• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm losing faith in Kevin Bond. Are you?

I'm losing faith in Kevin Bond - Are you?

• Total voters
The appointment of Bond was the death knell for my family season tickets.

I am hoping to be 100% wrong but the appointment felt uninspired and I couldn’t see a decent season with KB in charge.

The man with most to gain here may just be Gary Waddock - and that’s a scary thought according to my Aldershot (thanks Rigbsy) supporting work mate!
Waddocks managerial record is awful, what he is like as a coach I don't know.

The appointment of Bond was the death knell for my family season tickets.

I am hoping to be 100% wrong but the appointment felt uninspired and I couldn’t see a decent season with KB in charge.

The man with most to gain here may just be Gary Waddock - and that’s a scary thought according to my Aldershot (thanks Rigbsy) supporting work mate!

This season is the first in 31 years that I haven't had a season ticket. Last year was the worst home season in our history for results which played a big part in that decision, the other was the appointment of Bond which was quite clearly the wrong choice long term. I hope I'm wrong but last seasons great escape could only delay the inevitable with this management team and group of players. If we lose on Tuesday night then surely Bond's future must be in doubt.

if wasn't for bolton and burys problems they would be bottom

Which is probably giving him a little breathing space?.
And like several others have commented, I just cant see the club having the funds to pay him off & afford a new Manager?.
If that scenario does occur within the next couple of months, subject to us still struggling, then Ron's cheap option would be to promote Gary Waddock, which imo would be a massive gamble?.

I don't know who would make a good manager at our club .But there must be someone out there better than that clown we have in charge at present . I don't normaly turn on a manager so soon .But I didn't think he was the right man for the job now it up to him to prove me wrong .

So as fans we’ve given up after three league games?
FFS, can’t believe I’m reading some of this.
Chris Powell has gone.
Steve Tilson has gone.
About time some of you got over it.

I’ve given up after three terrible league games, a far from convincing back end to last season and the fact I didn’t want him in the first place.

Questions to you is, why do you think this bloke will turn it around?

We know that Ron is patient with managers but I don't think he will wait too long this time if things continue as they are.

I’ve given up after three terrible league games, a far from convincing back end to last season and the fact I didn’t want him in the first place.

Questions to you is, why do you think this bloke will turn it around?

Because of the signings he's made.
Surely he deserves more of a chance than he is currently being given on this board.

This is the first time since 1992 that we have lost the First 3 league games in , what is now , the Championship (that year we lost the league cup games as well) Manager Colin Murphy , relegation was avoided by the signing of a player and the canning of the manager .
I can't see us signing Stan Collymore , so its up to Barry Fry........

Personally I think the players are of high enough Calibre to keep us up, but they need to be able to play together. That's down to the manager , If the system he has decided upon is is not working (which appears to be the case) and is not suited to the players (which is the rumour) then he needs to be man enough to stand up and say it isn't working and magnanimous to shoulder the responsibility for it (not saying that the players aren't up to the tactics) if he does that very soon , he should be given longer, if he doesn't then he needs to go promptly.

I said during Browns reign that we were due a poor manager (Bate, Murphy, Martin ,Wignall were a while ago now? I fear this may be him. Its time for Ron to look into his eyes.......

Last edited:
Same question to you, what have you seen from Bond that suggests he is going to turn this around?

He kept us up last year with a squad decimated by injuries. When he arrived the team had no confidence and would have in my opinion been relegated if he had not changed tactics. The team looked fitter and played with more confidence which resulted in us staying up.
He had brought in a number of new players which need to gel. If things do not change by October then yes maybe we need to look to change but not now.

I don’t understand why fans continue to want former Southend players (with no/no recent managerial experience) to manage us. The appointment of Powell was a bit of a disaster (albeit not helped by injuries).
The fans influenced the sacking of Brown (one of the best managers we have had) and the appointment of Powell which in hindsight were both the wrong decisions.

He kept us up last year with a squad decimated by injuries. When he arrived the team had no confidence and would have in my opinion been relegated if he had not changed tactics. The team looked fitter and played with more confidence which resulted in us staying up.
He had brought in a number of new players which need to gel. If things do not change by October then yes maybe we need to look to change but not now.
Under normal circumstances I would totally agree with you.

We never start well and even in promotion seasons have waited until September before we get going.

But the difference this time is what's actually coming out of the club. We know we've got the players but there is so much bad stuff this time around that even I, as probably one of the most unbelievably blue tinted optimists on here, cannot see how KB can turn this around unless he has a dramatic rethink. That in itself would be a hard thing to do as you're effectively saying that the players have won; as a manager you'd struggle to impose your authority again. It's possible to do but it's got to be done right.

So, let's say we lose tomorrow and Saturday. 5 games, nil points and with one more game in August at home to Rochdale. Do we wait and see?

We then have Portsmouth away, a flying Fleetwood at home followed by 2 more away games at Shrewsbury and MK Dons, never easy games.

Then we're at 21st September, personally playing the way we are I can't see us winning any of them. I think that's the main issue... we can't score, we've improved the squad, we only start playing when we are behind... how long does Ron wait? We'd be cut adrift at the bottom.

I'm all for giving managers time but there is something very, very different this time around.

We stayed up last season because there were four teams unbelievably worse than ourselves. I really don’t see these changes he has made that others have seen. We still can’t defend, we still get bullied in midfield and to add to all that, we now look utterly clueless going forward. Whilst I agree that we have signed well.. on paper, he has a coach/manager just doesn’t fill me with any confidence what so ever. I’ve never hidden the fact that I didn’t want the bloke to get the job full time in the first place but was willing to see how it goes but yes, even after 3 games.. which by the way performances are getting worse each game.. I want him gone.

I'd welcome Phil Brown back with open arms. At least he could organise a defence and make us hard to beat. Didn't think getting rid of him was the right call at the time.

Yes it was because he'd completely lost the dressing room with his bizarre post-match comments and we'd lost seven games out of eight. Don't get me wrong, I think Brown did a decent job overall but let's not get rosy-eyed, it was the right time for him to go.

The problem with sacking a manager this early in the season is there aren't many decent managers out of work. The only ones who spring to mind are Gary Rowett and Keith Hill.

I don’t understand why fans continue to want former Southend players (with no/no recent managerial experience) to manage us. The appointment of Powell was a bit of a disaster (albeit not helped by injuries).
The fans influenced the sacking of Brown (one of the best managers we have had) and the appointment of Powell which in hindsight were both the wrong decisions.
The fans had every right to be ****ed off with Brown because he kept trying to whore himself out to any bigger club north of Watford, loyalty works both ways !!!

I had a nightmare last night, this losing streak is part of a master plan to get Harry in. We lose the next 3 and Harry comes in with Bond reverting to his usual assistant role. Harry has his Sandbanks house dismantled brick by brick and rebuilt on Canvey Island.

Back