• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell. Are you?

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell are you?

• Total voters
Out of curiosity mate, what would you do for the upcoming match?

Where do you think Powell is going wrong?

I'd just like him to get on with it. Everyone knows we have injuries but stop bringing it up in every interview. We know the deal and no one is saying things wouldn't be better if we didn't have them but he doesn't look like the sort of bloke who's gonna roll his sleeves up now and is that the message we want getting across to the players?

What I'd like him to do is go out and attack someone. Big crowd expected at Blackpool on Saturday and they could be overawed as they're not used to it. Go and spoil the party. Get at them from the first whistle. Their result at the weekend shows they're vulnerable at the back so play the game in their half.

The starting line up for Barnsley was actually pretty good, I wouldn't change a lot. Possibly Hyam for Mantom but do I see him dropping his skipper? No. I'd also bring in Lennon for Turner.

I couldn't tell you the last time I watched a game and thought "we're trying to win this". We are painfully negative and it invites pressure on us. As I said, play the game in their half. That's all I ask

Last edited:
I'd just like him to get on with it. Everyone knows we have injuries but stop bringing it up in every interview

It isn’t him that brings the topic up though. It’s brought up by the reporters, trying to get a tasty headline from him.

Take Saturday for example, the Sky reporter hit him with a loaded question, that had no easy answers. Personally, I’d rather see Powell stick clear of these interviews, as he can’t do right from wrong.

What I'd like him to do is go out and attack someone. Big crowd expected at Blackpool on Saturday and they could be overawed as they're not used to it. Go and spoil the party. Get at them from the first whistle. Their result at the weekend shows their vulnerable to at the back so play the game in their half.

We all want that, and I dare say nobody wants it more than Chris Powell. I’ve got no doubt he’s relaying this sentiment & feeling to his players.

The starting line up for Barnsley was actually pretty good, I wouldn't change a lot. Possibly Hyam for Mantom but do I see him dropping his skipper? No. I'd also bring in Lennon for Turner.

I couldn't tell you the last time I watched a game and thought "we're trying to win this". We are painfully negative and it invites pressure on us. As I said, play the game in their half. That's all I ask

So what specifically is Chris Powell doing wrong?

Playing Mantom? Ok I’ll agree with that point, to a certain degree.

But playing in the opponents half? You’re making it sound as though it’s simple, when it’s anything but.

So what specifically is Chris Powell doing wrong?

It's negative. It doesn't look like we set out to win. There wasn't a lot he could do with the lineup but he can change the tactics. Get the wingers on the ball. Hit the channels. Don't do what we actually did and hit it long to Cox on his own

That's an interesting take following a game where we got hit three times on the break.

It's negative. It doesn't look like we set out to win. There wasn't a lot he could do with the lineup but he can change the tactics. Get the wingers on the ball. Hit the channels. Don't do what we actually did and hit it long to Cox on his own

I think a lot of it is to do with the defence though. We know it’s not very strong. None of the back 5 would be starting, if we had other options.

So Powell is trying to pack out our defensive third, which of course appears negative.

As it happens, to a certain degree it has worked at times, but as luck would have it, it’s been stupid mistakes, which have cost us.

I hear what you’re saying about the channels, It’s just unfortunate, that the wingers we’ve got/been using, haven’t been on the boil.

Asking someone like Kightly to run the channels, AND track back and defend is pointless, because he can only keep that up for a short period.

Now, if we’d had a real goal scoring threat, then I’d be more inclined to agree with you, and say **** it, throw caution to the wind, and go score 4 goals. If we concede three, who cares. But sadly we don’t have that. Take Cox out of the equation, and we’re so goal shy it’s unbelievable.

How do people feel about Powell's body language? I find it quite interesting as to me he looks like a beaten man from the first whistle. The vast majority of the game he stands quietly leaning against the wall. Personally, I don't like that. I like a bit of passion to be shown, a bit of verbal communication from the sidelines etc etc. It annoys the hell out of me that I'm watching a car crash of a game and he's just standing there quietly.

The whole injury thing I personally feel is very convenient for Powell, even with a limited squad he should be using his tactically awareness to work to what strengths we do have. Something along the lines of, (not saying I like this, just saying this is an example) they have a lot better players than us, we need to shut up shop BUT when we get the ball we need to counter in numbers and at pace to try and score. The problem with us is, we can't defend and we can't attack. Like many have mentioned already, the work rate is not great. We're losing 1 nil and players are walking looking beat already etc etc.

We still do have good players but they are all horrendously out of form such as Kightly, Macca, Mantom, Dru etc. Why though? Why are all of these players playing so poorly week in week out? There's so many questions, I could go on forever.

January transfer window, what a disgrace that was. 2 signings!!!! one of which is a young kid loanee. Powell knew exactly where we're struggling yet hasn't addressed it. I still think we have so many players in the squad who are useless yet some of them are Powell's signings. My views are below.

Oxley - Don't rate, never have. Wouldn't care if he left. Couldn't believe he got the armband at the beginning of the season considering he's as quiet as a mouse.
Bishop - Great prospect, clearly our number 1
Smith - Long term injury problems which he has to get over otherwise we can't keep him.

Elvis - Might be unpopular but I think he's terrible. I know some give him extra allowance because he's come from our youth but he's not a good player IMO
Coker - Give him a new contract and get him ready to play once he's ready
Turner - Needs to leave at the end of the season and retire, legs are gone
Kiernan - We need him back asap, could be the answer to our some of our major problems
Moore - Always been a big fan of his but wasn't impressed seeing him out at gone 11pm on Friday night. Makes the matter worse that he didn't have a great game
Demetriou - I think he's ok but we'll be a lot better with him playing than Elvis
Lennon - Similiar to Kiernan, need him back asap
Kyprianou - Decent ish player, can do a job when needed, might be one for a few years time
Hendrie - release asap, end his misery
Hart - send back at the end of the season
White - decent squad player and great servant but being honest, not the best player in the world but massively committed

Hyam - I've barely had a change to see him, seems to be injured for a month, play 5 mins and then out for another month. Waste of a season for him
Kightly - Would love to release him at the end of the season. Out of shape, lazy and just not very good anymore.
Dieng - I like him but he never seems to boss the midfeild
McLaughlin - Always like Macca and can never fault his effort but things just never seem to come off for him. Been in poor form for a long time now.
Dru - Terrible season, not stepped up his progression at all. i have questioned his commitment this season due to lack of effort and poor form
Mantom - He's had a dreadful last few weeks. Can't pass the ball, can't take a corner, can't own the midfield, the list goes on. Unfortunately, he tries but he's just not very good.
Klass - Before the last few games I thought very little of him, then after the Portsmouth game I was very impressed but since then he's been poor again, especially on Saturday
Barratt - Such a shame we've not been able to see him. Looking forward to next season
Hutchinson - Was excited to see what he had about him but seen very little so far
Bunn - Had a couple of good games but nothing special, always getting injuries as well

Hopper - Good player, need him back
Cox - love the bloke but feel sorry for him
Ba - get rid, don't see the point in him being with us
Wabo - Amazing that he's still with us after countless loans etc. He's not got it, let him go.
Robinson - Let go
Kelman - Decent prospect
Humphrys - I think he'll be ok, shame he got injured.

I thought we looked better at 0-0 against 11 then chasing the game against 10. The more we attacked the more Barnsley looked like scoring.

Yes, I must admit that when their guy got sent off and everyone was cheering I was thinking it was not necessarily going to be a good thing for us.

Yes, I must admit that when their guy got sent off and everyone was cheering I was thinking it was not necessarily going to be a good thing for us.
Mrs RHB said to me 'oh dear, were not normally very good against 10 men'. I've asked her to keep her thoughts to herself in future.

I’m getting fed up with people who are getting fed up with Chris Powell, just like I was fed up with people who were fed up of Brown, and people who were fed up of Sturrock. Basically Powell has been here a year, hasn’t delivered the instant promotion that would probably bankrupt us anyway, so half of you want him gone. Whilst I understand a man needs to be in work, this is the reason I’m surprised CP wanted to be our manager - it’s a very easy (and quick) way to lose your status as a club legend.
You all need to chill out a bit. Building something takes time, and there will be mistakes along the way - not every signing will work out. If our chairman has decided Powell is his man, he needs to back him for a few years unless there’s chaos and disaster all around (which clearly there isn’t). At worst we’ve treaded water this season - it’s no worse than that - and there is good reason to look forward to next season if we can get our first XI fit.
Far more concerning for me was the commentators statement during the Barnsley game that we are running the 5th biggest wage bill in the division. If this is correct - and it wouldn’t surprise me - surely that’s a worry as our income can’t be the 5th largest in a division that includes Sunderland and Portsmouth? We’ve pulled in some players from higher divisions in recent years who will be used to earning well - I’m thinking of Turner, Cox, Kightly, Kiernan. There was even a fair bit of competition for Mantom, so surely he isn’t cheap? If there’s anything we should be worrying about surely it’s about how we balance our books? My concern is that when Ron is gone, there could be a financial puzzle of endemic proportions to unpick.

Yes.

He's a former England player with a 100 point season on his CV and no relegations.

How many available managers can say that?

His tenure at Charlton was a huge success until he was forced out by a dodgy chairman.

Huddersfield was shortlived - a little over a year suggests a trigger happy chairman - and whilst it wasn't a success it was hardly a complete disaster either. If he can talk a good game in an interview he can claim to have laid some of the groundwork for their subsequent success (stuff like this is incredibly difficult to verify).

Outside of Southend the football world would be mystified by the sacking of a manager of a team in 13th with a dozen long term injuries (an injury list recently publicised by Ben Coker) when he doesn't seem to have lost the dressing room (only the other week his team came back from 3-0 down against a promotion chasing side live on TV) and introducing numerous kids (outsiders will remember Charlie Kelman's goal). People would put it down to a trigger happy chairman overreacting to one bad performance on telly and there would be accusations aplenty of delusions of grandeur for expecting Southend to be in the play-offs. The actual situation may be more nuanced but that would be the outside perception.

Sacked managers have certainly got further managerial gigs off more unconvincing CVs with more distant success.

Kelman isn't remotely suited (at least at this stage of his career) to that role either.
L
How do people feel about Powell's body language? I find it quite interesting as to me he looks like a beaten man from the first whistle. The vast majority of the game he stands quietly leaning against the wall. Personally, I don't like that. I like a bit of passion to be shown, a bit of verbal communication from the sidelines etc etc. It annoys the hell out of me that I'm watching a car crash of a game and he's just standing there quietly.

The whole injury thing I personally feel is very convenient for Powell, even with a limited squad he should be using his tactically awareness to work to what strengths we do have. Something along the lines of, (not saying I like this, just saying this is an example) they have a lot better players than us, we need to shut up shop BUT when we get the ball we need to counter in numbers and at pace to try and score. The problem with us is, we can't defend and we can't attack. Like many have mentioned already, the work rate is not great. We're losing 1 nil and players are walking looking beat already etc etc.

We still do have good players but they are all horrendously out of form such as Kightly, Macca, Mantom, Dru etc. Why though? Why are all of these players playing so poorly week in week out? There's so many questions, I could go on forever.

January transfer window, what a disgrace that was. 2 signings!!!! one of which is a young kid loanee. Powell knew exactly where we're struggling yet hasn't addressed it. I still think we have so many players in the squad who are useless yet some of them are Powell's signings. My views are below.

Oxley - Don't rate, never have. Wouldn't care if he left. Couldn't believe he got the armband at the beginning of the season considering he's as quiet as a mouse.
Bishop - Great prospect, clearly our number 1
Smith - Long term injury problems which he has to get over otherwise we can't keep him.

Elvis - Might be unpopular but I think he's terrible. I know some give him extra allowance because he's come from our youth but he's not a good player IMO
Coker - Give him a new contract and get him ready to play once he's ready
Turner - Needs to leave at the end of the season and retire, legs are gone
Kiernan - We need him back asap, could be the answer to our some of our major problems
Moore - Always been a big fan of his but wasn't impressed seeing him out at gone 11pm on Friday night. Makes the matter worse that he didn't have a great game
Demetriou - I think he's ok but we'll be a lot better with him playing than Elvis
Lennon - Similiar to Kiernan, need him back asap
Kyprianou - Decent ish player, can do a job when needed, might be one for a few years time
Hendrie - release asap, end his misery
Hart - send back at the end of the season
White - decent squad player and great servant but being honest, not the best player in the world but massively committed

Hyam - I've barely had a change to see him, seems to be injured for a month, play 5 mins and then out for another month. Waste of a season for him
Kightly - Would love to release him at the end of the season. Out of shape, lazy and just not very good anymore.
Dieng - I like him but he never seems to boss the midfeild
McLaughlin - Always like Macca and can never fault his effort but things just never seem to come off for him. Been in poor form for a long time now.
Dru - Terrible season, not stepped up his progression at all. i have questioned his commitment this season due to lack of effort and poor form
Mantom - He's had a dreadful last few weeks. Can't pass the ball, can't take a corner, can't own the midfield, the list goes on. Unfortunately, he tries but he's just not very good.
Klass - Before the last few games I thought very little of him, then after the Portsmouth game I was very impressed but since then he's been poor again, especially on Saturday
Barratt - Such a shame we've not been able to see him. Looking forward to next season
Hutchinson - Was excited to see what he had about him but seen very little so far
Bunn - Had a couple of good games but nothing special, always getting injuries as well

Hopper - Good player, need him back
Cox - love the bloke but feel sorry for him
Ba - get rid, don't see the point in him being with us
Wabo - Amazing that he's still with us after countless loans etc. He's not got it, let him go.
Robinson - Let go
Kelman - Decent prospect
Humphrys - I think he'll be ok, shame he got injured.
Fair enough time to put the cat out and turn out the lights.

I feel sick.

I don’t see what any other manager would have done really. And even if we were to make a change now I don’t know what that would even do.

****ing hell - so depressing.

I feel sick.

I don’t see what any other manager would have done really. And even if we were to make a change now I don’t know what that would even do.

****ing hell - so depressing.
I know you’re massively anti sacking Powell, but if he were to go would you be surprised? Genuine question here, not looking for a row. I honestly can’t see him still in charge Saturday

I get it’s sad for those that loved Powell as a player but this is only going to end one way. Needs to go now so someone else can try and salvage something

If he stays, we go down

I know you’re massively anti sacking Powell, but if he were to go would you be surprised? Genuine question here, not looking for a row. I honestly can’t see him still in charge Saturday

I felt like he might have to go when we were 3-0 down v Portsmouth the other week live on telly. Next thing you know it’s the best come back I’ve ever seen.

I give up trying to decide what I think to be honest.

I don’t know if it’s the right thing or not.
Couldn’t do anything about injuries. But now I’m pretty sure we have enough to stay up with the bodies coming back.

Whether we can or not is another story. Ha.

I don’t know if I would be surprised if he got sacked now - I just think... what would it actually do if we did sack him?

Back