• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell. Are you?

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell are you?

• Total voters
Comparing Marcus Rashford, to any of our yoofs, is frankly mad mate, come on, you know that.

I don’t see why it’s so hard to grasp that the youngsters aren’t upto it? Physically and mentally, their not fully developed yet. Neither do they have the experience of playing against players of this calibre.

Aside from the, once-in-a-blue-moon wonderkids like Rooney, that’s just how it is.

But he has given yoof a chance: Bishop, Elvis, Dru, Hutch, Kelman, Klass, Kyprianou.

I wasn’t comparing any of our players to Rashford what I was saying was about youth players being able to step up. Dru when he was brought in last season proved how class he was and he could hack it. Alright this season he’s been a bit poor but his injuries and confidence are obviously holding him back.

I think the lads in the centre are where the real crux of our problem is. Dieng is about 6ft 3 and looses near enough every duel in the air. He’s too much of a nice guy and doesn’t enforce himself. Mantom is an average league one back up player. Hyam has the movement of a crab. Dru needs new boots as he’s spent most of this season falling over on his arse, but I do at least see some effort and desire in him more so than the others.

There’s nobody that stands out as having a specific role. When we had Mkandawire for that short time, you knew he was only going to sit and hold, but you could always count on him to be in the area he was meant to be when the opposition were breaking. This lot just look lost when the opposition are coming forward.

Don’t get me wrong, the rest have been equally as poor, but a lot of that’s down to the injury situation. We can have no excuses in terms of the centre of the park recruitment though.

Powell has the look of a lost supply teacher lately.

I think the lads in the centre are where the real crux of our problem is. Dieng is about 6ft 3 and looses near enough every duel in the air. He’s too much of a nice guy and doesn’t enforce himself. Mantom is an average league one back up player. Hyam has the movement of a crab. Dru needs new boots as he’s spent most of this season falling over on his arse, but I do at least see some effort and desire in him more so than the others.

There’s nobody that stands out as having a specific role. When we had Mkandawire for that short time, you knew he was only going to sit and hold, but you could always count on him to be in the area he was meant to be when the opposition were breaking. This lot just look lost when the opposition are coming forward.

Don’t get me wrong, the rest have been equally as poor, but a lot of that’s down to the injury situation. We can have no excuses in terms of the centre of the park recruitment though.

I agree, I would say we have no real CM quality at the moment, the main CM who ever it is meant to be is not on form and our back up is also not on form, so the defense is left exposed, and the rest of the Midfield is not able to supply the strikers to allow them to score, so we are kind of stuck, the likes of Klass who i felt had a off day to day is still learning, but with more games, i think him and an on form Dru Yearwood would be our best CM pair?

Each of the midfielders, as an individual, has a skill set and style BUT the knack of a good combination that is effective is what is needed and that is where CP keeps getting it wrong and not balancing it. The famous Lampard/Gerrard England debates is an offbeat version of our dilemma and it keeps happening with an occasional display (such as at Bradford) that belies the normal performance weaknesses.

Only 4 points from bottom 4 and Bristol have a game in hand. Next three games are so important and could decide Powell's future.

At least Blackpool went down 4-0 today which sheds some kind of hope on our game next week despite it potentially being to the biggest home crowd at Broomfield this season.

I am not sure what difference changing the manager at this point of the season would make. I also don't see what a new manager could do anyway with no money. I also can't see what a new manager would do about the current injuries.
The players need to have a private chat with their own self belief and prove to the fans they are worth keeping. Kightly was shocking today as was Turner.
Bishop, Cox and Elvis are the only three players worth giving any credit to.

We need a big away crowd next week to give them a boost.

Last edited:
The players are good enough, they have proved that before, take the come back v pompey. Said after game that it is Powells job to keep them at that standard which he has failed to do.

We did say at the time we still needed one more even with Robinson here. To get rid of Robinson without anyone coming in was mental. All it takes was an injury to Humphrys (which obviously happened) or Cox then as we are we are up **** creek! God forbid if Cox got injured.

Powell thought we were going to be signing the lad from Walsall then he pulled out at the last minute.

At least Blackpool went down 4-0 today which sheds some kind of hope on our game next week despite it potentially being to the biggest home crowd at Broomfield this season.

I am not sure what difference changing the manager at this point of the season would make. I also don't see what a new manager could do anyway with no money. I also can't see what a new manager would do about the current injuries.
The players need to have a private chat with their own self belief and prove to the fans they are worth keeping. Kightly was shocking today as was Turner.
Bishop, Cox and Elvis are the only three players worth giving any credit to.

We need a big away crowd next week to give them a boost.
A change in manager would potentially galvanise the team for a few games to get us enough points to stop the spiral towards relegation. It would be a gamble and does depend on who we get in. Powell has been very unlucky with all the injuries, but he is a manager that performs when all is going for him. When the chips are down he doesn’t convince me he has the ability to inspire a turnaround, I want it to work out for Powell as he a legend and probably my favourite ever blues player...but we can not be sentimental, we need to stay in this league..with 11 games left and 3 points from the last 24...4 points above Rovers with them having a game in hand....not sure we can wait!!!

The players are good enough.

That’s the key to this whole discussion. Everyone seems to fall into one of two camps.

1) You think the current players are good enough, and the reason they’re underperforming is because of Powell.

2) you don’t think the current players are good enough, and no manager would change that.

A change in manager would potentially galvanise the team for a few games to get us enough points to stop the spiral towards relegation. It would be a gamble and does depend on who we get in. Powell has been very unlucky with all the injuries, but he is a manager that performs when all is going for him. When the chips are down he doesn’t convince me he has the ability to inspire a turnaround, I want it to work out for Powell as he a legend and probably my favourite ever blues player...but we can not be sentimental, we need to stay in this league..with 11 games left and 3 points from the last 24...4 points above Rovers with them having a game in hand....not sure we can wait!!!

We both make good points but I am not convinced a change would make much difference this late in the season. I may be wrong but I seriously cannot see Uncle Ron pulling the trigger anyway.

We both make good points but I am not convinced a change would make much difference this late in the season. I may be wrong but I seriously cannot see Uncle Ron pulling the trigger anyway.

I don't think Ron wants to pull the trigger, but if we end up in the relegation zone in the next couple of weeks, he may not be left with much choice

Back