• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm losing faith in Kevin Bond. Are you?

I'm losing faith in Kevin Bond - Are you?

• Total voters
There's a huge difference between negative & positive criticism and calling someone a "snowflake" because they don't respond to being belittled in public or yelled at in private shows that you have very little understanding of psychology. Not everyone responds to the Alex Ferguson hairdryer treatment.
If you read my comment you see that I said right or wrong Coxy seemed the type to prove someone wrong. By the way Alex Ferguson was a highly successful manager at the highest level!

Guys, there are posts on this thread that are bordering on bullying. Seems as if the grammar police have been out in force.

:Off Topic:

Perhaps close the thread, which was always pretty daft in its theory anyway?

Guys, there are posts on this thread that are bordering on bullying. Seems as if the grammar police have been out in force.

:Off Topic:

Perhaps close the thread, which was always pretty daft in its theory anyway?
As I said earlier, time to move on. A very light hearted joke that was meant to be about the relevant typo, but it now seems to be rumbling on.

You’re right though, we don’t want SZ to be a place where people are going to be pulled up on how they type so it does need to stop.

As for the thread itself, I don’t agree with the OP but we’re nothing without opinions.

If you read my comment you see that I said right or wrong Coxy seemed the type to prove someone wrong. By the way Alex Ferguson was a highly successful manager at the highest level!

Indeed. When Cox was dropped by PB not long into his first season with us. He admitted his performances had not been good enough and came back a better player.

Some time later he was dropped again for the home game v Walsall and was not very happy at all. Came on as sub and scored the winner with that free kick over the wall.

As you say Cox isn't the type of man who always has to order a 99 at the ice cream van.

Its far more than that. Plenty of us on here have and do manage people. In most cases the people we manage have to behave otherwise they lose their jobs (unless they are a moderator)

In football no matter how much you have let your boss down someone else will employ you. In the days when you fell in love with the game possible 50% of a players wage was made up in appearances and a win bonus. To be dropped might mean several weeks in the reserves and spam for tea.

Todays manager walks a fine line between discipline and losing the far to powerful dressing room. Fans don't help because they now blame everything on a manger and are more than happy to have ridiculously high turnovers in managers. To me that just lets the players of the hook. I loved Humphrys goal v Sunderland but the last thing i was going to do was to go on the pitch and celebrate with some of last seasons players.

Even when we have good reliable staff who don't need to much 'management' and are good value like JW.... Then fans want better.

For you to claim Bond doesn't have the skills to manage a L1 club is nonsense. He has been in the game long enough and at at good levels to have seen it all. Yes he looks more comfortable in a tracksuit then in a TV/radio studio......That's what I like about him.

If you have 2 very decent number 9's unavailable due to long term injuries. Or
If the team miss chances like Shaughnessy at Cov, and Theo last week. Even if the ball bounces of Lennon for an OG......Is that anything to do with tactics or man management?

You're quite right to say that football management is more than just (man)management.It most certainly is.That was a poor example.Yet you yourself said:-"Football has its own rules, so you cant apply the Peter Principle to football management". While I would agree that football certainly has "its own rules" as a form of management the Peter Principle applies to it ,just as it does to any other form of management.

Back in the day, (in the late 80's/early 90's) I used to use a well-known (at least in the TEFL world :Winking:) Business English (BE) coursebook which included an audio by Steve Coppell. (The unit was on motivational techniques,IIRC),Come to think of it, Stevie Coppell himself, might be,for many, an example of the Peter principle in action.Wonderful player that he was,despite winning 2 promotions from the Championship (with Palace and Reading), his management skills fell rather short of unqualified success at the top level where he'd played.Indeed, I see from Wiki that he's now coaching/managing in India ( just like your old mucker Phil Brown).

KB's own management skills are as, I've said, most certainly open to question.He's only previously managed Bournemouth at L1 level.,wher in his first season in 2006 he just kept them afloat.He obviously won't be achieving any Steve Coppell style promotions with SUFC this season.Indeed success for him with us in 2019/20,as an old mate of mine has said ,would be finishing 20th.As you say "He has been in the game long enough and at at good levels to have seen it all." Mostly as a coach, however, and practically never as a manager.Unless you want to include his experience in Hong Kong, as well? There 's a reason for that I'd imagine.You don't really have to look beyond his post -match conference after last week's Blackpool game to see why.His communication skills are poor.It will be interesting to hear him talk after the game at Lincoln tomorrow.

While I'd agree that injuries are always a factor in football, that didn't keep SCP in his job last season and it won't work for KB this time around,either.

You'll probably remember, I wasn't one of those calling for Phil Brown to quit (or be sacked).Though I found his defensive brand of football difficult to watch (even on iFollow :Winking: ).Also his constant touting for any job which became available up North was just embarrasing. I was heartbroken when SCP was sacked but with the benefit of hindsight (as useful in football as in life) it was the right decison.

Last edited:
If he were a great and proven man manager as well as top coach he wouldn’t be here.

Seems to me often KB will be as underrated as many of us armchair coaches are over rated (mainly by ourselves).

We love to blame someone for something even if we aren’t losing. Luckily RM is pretty loyal to his managers and will give KB plenty of time irrespective of the length of this thread..

Two league games in and already we’re slagging off the manager.
I know you’re pathetic Barna but some of the others I’m genuinely surprised about.
I honestly think some of you and far to many of you want to see Southend lose tomorrow.
Shame on you. Try supporting your team.

We have two very, very tough games coming up - today at Lincoln and home to Posh on Tuesday followed by a fairly tough game at Wycombe. It is quite possible that we will have zero points at the end of August.

If that's the case I can't see Ron sitting on his hands for very long.

There is clearly something different going on at the club. For many of our players this is uncomfortable and a long way from the CP relaxed atmosphere. I expect more than one player to be requesting a loan move or transfer before the end of the window. Things won't settle until KB gets his own players in... if he gets the chance.

It will only be winning matches that saves him and we do need to start getting points on the board.

We have two very, very tough games coming up - today at Lincoln and home to Posh on Tuesday followed by a fairly tough game at Wycombe. It is quite possible that we will have zero points at the end of August.

If that's the case I can't see Ron sitting on his hands for very long.

There is clearly something different going on at the club. For many of our players this is uncomfortable and a long way from the CP relaxed atmosphere. I expect more than one player to be requesting a loan move or transfer before the end of the window. Things won't settle until KB gets his own players in... if he gets the chance.

It will only be winning matches that saves him and we do need to start getting points on the board.

Anything whatsoever to back this up or just a hunch?

Two league games in and already we’re slagging off the manager.
I know you’re pathetic Barna but some of the others I’m genuinely surprised about.
I honestly think some of you and far to many of you want to see Southend lose tomorrow.

Shame on you. Try supporting your team.

:Fishing: Ok,I'll bite.Like any genuine SUFC fan I never want us to lose.However, this afternoon I suspect we will.Indeed, I'd agree with fbm that we'll probably have zero points by the end of August.I'll certainly be supporting us while I'm watching the match on iFollow.If I'm wrong I'll be the first to hold my hands up.Meanwhile you might try justifying your own opinion, as I did above at length, (in post 226 on this thread).Otherwise you risk coming across as something of an empty vessel.

Last edited:
Actually, sitting here listening to this on the wireless you lot have convinced me. The green shoots of recovery are showing.

The 1-0 loss to Cov I can take, the 3-1 loss to Blackpool who are a decent side I can take. But to lose 4-0 to a newly promoted side regardless of how they have a good squad is a joke!

His selection of McLaughlin and for not taking him off at half time has made me start to lose faith. Didn’t really want Bond the first time didn’t want him after the relegation save and definitely don’t want him now.

He doesn't have a clue on his best 11

He isn't getting anywehere near enough out of his players, not even close

His tactics are shocking

A dreadful, dreadful manager who will take us down

He won two games with us, one of which I feel partially influenced by a real managing legend.

Walking disaster

Absolute shocking result today. Getting relegated with two teams starting on -12 will be such a bitter pill to swallow.

Surely its better to make a change now than after Xmas when its too late.

On paper we have decent players. I genuinely believe that. The man is in his 60's, must be a reason he's barely managed.

I don't think it would be knee jerk to get rid of him. I would call employing him in the first place a huge gamble. We took the "not knee jerk" route last season and gave Powell at least 2 months longer than we should have and it almost destroyed us. It would be unacceptable for us to have another season like last year for Ron when he's clearly invested in bringing some decent players here. If anything, I think giving him the job full time was knee jerk based on an 89th minute winner in the last game of the season. Hard to post in a balanced way right now, and some may have a different opinion.

Back