• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell. Are you?

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell are you?

• Total voters
Less than 3 weeks ago this thread started. 79 people had lost faith in SCP. Please everybody do not be taken in by typical knee jerk reactions. We are not a big club with spending power, but we have always had strong support. I suggest to the 79 youre gonna need a stronger resolve to see the season out me little cupcakes

Less than 3 weeks ago this thread started. 79 people had lost faith in SCP. Please everybody do not be taken in by typical knee jerk reactions. We are not a big club with spending power, but we have always had strong support. I suggest to the 79 youre gonna need a stronger resolve to see the season out me little cupcakes

No they didn't. Did you not understand the question?

Why don't people spend a little more time and effort getting facts correct before posting on here. There is a massive difference between 'losing' faith and 'lost' faith. When you are losing you can still win( as we well know!!) whereas when you've lost you've lost. COYBB

Can the poll be re-set now we have got some more points on the board and see if a good week has swung some of the losing faith persons into persons of faith?

The loss of faith revolves around team selections, formations, planning and choice of timing and substitutions. These issues have not gone away because of three wins on the bounce. Indeed, the last two wins highlighted and were characterised by these very issues causing problems i.e the dubious nature and timing of the substitutions at Wycombe and the naivety of the initial lineup at Burton, apparently not anticipating the threat down the wings. For those reasons, I for one am reserving judgement on Powell's managerial acumen for now.

Never forget the golden rule of being a football fan.....Those that slag the most know the least.

The loss of faith revolves around team selections, formations, planning and choice of timing and substitutions. These issues have not gone away because of three wins on the bounce. Indeed, the last two wins highlighted and were characterised by these very issues causing problems i.e the dubious nature and timing of the substitutions at Wycombe and the naivety of the initial lineup at Burton, apparently not anticipating the threat down the wings. For those reasons, I for one am reserving judgement on Powell's managerial acumen for now.

I don't often feel the need to post on this site but every so often something I read irkes me so much that I need to get my opinion off my chest.

Lets deal with the points you raised one by one :-

Team selection

Having regard to the injuries loss of form and suspensions I believe that in the main the teams fielded selected themselves. What changes would you have made?

Formations and naivety of initial lineup.

What is wrong with selecting a formation and lineup that appeared to play to our strengths? Why should we not have started the Burton match with a formation that served us well at Wycombe, to the extent that it took us to 3-0 up? When it didn't work at Burton as planned, the formation was changed to one that did. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Planning and choice of timing of substitutions and their dubious nature

I was at Wycombe and watched the Burton game on iFollow. What was so dubious about the substitutions at Wycombe? Yearwood needed some playing time as did Kightly We were 3-0 up and cruising. If that wasn't the time to make the substitutions and so give the substitutes some time on the pitch and some of the starters a rest, seeing that they would need to play 2 more games this week, when do you say would have been the right time? Okay they didn't perform as we had hoped but the wisdom of giving them time on the pitch soon became clear. Mantom was injured and Dru was needed to replace him at Burton and Kightly's input at Burton greatly contributed to the change in the nature of the match. I consider that this demonstrated great planning and acumen

I for one have no doubt about Chris Powell's all round managerial ability.

Well said Blake.

What if last night CP had picked a starting line up of 4-4-2. Burton would have been just as lively first 45 and can you imagen the outcry on here if we had gone behind.

PB was slagged tinkering to suit the opposition, now CP is slagged for not tinkering.

Last edited:

Who would you prefer in the job?

Can the poll be re-set now we have got some more points on the board and see if a good week has swung some of the losing faith persons into persons of faith?

I’ve had to purchase a new SCP prayer mat, as I sadly burnt my last one while demonstrating outside the club shop after we lost at Shrewsbury. However I have said 50 Hail Ronnies and cleansed myself of guilt.

Its rubbish like this that really pees me off..particularly in a modern fan type of reaction. I genuinely looked at a league table for thr 1st time after last nights result...we are three points off the play offs ffs. Some of our performances this season have been outstanding....and we lost those games. Still so early in the season. Back the team and stop being a snowflake. What did you do as a supporter when it got a bit sticky....well i started a poll after the first month of the season.Typical knee jerk nonsense. Chris powell has won this league before he knows what it takes.

Must remember that when you go on the politics slag off labour party

Its debateable whether politics and sport should mix.....What is not debateable is that politics and sport should never be mixed on a football thread,

Who would you prefer in the job?
I was not calling for Powell to be sacked, that would be ridiculous at this stage. 'Losing faith' not lost faith is the subject of the thread and as one who is agnostic on the subject, I never had the blind faith that many posters exhibit, I merely stated a number of reservations about Powell's management thus far which concern me. I would be delighted to see him succeed of course. Three wins on the trot is encouraging, but they have hardly been resounding victories and have raised many doubts in my mind.

I was not calling for Powell to be sacked, that would be ridiculous at this stage. 'Losing faith' not lost faith is the subject of the thread and as one who is agnostic on the subject, I never had the blind faith that many posters exhibit, I merely stated a number of reservations about Powell's management thus far which concern me. I would be delighted to see him succeed of course. Three wins on the trot is encouraging, but they have hardly been resounding victories and have raised many doubts in my mind.

Equally some of us supporting CP aren’t just doing it out of blind ‘He’s one of our own’ faith.

We liked what we witnessed last season. We understand that injuries and suspensions have made the start difficult. We don’t need 3-0 every week to appreciate good football.

Back