• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell. Are you?

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell are you?

• Total voters
Worth mention that I'm sure I read that this actually our best start out of the last 4 seasons. Hard to believe I know, but apparently true.
It was true until last week. Now it's the same points and position as last season and 1-2 points less than the previous two.

Our best performance over the first 8 games in this third division stint was in 2015-6. We had 9 points and were in 17th place.

Now would be a particularly good time to go on a run of 25 wins in a row.

Comparing the fixtures we've played so far against the same fixture last year, we've taken 2 more points from those 7 games than we did last year.

Of the first 11 matches this year against teams we played in League One last year, we only won 1 of the corresponding matches in 2017-8. That was Charlton at home.

Of the rest, we drew 4 and lost 6.

Look, I'm okay. I just like a spreadsheet.

It was true until last week. Now it's the same points and position as last season and 1-2 points less than the previous two.

Our best performance over the first 8 games in this third division stint was in 2015-6. We had 9 points and were in 17th place.

Now would be a particularly good time to go on a run of 25 wins in a row.

Comparing the fixtures we've played so far against the same fixture last year, we've taken 2 more points from those 7 games than we did last year.

Of the first 11 matches this year against teams we played in League One last year, we only won 1 of the corresponding matches in 2017-8. That was Charlton at home.

Of the rest, we drew 4 and lost 6.

Look, I'm okay. I just like a spreadsheet.

Well at least we're consistent at something, even if it is at starting every season badly.

Just a gentle reminder to some that we have only ever been promoted from this division TWICE before in our entire history. So maybe peoples expectations are a little bit out of whack.

We don't generally do very well at this level, this is our 4th season in a row now in league 1 which is the longest we've had for a very long time, probably in fact since the split I'm sure someone can confirm that. So we are struggling a bit at the moment but I think we have enough quality to get up the table.

Last edited:
See this is the thing - he is. He'd be managing at least in the Championship. But he got sacked by two clubs in that league.
Didn't he get sacked by Huddersfield due to a row with the new owners over team selection?
Phil Brown got Hull promoted into the Premiership. Does that make him a better manager than Powell? If so we seem to have made a huge mistake.

Powell gets a free pass thanks to his playing ties to the club. As I said, it's very early days and I'm sure he will turn it around but he deserves the same scrutiny recieved by Sturrock and Brown.
And the fact that he saved us from almost certain relegation playing some of the best and most entertaining football I've seen for years.

See this is the thing - he is. He'd be managing at least in the Championship. But he got sacked by two clubs in that league.

Phil Brown got Hull promoted into the Premiership. Does that make him a better manager than Powell? If so we seem to have made a huge mistake.

Powell gets a free pass thanks to his playing ties to the club. As I said, it's very early days and I'm sure he will turn it around but he deserves the same scrutiny recieved by Sturrock and Brown.

We were 100% going down under PB, he had a pretty good run IMO and could have gone much earlier.

Just a gentle reminder to some that we have only ever been promoted from this division TWICE before in our entire history. So maybe peoples expectations are a little bit out of whack.

We don't generally do very well at this level, this is our 4th season in a row now in league 1 which is the longest we've had for a very long time, probably in fact since the split I'm sure someone can confirm that. So we are struggling a bit at the moment but I think we have enough quality to get up the table.
I think it’s the Longest since we were relegated the first time.
We have only been promoted from t3 the season after winning promotion from t4 the season before.

If we can avoid the bottom division for a few more years we will be performing above average.

Losing faith? Nope these are transitional times. Having outed some of the Brown squad, slowly Chris is changing personnel and getting his style to work. There will be problems doing this at a lower league club, lack of playing staff in key positions will slow that process down, certainly when key players arent fit or available. Give him time, watch as the squad gets fitter, faster and the football improves because Powell will be doing it the hard way, just like Liverpool are at the other end of the spectrum. Support the lads in the meantime and watch as it all comes together, i'm sure it will and we will be a force home and away. You simply cannot bring change overnight.

Its good to see some realism in this thread, We are a bit of a yo- yo team and have been for many years. Isn't that the main reason we love our team? We always hope for success but tinged with that is the knowledge that, sooner or later we will have a dodgy season. Unless we suddenly find a billionaire whom is going to buy us into the upper echelons that is how it will always be IMHO. Enjoy the good days, accept the many disappointments and be thankful we have a team like ours to support. Personally after 60 plus years I don't think I would want it any other way. COYBB

So relieved to see it has increased to 70% 'not lost faith'. It has restored my faith in our supporters. I admit that the season hasn't started well, but that is largely down to the oft mentioned injuries, suspensions and international call ups. Yes, I do find it odd how McCoulsky hasn't been given more game time and find subs are made late in my opinion, but then I have to face facts and that CP knows better than me.

We must keep the faith.

I was benched once in the final for shrimperzone after scoring two in the semi and starting pretty much all season haha. Never even got off the bench. Last game I was ever involved in as couldn't be bothered with the clique anymore. Scored a hat trick against them a couple seasons later :). You may remember it over at Wakerings ground.
Maybe that has been the problem because on paper they are a good squad

Look I was one who would have stuck with PB- when replaced with SCP I felt if we were to change he was the perfect choice. He still is.

The problem is expectations and a desire to see everything through a self fulfilling filter.

PB did a good job his way with the resources he had- he wasn't helped by injuries.

SCP is doing a good job with the resources he has- he hasn't been helped with injuries.

I never believed that simply changing one good manager for another good or slightly better manager would suddenly transform all the challenges and make them disappear.

Whoever is in charge our financial situation is that we won't buy promotions rather build through clever transfer market activity and an excellent youth/u23 set up success over time. Changing the manager was never a guaranteed quick fix for that.

SCP needs time- a should be given it.

Not losing faith in him ,but he needs to start making some hard decisions player wise,he cant keep playing under performers in the hope that they will start performing,players need to consistently perform to a decent level if they cant do that then get rid of them.Think its about time he gave Mc Goulsky a decent run of games not just a few minutes here and there.Cox and Robinson two under performers need dropping.By your threads so are McLaughlin and Kightly.Dieng seems to be carrying an injury,let him get fit ,we have others .

Football for me is about entertainment , I pay my money and I want to be entertained ,ok SCP has had a few dodgy results in the past couple of weeks but I still feel the feel good factor is within our team .
We are playing attacking football which in its purest is fantastic to watch , at present we are looking very vulnerable at the back but IMO it’s easier to get a team well drilled , organised and harder to beat than it is to coach a team to create and express themselves ..........I walk away from games far more entertained and fulfilled than I did in the PB era even if sometimes the result is not always the preferred outcome

Back