have just described a large majority of teams in this division.

For me it's the tactical ineptitude and general apathy of the side that worries me.

We can be outclassed but teams are Out working us almost every match. That's down to the manager to sort out.

Sadly I think the decision to part company with Powell is now otherwise I can't see us getting out of this truly atrocious run of form and therefore relegation.

Even if it's a temporary fix with new manager bounce we need the change to stand a chance in staying up.

Any decent manager would've changed the team and formation as soon as their guy was sent off,but good old Powell leaves three central midfielders on and doesn't change til during the second half when more attacking players should've been on straight away and go for the jugular!!

Any decent manager would've changed the team and formation as soon as their guy was sent off,but good old Powell leaves three central midfielders on and doesn't change til during the second half when more attacking players should've been on straight away and go for the jugular!!
I thought he would have changed it at half time and had the possible subs into the dressing room for tactics/change talk. Poor decisions possibly made by being too cautious and scared of losing the 1 point than getting 3.

Back