• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm losing faith in Kevin Bond. Are you?

I'm losing faith in Kevin Bond - Are you?

• Total voters
Bonds record is appalling, if you include the cup game, he has only won 3 in 10 since arriving. That’s relegation form. Personally he only got the job full time as he kept us up, not because he necessarily deserved it. It might only be 4 games into the season, but no win on Tuesday and Saturday then I believe serious questions need to asked of Bond. I’m not one for sacking managers early in season or after a short spell of bad form, but I’m not convinced that Bond is the person to take the club forward.

Don’t get me wrong I like the way he is trying to get us to play out from the back and move the ball around on the deck, but we don’t seem to have all the players buying into as far too many are limping it as soon as we are under pressure.

We are lacking confidence which is having an impact on the way we are playing, as you need to be confident on the ball when under pressure and know that your team mates are going to be in a position to receive the ball and continue the passage of play.

As everyone keeps pointing out we haven’t kept a clean sheet since January and that has to be the one thing we need to get right as it gives you the opportunity to build and maybe even snatch a win which in turn will breed confidence.

I don’t believe the players have lost confidence in Bond as many of them have joined in the summer. But I do think we need to start seeing more committed performances from the whole team not just a select few.

From watching the game on Ifollow today and the others, I’d say Milligan, Ralph and Shaughnessy look like our best players currently, which is worrying, as all three are defence minded, yes Milligan can pick a pass and spread the ball out well. But ultimately he is in the there to win the turnover of the ball and set us on our way, which I think he is doing well.

Ok shaughnessy gave away the penalty today, but I thought overall he was good in the air and strong all round.

I would be looking at the likes of Milligan, Shaughnessy, Cox, Ridegwell and maybe even Oxley for their experience to hold a team meeting and Speak home truths.

three of the top four spots are teams we've played in the opening three games, might put it into context?... Posh are only one point ahead of us.... lets focus on tuesdays game now, shall we?

We all want KB to succeed but the early results this season raise questions about the Chairman's judgement. He had the opportunity after Chris Powell's departure to appoint someone with a solid managerial track record at this level, but he went for an accomplished coach instead. Let's hope things change for the better quickly. But if they do not I think the best option is go for someone like Gary Rowett. He won't be cheap but the alternative options look even more expensive.

I really don’t understand this knee jerk reaction this early in the season.

Last season was a disaster with an old injury ravaged squad, this cannot be overhauled in 1 transfer window ...we simply do not have the finances and is probably questionable whether it would reap instance rewards in any case (Gillingham and Peterborough currently).

The injured players from last year are still out injured ...but many stated this as a reason that Powell should be kept as he hasn’t had a fair crack of the whip despite being on a 400 game losing streak , so why not give Bond the same breathing space 3 games in.

What has happened so far ?? We we have shipped out the deadwood and high earners that we could and replaced them with, in most peoples opinion, better players. We are clearly looking to play a different style from last season and still developing the squad so there are bound to be a number of team changes in these early games.

Also we have that losing mentality from last year as Lincoln have carried over that winning mentality, that will take time to change ....we have been there on the flip side when we were promoted.

We are not going to be a top 10 side this season, we were too far off the pace last season but feel we are making the right, albeit small steps in the right direction. As fans we need to get behind the team and give it full support especially at home rather than the negativity which is currently in abundance. Having people calling for the managers head less than 100 minutes into a new season is madness....how many times have we looked at other teams that have sacked managers half a dozen games in and stated how mad it is and it isn’t sufficient time to draw conclusions ?

So come on let’s get behind the team...it has improved despite the same injured players being out and let’s see where we are in 5 or 6 games time.....you don’t get relegated or promoted in September :Thumbs up:

We all want KB to succeed but the early results this season raise questions about the Chairman's judgement. He had the opportunity after Chris Powell's departure to appoint someone with a solid managerial track record at this level, but he went for an accomplished coach instead. Let's hope things change for the better quickly. But if they do not I think the best option is go for someone like Gary Rowett. He won't be cheap but the alternative options look even more expensive.

Gary Rowett the pundit guest on Quest highlights tonight.

Barrett was a warrior as a player. A leader. A captain

Powell just played for us. The 2 are completely different. I am lead to believe that a meeting between AB sand Ron has taken place since Bond has been appointed

Rob Newman was a warrior. Chris Powell played for England. Then again so did Alvin Martin.

Think the only thing that saved Bond last season was the return of Kiernan,who made a huge difference covering the poor centre back pairings and also helped the unbalanced midfield. Milligan should have been a solution....but then we let Drew go and again we lack bite in midfield .Hutchinson is far too lightweight in the tackle and is still developing....unfortunately now is the wrong time to blood him.Also bringing in 2 young inexperienced players on loan is a big gamble when we need 100%committed players in the core positions
Has Bond got the motivational and organisational skills .I think Rochdale last season answered the first question and the fact we don't have a settled pattern or team the second.

I want Bond to succeed and prove me wrong but again injuries haven't been kind .After a full pre season we shouldn't be in this position and looking like a team of individuals with no plan

I think we are all agreed that we need an experienced tough tackling midfielder and hopefully Bond will address that.
Think the only thing that saved Bond last season was the return of Kiernan,who made a huge difference covering the poor centre back pairings and also helped the unbalanced midfield. Milligan should have been a solution....but then we let Drew go and again we lack bite in midfield .Hutchinson is far too lightweight in the tackle and is still developing....unfortunately now is the wrong time to blood him.Also bringing in 2 young inexperienced players on loan is a big gamble when we need 100%committed players in the core positions
Has Bond got the motivational and organisational skills .I think Rochdale last season answered the first question and the fact we don't have a settled pattern or team the second.

I want Bond to succeed and prove me wrong but again injuries haven't been kind .After a full pre season we shouldn't be in this position and looking like a team of individuals with no plan

Absolutely agree re midfield (our weakest area last season imo) - Anthony Grant ?

I'd welcome Phil Brown back with open arms. At least he could organise a defence and make us hard to beat. Didn't think getting rid of him was the right call at the time.
Think you’ve got a short memory mate, Brown was very poor, entertainment was nil, Give Bond 10 games, but Brown you can have my season ticket for £50

The appointment of Bond was the death knell for my family season tickets.

I am hoping to be 100% wrong but the appointment felt uninspired and I couldn’t see a decent season with KB in charge.

The man with most to gain here may just be Gary Waddock - and that’s a scary thought according to my Aldershot (thanks Rigbsy) supporting work mate!

Last edited:
The appointment of Bond was the death knell for my family season tickets
The man with most to gain here may just be Gary Waddock - and that’s a scary thought according to my Aldersgate supporting work mate!

Fierce rivals with Barbican i'm told.

Always thought half a dozen league/cup games 'should' be enough time for a manager (and his support team) to work out the best side in terms of strength and tactics so reckon the next three games will be the acid test. Depending on those three results, RM should - if he's not done so already - commit or replace. The signings made generally look pretty good for our level - it all now relies on how they're guided.

Back