• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell. Are you?

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell are you?

• Total voters
I started to feel this way when I saw the signings in midfield which i feel shows a lack of creativity that we would have in the centre even with Dru fit - we have 4 similar style players in Hyam, Manson, Dieng and Dru so will always struggle for a Plan B option

Quite amazed to see after SCP turned our season around last year, now after only 8 games this season the poll is so close.

Blimey fickle football fans eh. Give the man a chance.

I started to feel this way when I saw the signings in midfield which i feel shows a lack of creativity that we would have in the centre even with Dru fit - we have 4 similar style players in Hyam, Manson, Dieng and Dru so will always struggle for a Plan B option

I agree that Mantom, Hyam and Dieng are very similar in style, so effectively we've got 3 midfielders for 1 position.

Dru, (for me at least) is different. He's an all rounder, he can do the nitty gritty, but I'd also say he's great going forward. I loved his surging runs and through balls last season. Trouble is there's no natural alternative, in a 442 at least.

I think a wing back system could work well for us, I don't agree that CP's signings mean we can only play 442. With everyone fit, something along the lines of:

Oxley
White Moore Lennon
Demi Dieng Mantom Coker
Dru
Hopper McCoulsky

could work well. Plus we'd have Cox/Kightly/Bunn who could take the attacking midfield role and Dru could slot in more defensively.

Just because he is a great guy inside and outside football , a player who blessed this club as a full back, doesn’t mean he should not be open to flak
Any other manager who Rob employed would been under the cosh after 8 games

Just because he is a great guy inside and outside football , a player who blessed this club as a full back, doesn’t mean he should not be open to flak

Is this Robbie Cowling you're referring to? If so then anyone that manages the cousins deserves to be under the cosh.

So you feel he should be sacked then?

I am disgusted that Chris Powell is already taking a lot of flak. I would say he needs at least the next 2 transfer windows to arrive at the squad he wants. An unprecedented number of injuries and the stupid behaviour of two senior players that should have known better, have left the squad wafer thin.

For this season we are a mid table side but we all hope for better. However, I really do feel the future is bright, most of the players we have can only get better. As supporters we just need to show patience and get behind the manager and team.

We're not in the Premiership, we're in the 3rd division. It's frustrating right now. However, CP must be given a fair chance to turn things around and build this club. Not surprised, but still disappointed at how quick some of our fans are ready to go for the jugular.

I am disgusted that Chris Powell is already taking a lot of flak. I would say he needs at least the next 2 transfer windows to arrive at the squad he wants. An unprecedented number of injuries and the stupid behaviour of two senior players that should have known better, have left the squad wafer thin.

For this season we are a mid table side but we all hope for better. However, I really do feel the future is bright, most of the players we have can only get better. As supporters we just need to show patience and get behind the manager and team.

I agree there's been an over reaction. However the thing that concerns me is our home form. Under PB last season we were appalling away but hard to beat at home. When PB was sacked (more than half way through thd season) we'd lost 4 home games. We've got a better team now IMO but have already lost 3 home games. CP needs to improve our resiliance at home or we are in for a long season.

I agree there's been an over reaction. However the thing that concerns me is our home form. Under PB last season we were appalling away but hard to beat at home. When PB was sacked (more than half way through thd season) we'd lost 4 home games. We've got a better team now IMO but have already lost 3 home games. CP needs to improve our resiliance at home or we are in for a long season.
We've honestly not been that bad at home
Charlton's the only team we were poor against, we were dominant against Doncaster and Peterborough and it was stupid lapses in concentration that cost us.

No far from it, but it’s seems posters cannot be critical of him , without the give him a chance cliche
As I’ve posted before every club gets injuries and suspensions so it’s how a manager copes that makes him special
He had enough to see players last season and whether he cannot get players to the club is because they donot believe in him or the club ambitions is up for debate
Too many wanted him so much to be the messiah, ex player, lovely guy and now the expectations are taking its toll
Too early in the season to panic, come Christmas you get a true position, though some clubs do come through as dark horses
I hope CP does work out, but if crowds fall and an early exit from the FA cup and we continue to lose whether we dominate or not, the chairman will not want a further slide into the abyss

UTS

Not losing faith in CP, and appreciate that he has had to cope with a depleted squad, but frustrated with late substitutions and McCoulsky not getting much game time. I remember when CP was appointed a Charlton fan saying he didn't make changes early enough.

We've honestly not been that bad at home
Charlton's the only team we were poor against, we were dominant against Doncaster and Peterborough and it was stupid lapses in concentration that cost us.

Agreed. But that's exactly why I'm so worried. We're dominating games and still losing. Under PB we looked far less threatening yet at home yet he always seemed to somehow nick a draw or a 1-0 win, however bad ws were playing.

I said we'd lost 4 home games when PB was sacked, actually it was only 3. CP's already lost that many this season. CP needs to make his team far more resilient or we're in danger of slipping into real trouble.

Don't get me wrong, I love CP and hope he turns it round but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried, 3 home defeats this early is not good, the fact we played well in 2 of thise games makes it worse IMO.

Last edited:
Don't think he is getting a lot wrong ahead of a game. Seems to be picking what most of us would regard our strongest team available and setting up the team okay. Bit like last year in that there are too many key players not available for selection /playing but carrying knocks on seemingly an all too regular basis. Added to a lack of quality in depth - I think when you have a situation when with the likes of White, Turner and Robinson all featuring regularly and a loanee from L2 (part of a relegation team last year) looking like one of your most reliable players - you know you aren't going to be necessarily competing at the right end of the table.

Cp should be given a fair bit more time yet. Think he needs to stop playing out of form players. Mc goalski needs to start next few games

If he doesn’t start McCoulsky in the next game then faith will well and truly be lost.
the answer to today's performance wasn't McCoulsky. He came on for 10/15 mins and I don't think he touched the ball. If the problem is our strikers missing bags of chances then fine, but the problems are in midfield and defence.

the answer to today's performance wasn't McCoulsky. He came on for 10/15 mins and I don't think he touched the ball. If the problem is our strikers missing bags of chances then fine, but the problems are in midfield and defence.

Might not have been the issue today but against Peterborough it certainly was the issue. Can’t really change too much with the defence as we are limited but he has plenty of options up front to change and he isn’t making those changes.

As I keep saying, the loss of Leonard and Timlin is proving to be extremely costly.

Back